• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Radio frequency ID chips

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Northside Independent School District (San Antonio, Texas) plans to track students next year on two of its campuses using technology implanted in their student identification cards in a trial that could eventually include all 112 of its schools and all of its nearly 100,000 students…

Sounds positively Orwellian, doesn’t it?

http://cowboybyte.com/13375/rfid-chips-for-texas-students/

eye95

It does.

But that is just one more reason to provide parents (all parents) with a viable alternative to public indoc...er...education. Every time you hear one of these crazy public school stories, ask yourself how government-funded, privately-provided education would absolutely solve that problem. Hint, it is all about expanding choice.

If a school uses RFIDs and you like the idea, choose that school. If you don't like the idea, choose a school that does not use RFIDs. Some parents will like the idea. Some won't. (Frankly, if I had a thug for a child, I'd consider lojacking the jerk myself.) The only way they will have genuine choice is if government (local and State only) continue to fund education while allowing parents to choose any public or private school. This makes the family, once again, the customer--and customers drive the market.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk.

<o>

OC for ME

Fighting the school board is far more difficult than fighting city hall. Have the kids leave their tracking device at school at the end of the day. When the burden to pass them out the next day gets really burdensome then the tracking devices will go the way of the daisy wheel printer* and 8-track cassette decks*.

* I have both a daisy wheel printer and a 8-track cassette deck.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
It does.

But that is just one more reason to provide parents (all parents) with a viable alternative to public indoc...er...education. Every time you hear one of these crazy public school stories, ask yourself how government-funded, privately-provided education would absolutely solve that problem. Hint, it is all about expanding choice.

If a school uses RFIDs and you like the idea, choose that school. If you don't like the idea, choose a school that does not use RFIDs. Some parents will like the idea. Some won't. (Frankly, if I had a thug for a child, I'd consider lojacking the jerk myself.) The only way they will have genuine choice is if government (local and State only) continue to fund education while allowing parents to choose any public or private school. This makes the family, once again, the customer--and customers drive the market.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk.

<o>

I think you're on the right track. I would take it further and deny government the power to RFID people in the first place. Even if a parent wants to RFID his kid and keep the transceiver at home, I would fight it--it just opens the door to fear-mongering about kids in danger, which opens the door to even better, longer-range tracking devices for people, or, as the government seems to view us, livestock.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Strange that none of us have yet mentioned the possibility of "Hey, Johnny, slip these in your pocket during math class, will you? Suzy and I have some plans for 4th period."

Little Billy and Suzy are automatically "noticed" as being present in class, and since the machines do it mean old Mr. Rogers is not even going to bother looking up from the latest issue of Pie Charts to see who is not actually there. Anything happens and Billy and Suzy just look you in the eye and sweetly say, "Prove we were not in math class at the time Principal Johnson was killed in the cafeteria with a toilet plunger." The machine verifies their attendance.

Unless the things are collected at the end of the day and passed out first thing the next morning, I can see kids slipping them on rats or gerbils and letting them loose in the building. Or even better ways of playing havoc with the system. Of course, I can see kids bringing RFID-mobilizers in even if the things are passed out at the beginning of the day. "Oops, my lanyard broke. I didn't even notice it" will be heard all over the school at the end of the day.

I have a little bit of faith in our current generation of [strike]unincarcerated juvenile delinquients[/strike] students.

stay safe.

EMNofSeattle

Strange that none of us have yet mentioned the possibility of "Hey, Johnny, slip these in your pocket during math class, will you? Suzy and I have some plans for 4th period."

Little Billy and Suzy are automatically "noticed" as being present in class, and since the machines do it mean old Mr. Rogers is not even going to bother looking up from the latest issue of Pie Charts to see who is not actually there. Anything happens and Billy and Suzy just look you in the eye and sweetly say, "Prove we were not in math class at the time Principal Johnson was killed in the cafeteria with a toilet plunger." The machine verifies their attendance.

Unless the things are collected at the end of the day and passed out first thing the next morning, I can see kids slipping them on rats or gerbils and letting them loose in the building. Or even better ways of playing havoc with the system. Of course, I can see kids bringing RFID-mobilizers in even if the things are passed out at the beginning of the day. "Oops, my lanyard broke. I didn't even notice it" will be heard all over the school at the end of the day.

I have a little bit of faith in our current generation of [strike]unincarcerated juvenile delinquients[/strike] students.

stay safe.

just strike the portion of the badge containing the chip with a hammer once you get home, and wait for them to notice it's not working, then play dumb and get a new badge issued

rinse, lather, repeat

and refuse to pay for new ones. It's not your fault that the badge was subject to [strike]sabotage[/strike] catastrophic malfunction.

OC for ME

That is because some may have a higher regard for our sweet little angels than you do.

sudden valley gunner

just strike the portion of the badge containing the chip with a hammer once you get home, and wait for them to notice it's not working, then play dumb and get a new badge issued

rinse, lather, repeat

and refuse to pay for new ones. It's not your fault that the badge was subject to [strike]sabotage[/strike] catastrophic malfunction.

And get locked up for destroying public property?

Welcome to your modern state of controlling the masses.

LV XD9

rinse, lather, repeat

That sounds just like the sort of thing a highschool-aged kid would come up with. Teenage boys around that age tend to think they know everything and that they're the first to come up with a given "scheme." They also tend to not consider the consequences of their actions.

He would think he's outsmarted everyone right up until the point that his parents are presented with a bill to replace the damaged property. It would be no different from a kid destroying his text books. Don't want to pay? Fine, but you don't get a diploma until all fines are paid in full. Hell, when I was in highschool, they would keep someone from graduating if they had unpaid library fines.

EMNofSeattle

And get locked up for destroying public property?

Welcome to your modern state of controlling the masses.

That's the beauty of this technique, it's impossible to prove. The force of the impact of the hammer destroys the circuits in the chip. But unlike microwaves leaves little evidence of deliberate sabotage

Besides you're not going to get locked up over a $5 RFID , there is no law that protects skrool ID cards from being defaced, now destroying the RFID chips in passports can get you in trouble...

sudden valley gunner

That's the beauty of this technique, it's impossible to prove. The force of the impact of the hammer destroys the circuits in the chip. But unlike microwaves leaves little evidence of deliberate sabotage

Besides you're not going to get locked up over a $5 RFID , there is no law that protects skrool ID cards from being defaced, now destroying the RFID chips in passports can get you in trouble...

Because there is no way anyone would every be able to look at the card and see a hammer hit it. ( I hear purple is for sarcasm)

Its not the cost of the item it is the act of destroying public property.

You don't think your keepers who make you carry a chip won't also quickly pass more laws to make it a class.... something misdemeanor/felony......to damage said device?

Last edited:

EMNofSeattle

Because there is no way anyone would every be able to look at the card and see a hammer hit it. ( I hear purple is for sarcasm)

Its not the cost of the item it is the act of destroying public property.

You don't think your keepers who make you carry a chip won't also quickly pass more laws to make it a class.... something misdemeanor/felony......to damage said device?

Well the School Board is in a different branch of government then the state. at least in Washington. frankly I don't think anything near this invasive would be passed in Washington. although never say never.....

And for a felony offense they would have to prove you maliciously destroyed the property in question. now a school can technically declare you guilty and refuse to release transcripts or a diploma, but proving you destroyed something in a court of law will require far more in terms of evidence then the district.

And yes this technique is covert, you only need minimal force to disable the chip. a couple light strikes really.

However it would be easier to kill this issue in the grave, maybe launching an initiative next year or so to preemptively stop this from entering our state.