• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carrying at the St. George Marathon???

TigerLily

Am new to Utah and live near the starting line for Saturday's annual marathon. A neighbor told me that if I open carry I would likely be hauled off to jail. I oc'd yesterday during some of the preparations. Here's a quick vid. There was no drama.

Has anyone ever known any 'civilian' to o.c. at this particular event? If so, how did it go? If not, would you care to join me?

Thank you.

Lily

http://youtu.be/w6XrD2oIjUY

TigerLily

A Utah Cop that knew when to DISENGAGE!

So, I open carried in the morning while the 8000+ marathoners were there. They were bussed in from St. George by school buses. Police presence was minimal. There was a sheriff watching over about a dozen inmates that were fetching wood for the fires that were going out. I was with a friend who was told by that sheriff "you're not to record us." It was public property, but okay, I didn't want to create a scene or emasculate him in front of his inmates. So I asked my friend to turn it off. Of course, I had my stealth spyware running (at least I think I did - haven't checked it.) I told him that there were a lot of marathoners that were peeing and pooping on the public grounds (despite some 260 portapotties lined up in a row.) Sheriff told me he had already called for more police.

At day break, while still open carrying, one of the sheriffs approached my friend who was riding one of my quads. That friend is very young looking. The sheriff said to us, "How old are you guys?" My friend was quick on the spot and said, "Are we being detained?" So I said, "Yeah, are we being detained?" The sheriff said, "Yes." I asked "For what reason?" Sheriff said, "you have to be 18 to ride a quad without a helmet." Then he asked my friend, "How old are you?" I replied for him to say, "We're not in the habit of giving away our 5th." The sheriff said, "Well, you have to be 18 to ride without a helmet and we'll leave it at that."

WOW. Very impressive. That sheriff knew when to DISENGAGE - unlike what I'm used to in Las Vegas. Good for him, but then again, it's a misdemeanor to pee and poop in public - where were those law enforcers when the HUNDREDS of marathoners were peeing and pooping in public?

Rhetorical question - I know about how money talks. At $80 a pop for each marathoner x 8,000+ runners, well YOU do the math. I don't do numbers.