Thread: Carrying in a polling place?

Carrying in a polling place?

I will be volunteering as a poll observer at the Herb Young Community Center in Cary.
    I have not seen any signs at that location and so don't know if carry is permitted there normally (please tell me if it isn't).

Assuming that one can normally carry there, is CC allowed at a polling place?

Thanks in advance.

I wouldn't do it. Most polling places I have ever been to are on school grounds or in government buildings. Somehow I don't see an organized gov't event and a topic as sensitive as voting allowing handguns to be present.
    Last edited by TDFbound; 10-05-2012 at 08:42 PM.

I just went through this on another forum: I can find nothing in state law prohibiting firearms in polling places just because they are polling places. If guns are otherwise not allowed at the site, they will still not be allowed.
    Check local ordinances also.

My early voting place is a community center which is posted and sits adjacent to a school and across the street from the USPS. My regular place is a fire station where I can carry.

Mine is usually a Baptist church...no signs that I have seen.
    If something is wrong for ONE person to do to another, it is still wrong if a BILLION people do it.

I think I may have answered my own question (as least for my location):
    http://www.townofcary.org/Department...wn_of_Cary.htm

The Town of Cary does not allow a concealed handgun in [bold]town-owned buildings[/bold], on the appurtenant premises of those buildings, or in town recreation facilities as defined by G.S. 14-415.23, which are all town playgrounds, athletic fields and athletic facilities. A list of recreational facilities shall be set out in a Schedule of Recreational Facilities at which Concealed Handguns are Prohibited which shall be updated as necessary and retained permanently in the office of the Director, Parks, Recreation and Cultural Resources. Notwithstanding the foregoing, nothing in this section shall prohibit a concealed handgun permittee from securing the handgun within an enclosed compartment of a locked motor vehicle. We encourage you to keep firearms and other valuables secured and out of sight. See Section 22-51(1) of the Town of Cary Code of Ordinances.
    I assume the Herb Young Community Center is owned by the Town of Cary.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Bradburn View Post
    I think I may have answered my own question (as least for my location):
    http://www.townofcary.org/Department...wn_of_Cary.htm

The Town of Cary does not allow a concealed handgun in [bold]town-owned buildings[/bold], on the appurtenant premises of those buildings, or in town recreation facilities as defined by G.S. 14-415.23, which are all town playgrounds, athletic fields and athletic facilities. A list of recreational facilities shall be set out in a Schedule of Recreational Facilities at which Concealed Handguns are Prohibited which shall be updated as necessary and retained permanently in the office of the Director, Parks, Recreation and Cultural Resources. Notwithstanding the foregoing, nothing in this section shall prohibit a concealed handgun permittee from securing the handgun within an enclosed compartment of a locked motor vehicle. We encourage you to keep firearms and other valuables secured and out of sight. See Section 22-51(1) of the Town of Cary Code of Ordinances.
    I assume the Herb Young Community Center is owned by the Town of Cary.
    This is OC...
    If something is wrong for ONE person to do to another, it is still wrong if a BILLION people do it.