• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Looking for a job involving firearms.

Esanders2008

Hey everyone, I am trying to find a job that involves firearms. Any ideas? No LEO positions. lol. If anyone has any suggestions, I'd love to hear them.
PS I live in Hampton Roads, VA

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
Job? What are your skills or experiences?

Career? What is your education?

This could be anything from sweeping floors at a range to reverse engineering for Ruger.

Esanders2008

Job? What are your skills or experiences?

Career? What is your education?

This could be anything from sweeping floors at a range to reverse engineering for Ruger.

Haha this is why I shouldn't post after bedtime ;)

My background is 2.5 years military experience (not dealing with weapons, I was an engineer)
I have plenty of retail experience and customer service experience.
As far as firearms are concerned, I grew up around them, and I like to work with them. I would need training, but I would like to learn more.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
Haha this is why I shouldn't post after bedtime ;)

My background is 2.5 years military experience (not dealing with weapons, I was an engineer)
I have plenty of retail experience and customer service experience.
As far as firearms are concerned, I grew up around them, and I like to work with them. I would need training, but I would like to learn more.

I recommend taking all the instructor courses from the NRA. Being an NRA-certified instructor will help in anything you do firearms-related.

Gunshops are really just about retail and customer service. And they love having prior military salesmen.

WalkingWolf

What type of engineer? Do you have a degree? What type of mechanical skills do you have to go along with?

I had a old German gentleman that worked for me for a while from South America. Give the man a set of plans and he could make it. You could be self employed gunsmith if you can operate machinery.

Esanders2008

What type of engineer? Do you have a degree? What type of mechanical skills do you have to go along with?

I had a old German gentleman that worked for me for a while from South America. Give the man a set of plans and he could make it. You could be self employed gunsmith if you can operate machinery.

I was an electrician. :cry: and i do not have a degree yet.

Last edited:

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Do you want to use your GI Bill to go to a gunsmithing school? There are not enough gunsmiths around, let alone good gunsmiths. Most gun shops have someone who has taken a few armorer classes and knows enough to tinker with the most common brands and models, but if you come in with a now-out-of-production favorite shooter that has busted some internal part and the few used-parts places do not have a replacement, you are SOL unless you can find a gunsmith/machinist who can make a part from scratch.

Like good holster-makers, you will most likely quickly find yourself backed up with work waiting for you to get to it - and customers who think nothing of a 12-month wait for you to begin working on their project.

In the interst of full disclosure, I am trying to convince you to learn how to be a gunsmith because there is a giant hole to be filled. No offense to the guys and gals out there already who are anywhere between tinkerers and full-fledged gunsmiths. It's just that most of them are already too busy.

stay safe.

Esanders2008

Do you want to use your GI Bill to go to a gunsmithing school? There are not enough gunsmiths around, let alone good gunsmiths. Most gun shops have someone who has taken a few armorer classes and knows enough to tinker with the most common brands and models, but if you come in with a now-out-of-production favorite shooter that has busted some internal part and the few used-parts places do not have a replacement, you are SOL unless you can find a gunsmith/machinist who can make a part from scratch.

Like good holster-makers, you will most likely quickly find yourself backed up with work waiting for you to get to it - and customers who think nothing of a 12-month wait for you to begin working on their project.

In the interst of full disclosure, I am trying to convince you to learn how to be a gunsmith because there is a giant hole to be filled. No offense to the guys and gals out there already who are anywhere between tinkerers and full-fledged gunsmiths. It's just that most of them are already too busy.

stay safe.

Good advice. How long is gunsmithing school? and I would have to see if I can use my GI Bill. The new one has a lot of restrictions; I would have to check all the particulars.

WalkingWolf

stay safe.

+1 Check your community college for a course. Keep in mind some people are not mechanically inclined, but I doubt this concerns you, as a electrician you had to have some mechanical skills.

amzbrady

Looking for a job involving money.

Hey everyone, I am trying to find a job that involves money. Any ideas? No BANKING positions. lol. If anyone has any suggestions, I'd love to hear them.
PS I live in Washington state.