Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: ohioopencarry.org

ohioopencarry.org

Does anyone know who is behind/owns/runs ohioopencarry.org? Whois shows the domain is "private registered."

Seems like the time is ripe [given some of the conversations going on about the non-support from OFCC and Buckeye for OC] to really launch an organization for Open Carry in Ohio.

I've been really impressed with the Michigan Open Carry organization. If anyone knows about ooc.org, or is interested in starting an org like MIOpencarry.org, PM me please.

Thanks!
    Last edited by glockowner; 10-08-2012 at 09:24 AM.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by glockowner View Post
    Seems like the time is ripe [given some of the conversations going on about the non-support from OFCC and Buckeye for OC] to really launch an organization for Open Carry in Ohio.
    I agree. The time is now.

http://www.ohioopencarry.org/

I believe theqbn, has the domain name.

Its pretty much a dormant site.

Edit: Its about time...
    Last edited by JSlack7851; 10-10-2012 at 07:27 PM.

Banned

ohioopencarry.org

IMO, the site name is wonderful if it belongs to a group, and not to an individual. alabamaopencarry.com belongs to an individual who readily reminds folks that he "owns" the site. That is anti-grassroots. If the owner of the domain name is willing to give it to a group that will administer it in a republican (little "r") fashion, I will join and help. If the domain is owned by an individual, I will monitor it and call it out every time the "owner" acts arbitrarily.

Grassroots-sounding sites need to be grassroots-behaving!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk.

<o>

Way to go, Slack
    I'm sure Josh said it was OK to post his personal info here, right?
    Last edited by Chuck!; 10-11-2012 at 09:08 AM.

Accomplished Advocate color of law's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck! View Post
    Way to go, Slack
    I'm sure Josh said it was OK to post his personal info here, right?
    Why would Slack need Josh's permission to list info that's all over the internet? Is it not in the public domain?

It's just a question....

I would like to see an active organization for open carry in Ohio. I have weird work hours, nights and weekends, so I don't think I could make too many events but I would love to try.

I have left messages on Facebook and on 'his' phone. I told him about this thread, so if he is interested he will respond here.

This is somewhat on topic....If no one is able to get a hold of this guy, and if everyone is interested, I would be more than willing and am more than capable to start up an open carry website dedicated to Ohio. I've got years of experience in that department.

If there are enough people interested in this, and if everyone feels like we can make it active, I'll gladly get to work on one.

Banned
    Is there an open carry organization in Ohio? If not, I recommend we form one so that IT, and not SOMEONE, could own the site. I've kinda had my fill with SOMEONE owning the open carry site for a State.

I would prefer people not post my name and facebook link, but it happens.

ohioopencarry.org is an unbiased and unaffiliated source for information on open carry in Ohio. There was some talk of a forum but it wasn't deemed necessary. OFCC, Buckeye Firearms, and opencarry.org all have active forums that can address that need.

If you want to start a group, by all means do. I would be more than happy to promote your websites and events with the OOC website and facebook.

The harsh truth is that these kind of efforts spring up all the time and then die as quickly as they started. You have two posts on this forum, how long have you been involved in OC activism? I support new activism but I'm not about to hand over an established domain that receives almost 2,000 visits a month and has established search engine placement to an unknown factor. Please don't take that personally.

opencarryohio.org doesn't seem to be in use, maybe you could contact the owner of that one?

Accomplished Advocate color of law's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by eye95 View Post
    Is there an open carry organization in Ohio? If not, I recommend we form one so that IT, and not SOMEONE, could own the site. I've kinda had my fill with SOMEONE owning the open carry site for a State.
    Based on your scenario you would need at least 15 owners; requiring 2/3rds consensus to accomplish something.

Banned

ohioopencarry.org

I am one. Do you make two?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk.

<o>

I just registered OhioOC.org. I'm going to get working on it ASAP.

Quote Originally Posted by theqbn View Post
    I would prefer people not post my name and facebook link, but it happens.

opencarryohio.org doesn't seem to be in use, maybe you could contact the owner of that one?
    Sorry theqbn, forgot the danger of posting names here. I've been posting mine, just didn't give it a second thought.

opencarryohio.org seems to have been hacked, some other site comes up.
    Last edited by JSlack7851; 10-10-2012 at 07:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JSlack7851 View Post
    Sorry theqbn, forgot the danger of posting names here. I've been posting mine, just didn't give it a second thought.

You typed it wrong.

http://www.ohioopencarry.org/

The other one is someone who is just squatting on Ohio OC names, so that he can try to sell them to others for more than they're worth. He has another one, too.
    Last edited by Hareuhal; 10-10-2012 at 07:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JSlack7851 View Post

No worries, I know you had good intentions. It's not that hard to find out who I am.

opencarryohio.org is owned by a guy in Tipp City who would probably be open to selling the domain. That's why I suggested it. I haven't talked to him myself though. It sounds like somebody already bought a new domain, so that may not be necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by eye95 View Post
    IMO, the site name is wonderful if it belongs to a group, and not to an individual. alabamaopencarry.com belongs to an individual who readily reminds folks that he "owns" the site. That is anti-grassroots. If the owner of the domain name is willing to give it to a group that will administer it in a republican (little "r") fashion, I will join and help. If the domain is owned by an individual, I will monitor it and call it out every time the "owner" acts arbitrarily.
    I'd like to address this. I'm not familiar with whatever drama seems to be going on in the AL open carry scene, but I can understand the frustration. This is part of why I have avoided running a forum on ohioopencarry.org - I have no desire to moderate the people's discussion. I have no desire to be a dictator. My site and the associated facebook page is intended to be an entirely neutral, "fact-first" source of information for OC in Ohio.

I think an OC-oriented group in Ohio would be great. I do not have the time to organize it myself, so I have kept out of the running for such. As I've stated, I would be entirely supportive of any such group and its events.

I hope everyone understands that I am in no way opposed to or dismissive of a new OC group in Ohio. I would be glad to attend any central OH events for OC and those in other locations as my finances permit. I believe OC to be a worthy cause and am welcome to any discourse regarding the improvement or advancement thereof.

As an additional note, and I apologize for responding 3 times to the same thread, but for those who are wondering why ohioopencarry.org has been fairly dormant, I have been going through a divorce and multiple moves and job changes in the past few years. To some extent, I rely on others to inform me of important developments in the Ohio OC world. We are all trying to devote time to a worthy cause out of our busy lives and I hope you all understand the challenges that arise from that.

Quote Originally Posted by theqbn View Post
    I have been going through a divorce and multiple moves and job changes in the past few years.
    Sorry to read that you're going through so much. Some of us here have been through similar and know that it's a rough road. Here's to better times ahead.

Well, with this all being said, I've got the domain name and webhosting purchased (OhioOC.org). I'm currently waiting on the DNS to transfer to my server, so the URL may not work for a while.

I'll be running a forum, likely with CMS, which is more or less a combination of a normal website and a forum. In any case, I'm going to need good, responsible and reliable help.

This will not be "my" website. It'll be ours. This means I need more people as administrators / moderators. Once the foundation is set, there will be an area where those who wish to help, can apply.

Quote Originally Posted by Hareuhal View Post
    This will not be "my" website. It'll be ours. This means I need more people as administrators / moderators. Once the foundation is set, there will be an area where those who wish to help, can apply.
    Are you looking at just doing a forum or a complete organization? If an organization, I highly recommend some sort of articles/by-laws. Then make them public with elections of some sort for admins of the group. Otherwise, you have no purpose set out IMO.
    Last edited by JediSkipdogg; 10-10-2012 at 08:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JediSkipdogg View Post
    Are you looking at just doing a forum or a complete organization? If an organization, I highly recommend some sort of articles/by-laws. Then make them public with elections of some sort for admins of the group. Otherwise, you have no purpose set out IMO.
    One step at a time.

