• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Ruger P95 problem..

j.bones

Shot my new (to me) Ruger P95 today.. put about 75 rounds through it, though it "stove piped" the brass it should have been extracting pretty much every 3-5 rounds..... any ideas on what the problem could be.. ( i was firing Independence 115g bullets )

WalkingWolf

Shot my new (to me) Ruger P95 today.. put about 75 rounds through it, though it "stove piped" the brass it should have been extracting pretty much every 3-5 rounds..... any ideas on what the problem could be.. ( i was firing Independence 115g bullets )

Try different ammo...

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
Yes, try different ammo. Never heard of that brand. Maybe its a budget brand with iffy quality control?

First, though, make sure you are not limp-wristing the gun. A semi-auto pistol needs the slide to move a certain distance relative to the lower frame in order to eject. For example, when racking the slide, you can hold the lower frame and move the slide, or you could literally hold the slide and move the lower frame. It is the motion relative to each other. Limp-wristing is where your wrist is not "locked" enough and on recoil the frame moves backward/rotates with the slide a little. Meaning the slide and frame are not moving far enough relative to each other to eject a brass case. Only enough to get it started ejecting and then the case gets caught as the slide moves forward again. Very common for folks new to semi-autos.

Last edited:

twoskinsonemanns

I get so sick of hearing excuses made for gun manufacturers. It's always ammo, or limp-wristing. These are the go-to excuses.
I have firearms that just won't jam. I've got almost 1000 rounds through my Sig. I cannot get it to jam. Any ammo including the crappiest Russian stuff. The wife shoots it, my ten YO shoots it. I shoot one handed. I practice with it shooting off-handed. It just won't jam.
We should hold gun manufactures to a higher standard. JMO.

WalkingWolf

I get so sick of hearing excuses made for gun manufacturers. It's always ammo, or limp-wristing. These are the go-to excuses.
I have firearms that just won't jam. I've got almost 1000 rounds through my Sig. I cannot get it to jam. Any ammo including the crappiest Russian stuff. The wife shoots it, my ten YO shoots it. I shoot one handed. I practice with it shooting off-handed. It just won't jam.
Nobody placed blame on ammo or limp wrist, they were just suggestions. "Lighten up Francis!"

twoskinsonemanns

Nobody placed blame on ammo or limp wrist, they were just suggestions. "Lighten up Francis!"

:) Sorry. I've been research the XDs alot because I really want to pull the trigger on it but it has had a lot of problems I guess.
Every SA fanboy wants to blame every problem on limp wristing and ammo.

FTF = limp wristing. FTE = limp wristing. Finish rubbing off = limp wristing! :lol:

Last edited:

Gil223

All the possibilities listed are valid. The ammo you're using is unknown to anybody here. You didn't specify the caliber, but if a shooter is "limp-wristing" it will usually show up when shooting .40, 10mm and especially .45acp autoloaders. The easiest, least expensive way to find out would be to buy a box of brand name ammo, and have another experienced shooter watch your form when you shoot. If the stove-piping stops, you've found the problem. If it doesn't stop, and your form is good, then you have another problem.

Ruger doesn't have a reputation for making crap anything, although any product that comes down an assembly line is subject to an occasional glitch. It could be a mechanical problem of some kind, and if it is Ruger will fix it immediately. Pax...

P.S. "Limp-wristing" does not mean you should move to San Francisco and buy a pink gun. It's just a minor problem that is easily overcome with awareness, focus and practice - it's nothing to be embarrassed about. :D

Last edited:

twoskinsonemanns

The easiest, least expensive way to find out would be to buy a box of brand name ammo, and have another experienced shooter watch your form when you shoot. If the stove-piping stops, you've found the problem.

Gun I buy that only shoot one brand of ammo don't stay with me long.

EMNofSeattle

I tend to agree. Rugers seem to be a crap shoot, several people swear by them

but I once fired a P-345 that you would have to strike the slide to chamber the round due to feeding issues

never had those with glocks.

On the other hand though, some budget brands and reloads can in fact cause problems in some pistols, so that is not to be discounted

j.bones

Well im not a pro shooter by any means but i dont think i was limp wristing. I was firing the same ammo and Blazer ammo through my P89 and it never had first problem out of about 100 rounds..

