• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Is FMJ ok for the Zombie Apocalypse?

jimpen

This may be a dumb question and have been asked before.

I'm a civilian. On a day to day basis, whether OC or CC, I carry hollow points because I want to limit pass through if I had to fire in a "crowded" situation. I hit the target but don't want to go through the target and hit the innocent behind them.

I practice with FMJ because its cheaper.

Cheaper Than Dirt, and others, have things like the 9mm TulAmmo FMJ 115 Grain 900 Round Spam Can for $179.79. So does anyone see any problems with stocking up, in the right calibers for me, to use if everything dropped in the pot, the zombies strike, society collapses, etc?

I'm thinking of putting several different spam cans in my cache.

Wolfgang1952

Just make sure you use BRASS case rounds fo your hand guns. All my ammo for my handguns are JHP and most of all my ammo for my long guns are FMJ with a little of JSP for hunting big game. I don’t use any thing made mad in OLD MOTHER RUSSIA for any my Hand Guns, or Long Guns.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
I don't see why FMJ wouldn't be good enough. Maybe a couple boxes of premium hollow-points for carry, and the rest for barter and whatever comes up.

Maybe check the ballistics tables on whatever brand FMJ you're thinking to use. I kinda suspect Winchester USA brand might be loaded to a practice velocity rather than a combat velocity. Just satisfy yourself that whatever you're stocking up on isn't wimpy in the velocity department.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
A very important thing is accuracy. Tula is known for poor accuracy; you can sometimes expect up to double the size of your groups.

I'm a huge fan of FMJ. For self-defense on the streets, the hollow-point has great advantages in high-velocity calibers, as you know, but FMJ is clearly the go-to choice for SHTF. Stockpile it!

FWIW, I carry FMJ everyday. But in a .45 it's not as big a deal. I never have to worry about my practice ammo and my defense ammo being different in any way.

Jack House

I don't see why FMJ wouldn't be good enough. Maybe a couple boxes of premium hollow-points for carry, and the rest for barter and whatever comes up.

Maybe check the ballistics tables on whatever brand FMJ you're thinking to use. I kinda suspect Winchester USA brand might be loaded to a practice velocity rather than a combat velocity. Just satisfy yourself that whatever you're stocking up on isn't wimpy in the velocity department.
I have to agree. JHP would be nice for your everyday carry in a premium since. But unless you're Bill Gates, you're probably better off stockpiling FMJ, simply because it's cheaper and thus you can stockpile a lot more.

Here's a question: are you also going to stockpile cleaning supplies for your weapons?

jimpen

Here's a question: are you also going to stockpile cleaning supplies for your weapons?

That is a given, but $100 of Hoppes solvent is about 20K rounds easy. If you cycle 20K rounds, even in the crapper, from a pistol you haven't scavenged at all.

Jack House

No one ever mentions cleaning supplies or maintenance equipment. So I figured I'd pose the question.

Freedom1Man

Since the question posed is about the ZOMBIE Apocalypse I will address that only.

Now since it is zombies we are dealing with it would really depend on which version of a zombie we are talking about.
If it is the flesh falling off the bone kind that you have to destroy the brain/brain stem then I would have to say that hollow points/'glazer' type rounds are going to be the ones you want.
If we are talking about the zombies such as rabies virus zombies or the following the government brain dead type, then FMJ should work just fine as your are only required to do enough damage to get the heart to stop.

I hope that helps.

Everyone else has seemed to cover the barter point so there is no need for me to address that.

robert1970

cleaning supplies

I have to agree. JHP would be nice for your everyday carry in a premium since. But unless you're Bill Gates, you're probably better off stockpiling FMJ, simply because it's cheaper and thus you can stockpile a lot more.

Thats a Excellent point,people talk about stock pilling ammo,but cleaning supplies is just important.A gun that wont function due to lack of maintaince,is about as uselful as a rock.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
Some of us aren't relying on ARs...

But, don't forget that you don't need "gun cleaning" chemicals. You no doubt already have solvents and lubricants in the vehicle and in the shop, too.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
Some of us aren't relying on ARs...

But, don't forget that you don't need "gun cleaning" chemicals. You no doubt already have solvents and lubricants in the vehicle and in the shop, too.

:D

I'm thinking that short of a field campaign involving multiple firefights, a little bit of extra solvent is all anybody is going to need. Stockpiling some extra for barter might be good.

SovereignAxe

IMO FMJs are just fine for stockpiling for your favorite apocalyptic event. I think the bigger issue is the reliability of TulAmmo. Steel case issues aside, I've had multiple misfires with tulammo due to faulty primers (to the tune of about 5-8% of rounds). Granted, that was 7.62x39, but it doesn't leave me impressed with the brand. It also calls into question the value. If you don't get to shoot up to 8% of the ammo in the box, are you really saving any money?

I'd much rather spend a few extra cents a round and get something more reliable like Federal. Federal FMJs are cheap, relatively accurate, and I've never had a failure with them.

Gil223

If you should encounter Zombies, here's the least expensive way to dispatch them:
1. Stop mixing mind-altering drugs with alcohol/Sterno
2. Load your Wrist-Rocket slingshot with a Campfire® Giant Roaster Marshmallow
(be sure to wear appropriate eye protection... and your tinfoil helmet)
3. Take careful aim before they pounce upon you
4. When you run out of marshmallow ammo, report to your nearest mental health
facility while singing the Mongolian national anthem backwards... and in Norwegian

On a more serious note, TulAmmo has a spectacularly mediocre reputation for anything other than its price (inconsistent in both accuracy and reliability). Of the relatively inexpensive imports, I have read good reviews of Brown Bear ammunition (personally, I have not yet used any). If you want practice ammo with high-reliability and equally high affordability (and IF your rifle is chambered for 5.56x45) look into American Eagle (55gr FMJ, 3020fps) or Lake City (62gr FMJ, 3025fps) in quantities of 500 or more (both also make .223 FMJ rounds, but even their 5.56 is a bit low on velocity). If you are locked into .223 ammo because of your chamber, Armscor is affordable, but their published stats are a bit weak (55gr FMJ, 3020FPS), and check out the Hornady Z-MAX .223 Remington "Zombie" ammunition, with 55gr polymer ballistic tip bullet, runs out at 3240 fps, and can be found for as little as 75¢ per round (in 20pk). When I can afford it, I prefer to use established, name brand ammo (Rem, Fed, Win, UMC [Rem's #2], etc.) in the same weight for practice as I have stored for 'serious work' with my AR.

It's tough trying to live on a fixed income, and within a limited budget, plus trying to enjoy a few of life's pleasures... trust me, I know! Pax...

Last edited: