• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Carrying in a polling place?

Greg Bradburn

I will be volunteering as a poll observer at the Herb Young Community Center in Cary.
I have not seen any signs at that location and so don't know if carry is permitted there normally (please tell me if it isn't).

Assuming that one can normally carry there, is CC allowed at a polling place?

Thanks in advance.

TDFbound

I wouldn't do it. Most polling places I have ever been to are on school grounds or in government buildings. Somehow I don't see an organized gov't event and a topic as sensitive as voting allowing handguns to be present.

Last edited:

bc.cruiser

I just went through this on another forum: I can find nothing in state law prohibiting firearms in polling places just because they are polling places. If guns are otherwise not allowed at the site, they will still not be allowed.
Check local ordinances also.

My early voting place is a community center which is posted and sits adjacent to a school and across the street from the USPS. My regular place is a fire station where I can carry.

Greg Bradburn

I think I may have answered my own question (as least for my location):
http://www.townofcary.org/Departments/police/Community_Services/Firearms_within_the_Town_of_Cary.htm

The Town of Cary does not allow a concealed handgun in [bold]town-owned buildings[/bold], on the appurtenant premises of those buildings, or in town recreation facilities as defined by G.S. 14-415.23, which are all town playgrounds, athletic fields and athletic facilities. A list of recreational facilities shall be set out in a Schedule of Recreational Facilities at which Concealed Handguns are Prohibited which shall be updated as necessary and retained permanently in the office of the Director, Parks, Recreation and Cultural Resources. Notwithstanding the foregoing, nothing in this section shall prohibit a concealed handgun permittee from securing the handgun within an enclosed compartment of a locked motor vehicle. We encourage you to keep firearms and other valuables secured and out of sight. See Section 22-51(1) of the Town of Cary Code of Ordinances.

I assume the Herb Young Community Center is owned by the Town of Cary.

carolina guy

I think I may have answered my own question (as least for my location):
http://www.townofcary.org/Departments/police/Community_Services/Firearms_within_the_Town_of_Cary.htm

The Town of Cary does not allow a concealed handgun in [bold]town-owned buildings[/bold], on the appurtenant premises of those buildings, or in town recreation facilities as defined by G.S. 14-415.23, which are all town playgrounds, athletic fields and athletic facilities. A list of recreational facilities shall be set out in a Schedule of Recreational Facilities at which Concealed Handguns are Prohibited which shall be updated as necessary and retained permanently in the office of the Director, Parks, Recreation and Cultural Resources. Notwithstanding the foregoing, nothing in this section shall prohibit a concealed handgun permittee from securing the handgun within an enclosed compartment of a locked motor vehicle. We encourage you to keep firearms and other valuables secured and out of sight. See Section 22-51(1) of the Town of Cary Code of Ordinances.

I assume the Herb Young Community Center is owned by the Town of Cary.

This is OC... ;)