Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: Grand Rapids Gun and Knife show

  1. #1
    Regular Member Raggs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Wild Wild West Michigan
    Posts
    1,188

    Grand Rapids Gun and Knife show

    gun show at the Delta Plex Oct 13 & 14, 2012. Run by J&J sports. Who's interested?
    My reasons to OC
    1. to raise awareness of the legality of open carry in Michigan
    2. To raise awareness that good people carry guns
    3. A deterrent to people so that I won't be targeted
    4. Because it's more comfortable than CC in most situations
    5. Because I can and want to
    6. Because it's perfectly legal
    7. Self defense

  2. #2
    Michigan Moderator DrTodd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Hudsonville , Michigan, USA
    Posts
    3,337
    I'd like to go... after my childrens' soccer matches.
    Giving up our liberties for safety is the one sure way to let the violent among us win.

    "Though defensive violence will always be a 'sad necessity' in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men." -Saint Augustine

    Disclaimer I am not a lawyer! Please do not consider anything you read from me to be legal advice.

  3. #3
    Regular Member Raggs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Wild Wild West Michigan
    Posts
    1,188
    Quote Originally Posted by DrTodd View Post
    I'd like to go... after my childrens' soccer matches.
    sweet, this is the one where the 2nd amendment is actually followed!
    My reasons to OC
    1. to raise awareness of the legality of open carry in Michigan
    2. To raise awareness that good people carry guns
    3. A deterrent to people so that I won't be targeted
    4. Because it's more comfortable than CC in most situations
    5. Because I can and want to
    6. Because it's perfectly legal
    7. Self defense

  4. #4
    Michigan Moderator DrTodd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Hudsonville , Michigan, USA
    Posts
    3,337
    Quote Originally Posted by Raggs View Post
    sweet, this is the one where the 2nd amendment is actually followed!
    We'll see... not that I doubt Shadow bear so much as they may "change their mind" when we show up...lol
    Giving up our liberties for safety is the one sure way to let the violent among us win.

    "Though defensive violence will always be a 'sad necessity' in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men." -Saint Augustine

    Disclaimer I am not a lawyer! Please do not consider anything you read from me to be legal advice.

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Burton, Michigan
    Posts
    3,361
    Quote Originally Posted by Raggs View Post
    sweet, this is the one where the 2nd amendment is actually followed!
    They allow carry, but, IIRC, only CC if not zip-tied. i.e. Unloaded.

  6. #6
    Regular Member Tucker6900's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Iowa, USA
    Posts
    1,249
    Quote Originally Posted by SpringerXDacp View Post
    They allow carry, but, IIRC, only CC if not zip-tied. i.e. Unloaded.
    What do you mean "zip tied"?
    The only terrorists I see nowadays are at the Capital.


    The statements made in this post do not necessarily reflect the views of OCDO or its members.

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Burton, Michigan
    Posts
    3,361
    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker6900 View Post
    What do you mean "zip tied"?
    Most gun shows in the US do not allow loaded, "civilian" carry (holstered handguns) in the show unless you're LE, either in uniform or plain clothes if you have your creds with you. If you're not LE, they make you unload your Roscoe and they run a zip-tie through the action. Some shows will confiscate your mag(s) until you're ready to leave.

  8. #8
    Michigan Moderator Shadow Bear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Grand Rapids
    Posts
    1,018
    When I went, it was 1911 condition 1 with two full mags. No comments, no problems.

    If they do try to disarm you, ask for a refund, and leave!

    I believe the zip tie & chamber check is for people too cheap to rent a table for $30, and just bring stuff & wander around half the day, hoping someone will buy their Moisin for $200...

    Edit to add- just sent them an email to confirm that lawful carry is OK. Will advise on their response.
    Last edited by Shadow Bear; 10-09-2012 at 07:36 PM.
    'If the people are not ready for the exercise of the non-violence of the brave, they must be ready for the use of force in self defense. There should be no camouflage.....it must never be secret.' MK Gandhi II-146 (Gandhi on Non-Violence)-- Gandhi supports open carry!

    'There is nothing more demoralizing than the fake non-violence of the weak and impotent.' MK Gandhi II-153 (Gandhi on Non-Violence)

  9. #9
    Regular Member Raggs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Wild Wild West Michigan
    Posts
    1,188
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadow Bear View Post
    When I went, it was 1911 condition 1 with two full mags. No comments, no problems.

    If they do try to disarm you, ask for a refund, and leave!

    I believe the zip tie & chamber check is for people too cheap to rent a table for $30, and just bring stuff & wander around half the day, hoping someone will buy their Moisin for $200...

    Edit to add- just sent them an email to confirm that lawful carry is OK. Will advise on their response.
    Joining us?
    My reasons to OC
    1. to raise awareness of the legality of open carry in Michigan
    2. To raise awareness that good people carry guns
    3. A deterrent to people so that I won't be targeted
    4. Because it's more comfortable than CC in most situations
    5. Because I can and want to
    6. Because it's perfectly legal
    7. Self defense

  10. #10
    Michigan Moderator Shadow Bear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Grand Rapids
    Posts
    1,018
    Quote Originally Posted by Raggs View Post
    Joining us?
    Absolutely!
    'If the people are not ready for the exercise of the non-violence of the brave, they must be ready for the use of force in self defense. There should be no camouflage.....it must never be secret.' MK Gandhi II-146 (Gandhi on Non-Violence)-- Gandhi supports open carry!

    'There is nothing more demoralizing than the fake non-violence of the weak and impotent.' MK Gandhi II-153 (Gandhi on Non-Violence)

  11. #11
    Michigan Moderator Big Gay Al's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Mason, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    1,954
    I'd go but, having been off work the last 2.5 months due to illness, I don't have the money to spend like I'd probably want to. I'd end up probably drooling on some gun that I'd really like to buy, but can't. To me, window shopping is pure torture. Of course, I still do it, looking at gunbroker.com and gallery of guns, and Bud's gun shop. Damn, I hope I get to go back to work soon. This is gonna kill me!
    Big Gay Al
    Coordinator, Michigan Pink Pistols
    Big Gay Al's Big Gay (Gun) Blog
    Fabrique Nationale d'Herstal FNX-45 .45ACP 16 rounds of hurt.

  12. #12
    Regular Member HKcarrier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    michigan
    Posts
    831
    .
    When you put the gun in the holster, put the ego in the gun safe.

  13. #13
    Regular Member Tucker6900's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Iowa, USA
    Posts
    1,249
    Quote Originally Posted by HKcarrier View Post
    .
    Exactly.
    The only terrorists I see nowadays are at the Capital.


    The statements made in this post do not necessarily reflect the views of OCDO or its members.

  14. #14
    Regular Member Raggs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Wild Wild West Michigan
    Posts
    1,188

    OC fun

    anyone else interested in some good old fashioned open carry fun?
    My reasons to OC
    1. to raise awareness of the legality of open carry in Michigan
    2. To raise awareness that good people carry guns
    3. A deterrent to people so that I won't be targeted
    4. Because it's more comfortable than CC in most situations
    5. Because I can and want to
    6. Because it's perfectly legal
    7. Self defense

  15. #15
    Regular Member detroit_fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Monroe, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    1,196
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Gay Al View Post
    I'd go but, having been off work the last 2.5 months due to illness, I don't have the money to spend like I'd probably want to. I'd end up probably drooling on some gun that I'd really like to buy, but can't. To me, window shopping is pure torture. Of course, I still do it, looking at gunbroker.com and gallery of guns, and Bud's gun shop. Damn, I hope I get to go back to work soon. This is gonna kill me!
    better be careful, some shows i have been to have a "you drool on it, you bought it" policy
    If guns cause crime, all mine are defective- Ted Nugent

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •