• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New to OC.org First Handgun Suggestions?

ScottE

What is not popular on OCDO is constant sniping and negative insinuations. You should take heed to that regard. Pushing the limit on what is acceptable here is not a way to insure your continued enjoyment of this forum.

It has been said countless ways that educating and training are good - one can never have too much. Even at that, the lack of same should not preclude anyone from the right of self- defense.

Also continued misdirection/sidetracking/highjacking of a thread is bad form. In this thread the OP has asked for "first handgun suggestions" - the rest is off-topic.

Sorry for the negative posts. I think its the overall mindset of most OCers that drives me nuts and brings out the total ***** in me. It's weird how carry method can create two different mindsets/tactics, or lack there of. Because I don't OC, I really haven't learned a whole lot here, since this forum is restricted solely to something I don't do. So I may not stop by too often. I used to post here, then stopped for a little while, then came back for another try. But in all honesty it's a waste of my time. Yeah I know, don't let the door hit ya in the ass on the way out.

EMNofSeattle

Sorry for the negative posts. I think its the overall mindset of most OCers that drives me nuts and brings out the total ***** in me. It's weird how carry method can create two different mindsets/tactics, or lack there of. Because I don't OC, I really haven't learned a whole lot here, since this forum is restricted solely to something I don't do. So I may not stop by too often. I used to post here, then stopped for a little while, then came back for another try. But in all honesty it's a waste of my time. Yeah I know, don't let the door hit ya in the ass on the way out.

This forum has never been restricted to OC only issues, there are plenty of convo's about CC and general RKBA issues, the deal with you is that you made yourself an expert on everything.

OC= you're a bunch of attention ****** who get in fights with cops
OC= tactically unsound, concealed carry magically grants you an advantage
SERPA= a bunch of morons who are waiting to shoot themselves

me describing my mommy's gen3 Glock to spec= I don't anything about glocks because apparently I have to own a gen4 to know what I'm talking about.

You haven't exactly been friendly in how you communicate your ideas. I'll admit I have that same problem, but I make efforts to get along here, you seem to believe you automatically know everything.

ScottE

This forum has never been restricted to OC only issues, there are plenty of convo's about CC and general RKBA issues, the deal with you is that you made yourself an expert on everything.

OC= you're a bunch of attention ****** who get in fights with cops
OC= tactically unsound, concealed carry magically grants you an advantage
SERPA= a bunch of morons who are waiting to shoot themselves

me describing my mommy's gen3 Glock to spec= I don't anything about glocks because apparently I have to own a gen4 to know what I'm talking about.

You haven't exactly been friendly in how you communicate your ideas. I'll admit I have that same problem, but I make efforts to get along here, you seem to believe you automatically know everything.

I agree.

Although my comment about Glock misinformation wasn't targeted at you. Your info was spot on.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by Grapeshot

What is not popular on OCDO is constant sniping and negative insinuations. You should take heed to that regard. Pushing the limit on what is acceptable here is not a way to insure your continued enjoyment of this forum.

It has been said countless ways that educating and training are good - one can never have too much. Even at that, the lack of same should not preclude anyone from the right of self- defense.

Also continued misdirection/sidetracking/highjacking of a thread is bad form. In this thread the OP has asked for "first handgun suggestions" - the rest is off-topic.

Part of the problem ScottE is the apparent ridicule/low esteem in which you seem hold us. We do not demand that everybody OC or even for that matter own a gun. What we do ask is that we be allowed to choose for ourselves that method of carry that best fits who and what we are. Do we promote OC? Without a doubt, but we use facts, not emotions, to make our point. We are by and large very responsible people and we believe in obeying the laws.

We are from all walks of life: business men, housewives, tradesmen, been there and done that guys, young and old. Me I've got more than a few years under my belt, experienced much in life, but never been frightened by the sight of a gun on the hip of a LAC. We accentuate the positive and it is working/succeeding across this country.

Contrary to what you might think, there is no intention to run you off. There is no personal vendetta, but we will keep the forum as clean as we can from unwarranted attacks. You might learn something from us if you give it a chance. Whatever you do, I wish you well with your life choices.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
...And while not popular advice on this forum, if you carry concealed (at least in more urban/suburban areas), you won't have 95% of the problems that people that post on this forum have. :cool:

Again, while not popular advice on this forum, once you get your firearm, please get some basic training that will educate yourself on the laws regarding carrying in your state...

Uh, I realize you are making a habit of showing your ignorance around here, but don't you think it matters that the OP is in ARIZONA?

As for training, it is usually highly recommended. It is also acknowledged that it is not a requirement for a RIGHT guaranteed (not granted) in the Constitution.

Perhaps you should get some training in free speech, while you are at it, though it's not popular to recommend such.

mustangkiller

I carry a Taurus 24/7 pro. It comes in 9mm and .40. They are less than $500 by a long **** and the Gen 2 models are ambi. I bought mine gently used for $300. They are striker fired and have second strike capability. I've pit about 1k rounds thru it and so far love it.

Mozer!

In regards to the handgun education, of course. Like I said in my second post I was planning on taking a basic handgun course from this place. http://www.marksmanpistol.com/ Although I think they require you to be 21 to take the course since they "issue" you a handgun. I don't feel like waiting until I'm 21 though. Hopefully I can get some extra cash over the holiday break to buy a handgun then I also found a range near Tuscon that hold NRA courses as well. Bottom line is yes I am going to take classes and try my best to be a responsible gun owner and not just someone carrying a gun on their belt trying to seek attention.

Oh btw I will do some more research and check out Glocks. I'm sure you can get "pre-owned" Glocks for a bargain!

Thanks for the posts again everyone!