• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

First Timer

Blue996tt

Welcome. Maybe you should give her a little taste of her own medicine. Maybe sign her up for a couple hundred magazine subscriptions. Better yet invite some religious groups over to her home for coffee !!

okiebryan

Director, Oklahoma Open Carry Association
Be very careful as even possessing a firearm locked in your trunk while on school or daycare property is a serious crime. If someone sees your holster and deduces from that you have a firearm in your car, calls the cops, you could be in trouble.

Just a word of warning.

TBG

Aren't the 4th and 5th amendments grand? "Sorry, officer. I don't consent to searches, and I don't care to answer any questions. Am I being detained, or am I free to go?" Lather, rinse, repeat.

An empty holster is in no way, shape or form probable cause for a search or an arrest.

VegasMom

Aren't the 4th and 5th amendments grand? "Sorry, officer. I don't consent to searches, and I don't care to answer any questions. Am I being detained, or am I free to go?" Lather, rinse, repeat.

An empty holster is in no way, shape or form probable cause for a search or an arrest.

I will definitely remember that. I don't seem to attract police attention though, except for the time I got carded for being in CVS at 2am (they thought I was underage and out past curfew). Anyway, it seems like the stalker has given up for now. We traced all her calls so the phone company has a record, documented it with the police and finally got google to suspend her account. The address she thought she was SO smart in getting, was our old house on the SW side of town so we called the property manager and let them know who to blame in case something happened to that property. I am also filing a complaint with Smith's, her employer. It's a lot of work. Seriously, when did people get so crazy?

My 4 year old is really excited that mom carries so I'm going to keep doing it. She asks every day if Walter (yes, she named it and no it's not a very creative name)can come with us. "We left Walter in the car" is probably safer than her saying "we left the gun in the car" anyway, right? She tells people it protects her from crazy people and ZOMBIES!!! I guess that's a good ice breaker because I have yet to have any negative contact.....or maybe I've just been lucky. I'm sure someone will eventually put their foot in their mouth and I'm sure you guys will help me figure out how to deal with them properly. Does anyone know how to install a filter between the brain and the mouth? Sometimes mine doesn't work.

EMNofSeattle

"Walter" That's funny!

As far as dealing with Anti's who criticize your decision, I would just walk away. some people will turn the slightest bit of resistance from you and then call the cops and claim you're menacing them or whatever. if someone is curious talk to them about why you carry, if they're hostile just say "well you have the right to disagree with me" and walk away. I know it's tempting to lay down the law in front of them but generally mouthing off to people is a good way to get in trouble.

Welcome to OCDO btw.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I will definitely remember that. I don't seem to attract police attention though, except for the time I got carded for being in CVS at 2am (they thought I was underage and out past curfew). Anyway, it seems like the stalker has given up for now. We traced all her calls so the phone company has a record, documented it with the police and finally got google to suspend her account. The address she thought she was SO smart in getting, was our old house on the SW side of town so we called the property manager and let them know who to blame in case something happened to that property. I am also filing a complaint with Smith's, her employer. It's a lot of work. Seriously, when did people get so crazy?

My 4 year old is really excited that mom carries so I'm going to keep doing it. She asks every day if Walter (yes, she named it and no it's not a very creative name)can come with us. "We left Walter in the car" is probably safer than her saying "we left the gun in the car" anyway, right? She tells people it protects her from crazy people and ZOMBIES!!! I guess that's a good ice breaker because I have yet to have any negative contact.....or maybe I've just been lucky. I'm sure someone will eventually put their foot in their mouth and I'm sure you guys will help me figure out how to deal with them properly. Does anyone know how to install a filter between the brain and the mouth? Sometimes mine doesn't work.

Google is a search engine, not a service provider - do you mean her internet provider suspended her service?

I would be careful what I said about her to her employer other than maybe pointing out apparent personal use of company computer on company time. This can be a touchy subject.

Good on raising your daughter responsibly and yes kids do say the darndest things.