P.s:
    http://ohiooc.org/forums/

Reset

Hmmm...somehow I knew this might be a little bit like herding wet cats in the middle of winter.

Guys, it is not about having a forum. It is about establishing an organization to advocate for open carry rights in the State of Ohio.

1) Hare, I applaud your enthusiasm, and I'm not saying you shouldn't start any board you want. However, a forum is just a tool to use to meet some objective.
    2) Eyes, I agree with you that it is not about one person owning a site, but it's not about the a forum nor a domain. Your post, #10, starts to get at my original intent.
    3) TheQBN, nothing taken personally.

My point, to reset this thread a bit, is that I've been impressed with the Michigan Open Carry organization. (I have property in both states.) They have a clear set of objectives and methods to achieve those objectives. They have a clear set of by-laws, operating structure and executional organization. I believe there is, potentially, a need to start an organization in Ohio. A forum MAY be one of the methods to meet a stated set of objectives, among other methods, but it is not about a forum.

I started this thread with two objectives: 1) gauge interest/need and 2) identify individuals that are interested in helping to establish the organization, structure, objectives and methods. I firmly believe, if we want to have an impact, these need to be clear. I also believe that it won't happen with a broad "collective" of people trying to figure it out on a forum. JediSkippDog's comment is really close, it is about establishing an organization with clear objectives. My experience is that it will take a smaller group of individuals to figure out if there are a set of clear, achievable objective that can be established and a set of mechanisms we believe a broader group of people can execute. IF we can get a group of individuals, who have enough experience and insight to agree, then we figure out the best way to establish the organization including structure, by-laws, financing mechanisms etc. There are many ways to create an organization, but it is jumping the gun (pun intended) to assume what that organization might be (i.e. 503c etc.) However, a forum, a web page, meet and greets, governmental communications, et. al. come after we figure out the objectives, methods, bylaws, organization etc.

I'm not into "owning" this, but I do believe that I have the experience to work with a tighter group of passionate, knowledgeable individuals that are willing to commit time to figuring this out in the short term and potentially lead the organization in the longer term. There are lots of needs, if structured properly, for people that can execute, when the time is right.

If you think this is the wrong approach and think, through a forum with a collective, this group can figure it out, I will bow out gracefully. My experience is that, much like theqbn noted: "these kind of efforts spring up all the time and then die as quickly as they started." They die quickly because they are not organized appropriately and there is a lack of clear objectives and a leadership team in place to execute. I believe a forum with a collective, will die quickly.

As in my original post, if you think you have the passion, knowledge and are interested in committing time to figure this out, send me a PM. I'll try to get a smaller group together to figure out if we can establish a clear set of objectives and a framework to move this forward.
    Last edited by glockowner; 10-10-2012 at 11:25 PM.

Thank you glockowner and you said what I was hinting at as well. There's plenty of forums out there that allow OC talk. Without an organization behind it, that's all it is, talk. The organization needs great leadership that is willing to work with the group, the admins, and others to make sure the goals of the organization are accomplished. However, again, a forum accomplishes nothing. All one has done is added another method to chat. Well, let me check my bookmarks. I have...

1) OFCC Forum - They have an OC section
    2) BFA Forum - They have an OC section
    3) OC.org - This website
    4) Facebook OC Advocates
    5) Facebook Ohioans for Constitutional Carry
    6) OhioOC.org - The one just started today

Guess what, not a single one of those does anything to really educate the citizens and police of Ohio. Ohio needs the organization to do that and then a forum to talk can be made. But the organization needs to be started first with a group or individuals that are dedicated to the cause or at least dedicated to lead others to do work for the cause. Let planning take place on the forum and then once the organization has enough interested subjects, then open it up with a forum to all members. One step at a time, however, everyone is taking the wrong steps first.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast