Thread: Chip-chip-chipping Away At Our Constitution

Chip-chip-chipping Away At Our Constitution

I just read this article on WND ( http://www.wnd.com/2012/10/wear-radi...ells-students/ ), the main thrust of which is:
    Brushing aside privacy concerns by parents and civil rights activists, a Texas school district has gone live with a controversial program requiring all students to wear a locator radio chip that will enable officials to track their every move – or face expulsion.

At the beginning of the school year students at John Jay High School and Anson Jones Middle School within the Northside Independent School District were told their old student ID badges were no longer valid. During registration they were required to obtain new badges containing a radio frequency identification tracker chip.

Students refusing the chips were reportedly threatened with suspension, fines, or being involuntary transferred. Unlike chips used by retailers to track inventory which activate when scanned by a reader, these chips contain batteries and actively broadcast a continuous signal.
    On October 1, the schools went live with a program to use the chips to track the exact locations of students using the badges. The badges would even be able to tell if a student in a classroom is in his seat or somewhere else in the room.
    The school district's rationale is that "the two schools have a high rate of truancy, and the district could gain $2 million in state funding by improving attendance." I see it as an attack on the student's Fourth Amendment rights.
    "The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized."
    There is no distinguishable difference between the district's actions, and the plans to allow LE to use decommissioned military drones to spy on the general population. It appears to be just another attempt at desensitization to intrusions into our Constitutionally guaranteed rights, by intimidating our young into compliance with unlawful actions by government agencies. Thus far, only one child has taken a stand against being chipped. Any attempt to subvert the intent of the Constitution, is a threat to the entire document. But, that's just the way I see it. Pax...
    Last edited by Gil223; 10-06-2012 at 07:19 PM.
    MOLON LABE
    COUNTRY FIRST
    Glocks ROCK!

I'm about the last person you'd expect to accuse public schools of indocrtination, but this is raising a red flag for me.

1-7 years from now these kids are going to be voting age. And if after that amount of time a bill comes up saying all Texas, or all US citizens need a location tracker "for our safety," and these kids are going to think to themselves "well, I had to do it in high school, why not do it now?"

Also, it should be the parent keeping the kid in school, not the school.
    Last edited by SovereignAxe; 10-06-2012 at 07:38 PM.
    "Anyone worth shooting once is worth shooting twice." -Zeus

"Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back!" - Malcolm Reynolds

EDC = Walther PPQ 9mm

Um, did these people not ever see Star Trek: The Next Generation?

If you want to hide, you take off the badge. Duh...

There will be a whole market for the nerds: "Hey Sheldon! Here's $10 to put my badge in your pocket during the next class."
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

I am so happy that the wife and I decided on Washington state after my military service. We don't have constitutional carry here, but in general the firearm and privacy portions of the state constitution are amazing compared to so many other places.

Founder's Club Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gil223 View Post
    SNIP The OP
    That's just sick. What kind of sick bastard feels he has to have such control over others that he needs to know their whereabouts like that?

This is in the same category as that bunch of educators a couple years ago who secretly recorded kids' activities at home using the video on laptop computers the school gave the kids.
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

The idea sucks and that you can get the information about the kids from a FOIA request and then you can see them in real time is just completely unacceptable.

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen View Post
    ...This is in the same category as that bunch of educators a couple years ago who secretly recorded kids' activities at home using the video on laptop computers the school gave the kids.
    Wow, I didn't hear about that. Please tell me someone is still in prison after that one.
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

Quote Originally Posted by MAC702 View Post
    Wow, I didn't hear about that. Please tell me someone is still in prison after that one.
    no they said "just don't do it again"
    Luke 22:36 ; 36Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.

"guns are like a Parachute, if you don't have one when you need it, you will not need one again"
    - unknown

i you call a CHP a CCW then you are really stupid. period.

government employee's don't ya know, they have special privileges versus us citizens

I would not have done well at this school.... I would absolutely refuse to wear the badge, and if they insisted I wear it and had no other choice... well a sec in the microwave should fry the chip, so i go in to have it replaced, strike the next badge with a hammer, ...... and then refuse to keep paying for them.

If I were a parent here I'd have one response to this, I'd mozy straight on in to the principals office with my kids badge, most skrool administrators I know have little microwaves in their office, I'd mozy in, wait until he addressed me, then toss that badge in his microwave and hit "add 30 sec" and say "g'day sir" as I walk straight out.

School administrators 20-25-30 years from now are going to loooovvveeee me..........
    they love our milk and honey, but they preach about some other way of living, when they're running down my country man they're walkin' on the fightin side of me

NRA Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vitaeus View Post
    I am so happy that the wife and I decided on Washington state after my military service. We don't have constitutional carry here, but in general the firearm and privacy portions of the state constitution are amazing compared to so many other places.
    OT, confuzzled by your statement there.

24th Amendment of the 1889 "state" Constitution.
    Provision for free medical attendance and nursing, for clothing, for food, for housing, for the education of children, and a hundred other matters, might with equal propriety be proposed as tending to relieve the employee of mental strain and worry. --- These matters obviously lie outside the orbit of congressional power. (Railroad Retirement Board v Alton Railroad)

"Constitutional Carry is a situation within a jurisdiction in which the carrying of concealed firearms is generally not restricted by the law. When a state or other jurisdiction has adopted Constitutional Carry, it is legal for law-abiding citizens to carry a handgun, firearm, or other weapon concealed with or without an applicable permit or license. There are currently four U.S. states that have adopted Constitutional Carry and eleven U.S. states that have pending legislation to adopt it. The scope and applicability of such laws or proposed legislation can vary from state to state."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Constitutional_Carry

we have CPL's for permission slips i.a.w. with the idea that "reasonable regulation" applies to our inalienable rights
    Last edited by Vitaeus; 10-06-2012 at 11:59 PM. Reason: fixing typo's

Quote Originally Posted by Vitaeus View Post
    "Constitutional Carry is a situation within a jurisdiction in which the carrying of concealed firearms is generally not restricted by the law. When a state or other jurisdiction has adopted Constitutional Carry, it is legal for law-abiding citizens to carry a handgun, firearm, or other weapon concealed with or without an applicable permit or license. There are currently four U.S. states that have adopted Constitutional Carry and eleven U.S. states that have pending legislation to adopt it. The scope and applicability of such laws or proposed legislation can vary from state to state."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Constitutional_Carry

we have CPL's for permission slips i.a.w. with the idea that "reasonable regulation" applies to our inalienable rights
    Thanks for the clarification.

The 1878 constitution restricted CC the 1889 one does not.

So the state requirement for a license is a violation of the 1889 constitution but not a violation of the 1878 one.
    Provision for free medical attendance and nursing, for clothing, for food, for housing, for the education of children, and a hundred other matters, might with equal propriety be proposed as tending to relieve the employee of mental strain and worry. --- These matters obviously lie outside the orbit of congressional power. (Railroad Retirement Board v Alton Railroad)

Founder's Club Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MAC702 View Post
    It was intense but brief. It should still be findable through google. No prison terms. I don't recall even a resignation.

Let me do a little hunting.

Here's some:

56K screen shots and no charges: http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/news/...p-spying_n.htm

There was a settlement, though. Do read the article down to the point where government employees enjoyed the privacy violation: http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2...ect-taxpayers/

Just google "laptop spying case" for more.
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.