Hope that this all soon becomes old history for you.

twoskinsonemanns

Welcome Vegasmom!
For what's it's worth I would de-escalate the situation not the opposite. This woman obviously feels like your craigslist dealings were not above-board. Now I am all for standing up for yourself against wrong, but I would take a good look at your deal with her and make sure it was on the up and up. This kinda of thing can spin out of control real quick. I'd hate to see it end with people getting hurt.

I can certainly imagine a scenario where one person sells another person a car with a tranny full of saw dust and they guy flips out and burns the sellers house down or something.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
... "We left Walter in the car" is probably safer than her saying "we left the gun in the car" anyway, right? ...

These days, I was thinking the opposite. People will think it's her little brother or her puppy, and they will call the cops. Best she learn quickly not to mention it at all...

FallonJeeper

Don't carry within 1000 ft of the school property. If "Walter" is unloaded and locked in a case, before you enter the Federal Gun Fee School Zone (FGFSZ), while in the FGFSZ, and kept there until you leave FGFSZ then you are ok.

You can avoid most of the hassle by getting your Nevada CCW. I carry 100% of the time, where permitted. I also have my NV CCW. I can transit through all FGFSZ's with no worry. I had to go to my kid's school today. I did as you did and parked on an adjacent street, pulled my firearm from my holster and locked it in the glove box. Then I locked the vehicle and walked on to school property, with an empty holster. They can call the Police, and/or follow me to my vehicle. I'm well with the definition of the laws as I DON'T carry on school property (Nevada law), and I'm legal to carry in the FGFSZ(1000 ft within school property) with my NV CCW (Federal Law) .

Be careful!

Last edited:

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
Don't carry within 1000 ft of the school property. If "Walter" is unloaded and locked in a case, before you enter the Federal Gun Fee School Zone (FGFSZ), while in the FGFSZ, and kept there until you leave FGFSZ then you are ok...!

I can't argue against correct legal advice. But this is unenforced in NV and most states.

You can argue that it illegal to conceal a firearm in a box in your hands, even while in your own home, too. You'd be stating correct law, but we all know it is stupid and not enforced.

FallonJeeper

I can't argue against correct legal advice. But this is unenforced in NV and most states.

You can argue that it illegal to conceal a firearm in a box in your hands, even while in your own home, too. You'd be stating correct law, but we all know it is stupid and not enforced.

Whether it is enforced or not, that was not the point of my post. I know the law exists. I was merely stating what the FGFSZ law states as an option.

We've had this discussion in a number of threads. I agree it's stupid and not generally enforced, but... my only point is, knowing that there are State and Federal laws regarding carry of firearms on and around school property, that's what you have to do, to be 100% compliant.

What are the chances of getting caught/prosecuted probably near 0% but... it's simple enough to avoid violating the law. Or, just take your chances.

The choice is ultimately up to the individual. I am NOT advocating violating any law simply because many belive it is not enforced.

By the way, since the Lopez case, I can't find any other prosecuted cases, but I did see mentioned that "no cases, tried under the new act, have been overturned".

Last edited:

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
Don't carry within 1000 ft of the school property. ...

You did more than merely state the law exists. You told her to obey it.

I didn't say you were wrong in doing so. I pointed out information she should know to decide for herself if she should obey it or not.

I mentioned the law already in post #20.

Last edited:

FallonJeeper

You did more than merely state the law exists. You told her to obey it.

I didn't say you were wrong in doing so. I pointed out information she should know to decide for herself if she should obey it or not.

I mentioned the law already in post #20.

You are correct, as I would say don't carry a firearm, in your car anywhere on school property, as was also stated.

It doesn't translate well in forum threads. I would never direct/command or tell someone to obey a certain law. You are also correct, it's up to the individual to make a choice on how they obey or don't obey a law.

I was just pointing out that there are options.

Perhaps I should have said "If you carry within 1000 ft of School property (listing the exceptions) then you are in violation of the FGFSZ act". And left it at that. But I'm originally from Buffalo, NY and that's how we talk. We tend to be a bit direct. Not the first/last time it's been/will be mentioned ;o) Thanks for pointing it out.

Be safe I think we're on the same page.