Thread: Clarification for Iredell County?

Clarification for Iredell County?

Hey guys, I am a new guy and recently was told I could carry openly at 20 years old (my current age). So I searched through here, and I found information confirming that. So I got very excited and went today to the Statesville Sheriff's Office and tried to apply for a PPP. I was promptly asked for my ID, which I asked why. The woman told me that I had to be 21 to either carry or purchase a handgun. I my response was to ask if this was an "Open Carry" state, she said it was. I asked if I could own a handgun at 18+, she again confirmed this. I asked, since I ride a motorcycle, for personal protection if I was allowed to carry said gun, and she declined, stating in the state of NC, it is illegal for anyone under the age of 21 to possess a handgun. I have a feeling I was misinformed, so I am coming here for some clarification.

Here's what I am trying to do. My dad is obviously over the age of 21, and will be purchasing a handgun for me this weekend. I am pretty sure this is legal, and would not fall under a straw sell, if he gifts it to me. I intend to carry this handgun, in open sight, in public in Iredell county. I live in Mooresville, but travel through Troutman and Statesville for work and leisure. Is any of this illegal, and if not, do I really even need a PPP, if my dad is going to gift it to me? Also, what paperwork should be filed to transfer the gun to my name. For example, if I leave the gun my truck, to go into a Govt building, and it is stolen, and used in a crime, I do not want my dad in any tied to that firearm. Lastly, does my father have to file the gun under his name for purchase, and can he buy it, and put it in my name straight out?

Sorry if I have repeated any questions addressed in other threads, I just want to make sure I am as specific as possible, as I leave for the military in a month, and cannot afford any legal trouble from carrying.

The sheriff's representative is WRONG.

Can you buy a gun if you are under 21? Yes, if you buy it from a private individual. No, if you are buying it from an FFL (dealer, pawn shop, etc.).

You are required to have a Pistol Purchase Permit from the sheriff for any handgun transaction, including your dad buying it for you. He should buy it for himself; when you get the PPP, he can then "sell" or gift it to you. Without your obtaining the PPP, he would be guilty of a "straw purchase" (getting a gun for someone not able to get it themself).

There is no requirement for paperwork to transfer the gun from your dad to you other than the PPP. You also are not required to actually give the PPP to a private individual, just show that you have one. Only in Durham County is there gun registration.

If the gun is stolen and you report it immediately, complete with make/model/caliber/serial number, then neither you nor your dad would be in the wrong. Unless of course, you had it where you shouldn't, but that's a whole different issue.

Can you carry (OC) a handgun if you are under 21? Yes, absolutely. It also does not have to be yours..

http://www.ncga.state.nc.us/gascript...l?Chapter=0014

Read 14-402. 403, 404. Print it out, or just write down the reference and show to the person who misinformed you.

You can't buy the ammunition for a handgun until you are 21. bummer

Print out a copy of the NC sticky and carry it with you. Be real familiar with NCGS Chapter 14.

"Carry" on!
    Last edited by bc.cruiser; 10-05-2012 at 09:33 PM.

BC has it right. i would add that you can carry the gun no matter who owns it. if it is in your possession.

the PPP (stupid law) is only for the purchaser. it does not mean anything to ownership.

I will try to give them a call in Iredell county monday
    Luke 22:36 ; 36Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.

"guns are like a Parachute, if you don't have one when you need it, you will not need one again"
    - unknown

i you call a CHP a CCW then you are really stupid. period.

Quote Originally Posted by papa bear View Post
    I will try to give them a call in Iredell county monday
    Good job on the help. Let us know how it goes.