• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Chip-chip-chipping Away At Our Constitution

Gil223

I just read this article on WND ( http://www.wnd.com/2012/10/wear-radio-chip-or-leave-school-tells-students/ ), the main thrust of which is:
Brushing aside privacy concerns by parents and civil rights activists, a Texas school district has gone live with a controversial program requiring all students to wear a locator radio chip that will enable officials to track their every move – or face expulsion.

At the beginning of the school year students at John Jay High School and Anson Jones Middle School within the Northside Independent School District were told their old student ID badges were no longer valid. During registration they were required to obtain new badges containing a radio frequency identification tracker chip.

Students refusing the chips were reportedly threatened with suspension, fines, or being involuntary transferred. Unlike chips used by retailers to track inventory which activate when scanned by a reader, these chips contain batteries and actively broadcast a continuous signal.
On October 1, the schools went live with a program to use the chips to track the exact locations of students using the badges. The badges would even be able to tell if a student in a classroom is in his seat or somewhere else in the room.

The school district's rationale is that "the two schools have a high rate of truancy, and the district could gain $2 million in state funding by improving attendance." I see it as an attack on the student's Fourth Amendment rights.
"The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized."
There is no distinguishable difference between the district's actions, and the plans to allow LE to use decommissioned military drones to spy on the general population. It appears to be just another attempt at desensitization to intrusions into our Constitutionally guaranteed rights, by intimidating our young into compliance with unlawful actions by government agencies. Thus far, only one child has taken a stand against being chipped. Any attempt to subvert the intent of the Constitution, is a threat to the entire document. But, that's just the way I see it. :mad: Pax...

Last edited:

SovereignAxe

I'm about the last person you'd expect to accuse public schools of indocrtination, but this is raising a red flag for me.

1-7 years from now these kids are going to be voting age. And if after that amount of time a bill comes up saying all Texas, or all US citizens need a location tracker "for our safety," and these kids are going to think to themselves "well, I had to do it in high school, why not do it now?"

Also, it should be the parent keeping the kid in school, not the school.

Last edited:

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
Um, did these people not ever see Star Trek: The Next Generation?

If you want to hide, you take off the badge. Duh...

There will be a whole market for the nerds: "Hey Sheldon! Here's $10 to put my badge in your pocket during the next class."

Vitaeus

I am so happy that the wife and I decided on Washington state after my military service. We don't have constitutional carry here, but in general the firearm and privacy portions of the state constitution are amazing compared to so many other places.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
SNIP The OP

That's just sick. What kind of sick bastard feels he has to have such control over others that he needs to know their whereabouts like that?

This is in the same category as that bunch of educators a couple years ago who secretly recorded kids' activities at home using the video on laptop computers the school gave the kids.

Vitaeus

The idea sucks and that you can get the information about the kids from a FOIA request and then you can see them in real time is just completely unacceptable.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
...This is in the same category as that bunch of educators a couple years ago who secretly recorded kids' activities at home using the video on laptop computers the school gave the kids.

Wow, I didn't hear about that. Please tell me someone is still in prison after that one.

EMNofSeattle

I would not have done well at this school.... I would absolutely refuse to wear the badge, and if they insisted I wear it and had no other choice... well a sec in the microwave should fry the chip, so i go in to have it replaced, strike the next badge with a hammer, ...... and then refuse to keep paying for them.

If I were a parent here I'd have one response to this, I'd mozy straight on in to the principals office with my kids badge, most skrool administrators I know have little microwaves in their office, I'd mozy in, wait until he addressed me, then toss that badge in his microwave and hit "add 30 sec" and say "g'day sir" as I walk straight out.

School administrators 20-25-30 years from now are going to loooovvveeee me.......... :cool:

Freedom1Man

I am so happy that the wife and I decided on Washington state after my military service. We don't have constitutional carry here, but in general the firearm and privacy portions of the state constitution are amazing compared to so many other places.

OT, confuzzled by your statement there.

24th Amendment of the 1889 "state" Constitution.

Vitaeus

"Constitutional Carry is a situation within a jurisdiction in which the carrying of concealed firearms is generally not restricted by the law. When a state or other jurisdiction has adopted Constitutional Carry, it is legal for law-abiding citizens to carry a handgun, firearm, or other weapon concealed with or without an applicable permit or license. There are currently four U.S. states that have adopted Constitutional Carry and eleven U.S. states that have pending legislation to adopt it. The scope and applicability of such laws or proposed legislation can vary from state to state."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Constitutional_Carry

we have CPL's for permission slips i.a.w. with the idea that "reasonable regulation" applies to our inalienable rights

Last edited:

Freedom1Man

"Constitutional Carry is a situation within a jurisdiction in which the carrying of concealed firearms is generally not restricted by the law. When a state or other jurisdiction has adopted Constitutional Carry, it is legal for law-abiding citizens to carry a handgun, firearm, or other weapon concealed with or without an applicable permit or license. There are currently four U.S. states that have adopted Constitutional Carry and eleven U.S. states that have pending legislation to adopt it. The scope and applicability of such laws or proposed legislation can vary from state to state."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Constitutional_Carry

we have CPL's for permission slips i.a.w. with the idea that "reasonable regulation" applies to our inalienable rights

Thanks for the clarification.

The 1878 constitution restricted CC the 1889 one does not.

So the state requirement for a license is a violation of the 1889 constitution but not a violation of the 1878 one.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
Wow, I didn't hear about that. Please tell me someone is still in prison after that one.

It was intense but brief. It should still be findable through google. No prison terms. I don't recall even a resignation.

Let me do a little hunting.

Here's some:

56K screen shots and no charges: http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/news/education/2010-08-17-laptop-spying_n.htm

There was a settlement, though. Do read the article down to the point where government employees enjoyed the privacy violation: http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2010/10/school-settles-laptop-spying-case-to-protect-taxpayers/

Just google "laptop spying case" for more.