WalkingWolf

Well im not a pro shooter by any means but i dont think i was limp wristing. I was firing the same ammo and Blazer ammo through my P89 and it never had first problem out of about 100 rounds..

That ammo has some iffy reviews, it is a South American ammo made in Brazil for Federal. The complaints range from dirty, weak powered, stove piping, FTF, FTE. Clean your guns, a gummed up gun will have problems, if fresh quality ammo does not cure it contact Ruger. Ruger has a very very very good reputation. They test fire all guns before they are shipped.

A lot of problems can happen with ammo. I had problems with my 94 Marlins feeding black powder, both 44 and 38. The problem was cured with a buying factory crimping dies for my reloads. Ammo has a much harder time feeding in gummed up actions.

Gil223

That's nice... but I have no idea how it relates to my quoted post. I just said J.Bones should try a "name brand" of ammo to check for continued stove-piping. Any brand will do, and he can buy as many different brands as he feels he needs to validate the results. :question: Pax...

Citizen

Founder's Club Member

Yes, but do you limp-wrist it? Any semi-auto can stove pipe if the slide does not move far enough to the rear relative to the lower frame. I imagine a gun designer can make a slide light enough or the recoil spring light enough that its almost impossible to stove-pipe by limp-wristing, but are we really prepared to say that only Sig has solved this particular problem?

twoskinsonemanns

Yes, but do you limp-wrist it? Any semi-auto can stove pipe if the slide does not move far enough to the rear relative to the lower frame. I imagine a gun designer can make a slide light enough or the recoil spring light enough that its almost impossible to stove-pipe by limp-wristing, but are we really prepared to say that only Sig has solved this particular problem?

I have owned guns that have not been reliable. I guess I limp-wrist those but not the reliable ones. :rolleyes:

As far as Sig being the only one to solve this.
I did not say that. I am only giving one personal example.

Morbidph8

Owner of a new P95 here. The only FTF or FTE was from limp wristing. Our last trip to the range. My P95 was working great. My wife was practicing with her wheel gun. When she tried to shoot my Ruger, FTF every time. Her wrist was weak from shooting the wheel gun. I would use it no probs, then she would jam it. Try another brand of ammo. If that doesn't solve it give Ruger a call. I hear they have great customer service.

WalkingWolf

There are two reasons I do not buy cheap ammunition, unless it has an impeccable reputation. Undercharge, and overcharge, one causes failures, the other a trip to the ER. To keep costs down I reload rather than buy cheap ammo. Light range loads combined with not having a firm grip on the firearm are a good combination for problems. Stove piping comes the slide not fully retracting, that is a good indication of weak ammo. I would suspect with full power loads limp wrist would not be much of a factor. But then I hold my guns very tight and keep a straight wrist in line with the slide, this is imperative in point shooting. On the range I have corrected this on other people and their shooting immediately improved. Some people with small hands who insist on double stack guns do tend to have a problem in this area.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
I have owned guns that have not been reliable. I guess I limp-wrist those but not the reliable ones.

Nice try. You gave a list of reasons, but never expressly answered my question. Going off on tangents is practically a guaranteed way to get me to ask the question again.

And again.

And again.

The only possible answers are yes, no, and I don't know.

But did you limp-wrist it?

Last edited:

Jayd1981

I'm not familiar with P95 but if it has an ejector spring, that could be worn and would cause FTE. Another option is the slide is not coming fully back (in the case of a stationary ejector, or you limp wristing it) and you could try a lighter recoil spring.

twoskinsonemanns

Nice try. You gave a list of reasons, but never expressly answered my question. Going off on tangents is practically a guaranteed way to get me to ask the question again.

And again.

And again.

The only possible answers are yes, no, and I don't know.

But did you limp-wrist it?

I honestly thought your question was a joke.

In any case I can't answer it. I don't personally believe limp-wristing is an actual action that causes failures. I don't have any proof either way. I just don't believe it.
You obviously do. I understand the theory but don't have any reason to believe the lack support on the frame of the gun can cause the failures you imply. I've never seen anything to make me believe it to be true.
Perhaps someone so skilled in limp-wristing can post a video where the shooter can induce failures at will by purposely limp-wristing and shoot will no failure at will without limp-wristing.