• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

ohioopencarry.org

Hareuhal

Well, with this all being said, I've got the domain name and webhosting purchased (OhioOC.org). I'm currently waiting on the DNS to transfer to my server, so the URL may not work for a while.

I'll be running a forum, likely with CMS, which is more or less a combination of a normal website and a forum. In any case, I'm going to need good, responsible and reliable help.

This will not be "my" website. It'll be ours. This means I need more people as administrators / moderators. Once the foundation is set, there will be an area where those who wish to help, can apply.

JediSkipdogg

This will not be "my" website. It'll be ours. This means I need more people as administrators / moderators. Once the foundation is set, there will be an area where those who wish to help, can apply.

Are you looking at just doing a forum or a complete organization? If an organization, I highly recommend some sort of articles/by-laws. Then make them public with elections of some sort for admins of the group. Otherwise, you have no purpose set out IMO.

Last edited:

glockowner

Reset

Hmmm...somehow I knew this might be a little bit like herding wet cats in the middle of winter. ;)

Guys, it is not about having a forum. It is about establishing an organization to advocate for open carry rights in the State of Ohio.

1) Hare, I applaud your enthusiasm, and I'm not saying you shouldn't start any board you want. However, a forum is just a tool to use to meet some objective.
2) Eyes, I agree with you that it is not about one person owning a site, but it's not about the a forum nor a domain. Your post, #10, starts to get at my original intent.
3) TheQBN, nothing taken personally.

My point, to reset this thread a bit, is that I've been impressed with the Michigan Open Carry organization. (I have property in both states.) They have a clear set of objectives and methods to achieve those objectives. They have a clear set of by-laws, operating structure and executional organization. I believe there is, potentially, a need to start an organization in Ohio. A forum MAY be one of the methods to meet a stated set of objectives, among other methods, but it is not about a forum.

I started this thread with two objectives: 1) gauge interest/need and 2) identify individuals that are interested in helping to establish the organization, structure, objectives and methods. I firmly believe, if we want to have an impact, these need to be clear. I also believe that it won't happen with a broad "collective" of people trying to figure it out on a forum. JediSkippDog's comment is really close, it is about establishing an organization with clear objectives. My experience is that it will take a smaller group of individuals to figure out if there are a set of clear, achievable objective that can be established and a set of mechanisms we believe a broader group of people can execute. IF we can get a group of individuals, who have enough experience and insight to agree, then we figure out the best way to establish the organization including structure, by-laws, financing mechanisms etc. There are many ways to create an organization, but it is jumping the gun (pun intended) to assume what that organization might be (i.e. 503c etc.) However, a forum, a web page, meet and greets, governmental communications, et. al. come after we figure out the objectives, methods, bylaws, organization etc.

I'm not into "owning" this, but I do believe that I have the experience to work with a tighter group of passionate, knowledgeable individuals that are willing to commit time to figuring this out in the short term and potentially lead the organization in the longer term. There are lots of needs, if structured properly, for people that can execute, when the time is right.

If you think this is the wrong approach and think, through a forum with a collective, this group can figure it out, I will bow out gracefully. My experience is that, much like theqbn noted: "these kind of efforts spring up all the time and then die as quickly as they started." They die quickly because they are not organized appropriately and there is a lack of clear objectives and a leadership team in place to execute. I believe a forum with a collective, will die quickly.

As in my original post, if you think you have the passion, knowledge and are interested in committing time to figure this out, send me a PM. I'll try to get a smaller group together to figure out if we can establish a clear set of objectives and a framework to move this forward.

Last edited:

JediSkipdogg

Thank you glockowner and you said what I was hinting at as well. There's plenty of forums out there that allow OC talk. Without an organization behind it, that's all it is, talk. The organization needs great leadership that is willing to work with the group, the admins, and others to make sure the goals of the organization are accomplished. However, again, a forum accomplishes nothing. All one has done is added another method to chat. Well, let me check my bookmarks. I have...

1) OFCC Forum - They have an OC section
2) BFA Forum - They have an OC section
3) OC.org - This website
4) Facebook OC Advocates
5) Facebook Ohioans for Constitutional Carry
6) OhioOC.org - The one just started today

Guess what, not a single one of those does anything to really educate the citizens and police of Ohio. Ohio needs the organization to do that and then a forum to talk can be made. But the organization needs to be started first with a group or individuals that are dedicated to the cause or at least dedicated to lead others to do work for the cause. Let planning take place on the forum and then once the organization has enough interested subjects, then open it up with a forum to all members. One step at a time, however, everyone is taking the wrong steps first.

theqbn

It would be very cool to see an OC-oriented organization in Ohio... maybe the time is right, now that our CHL law is established and stable.

It's important though to ask what such an organization would do. Unlike OFCC/BFA we wouldn't have much or any clout as far as legislation is concerned, but thankfully OC isn't really being challenged from a legislative aspect in Ohio. Would it be primarily a group that organizes OC events? Would donations be collected in hopes of becoming an OFCC/BFA-like group with an open carry focus? Would there be an attempt to support those involved in legal challenges related to OC, and if so, how would they be funded? Are there specific legal changes we would aspire to push through?

eye95

Whatever it is called, I will not participate in a site that does not belong to a group with a republican (little "r") charter, whether it has a forum or not--although a forum is a good idea.

So, are we forming a group and will that group acquire an existing domain name, or shall we come up with one that is unowned? Or maintain the status quo?

I am up for being part of a group that owns a site or operating entirely independently.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk.

<o>

JSlack7851

Thank you glockowner and you said what I was hinting at as well. There's plenty of forums out there that allow OC talk. Without an organization behind it, that's all it is, talk. The organization needs great leadership that is willing to work with the group, the admins, and others to make sure the goals of the organization are accomplished. However, again, a forum accomplishes nothing. All one has done is added another method to chat. Well, let me check my bookmarks. I have...

1) OFCC Forum - They have an OC section
2) BFA Forum - They have an OC section
3) OC.org - This website
4) Facebook OC Advocates
5) Facebook Ohioans for Constitutional Carry
6) OhioOC.org - The one just started today

Guess what, not a single one of those does anything to really educate the citizens and police of Ohio.

I feel I should point out that this may not be entirely true. Although we may have not taken out billboards or radio time, I can think of lots of people we've educated, Police in Garfield Heights, Rangers in Lorain County Metro, signs, taken down, ect, ect.

The list is getting longer with letters being written trying to get signs taken down. Taste of Clermont, Lorain County Ag. Society / fair, most recently letters to Tuscarawas County Commissioners and the Ag. Society that hosts the Tuscarawas county Fair. I spoke to one of the commissioners yesterday, he's pro 2A and wanted to see my research on posting GB signs at the fair. I sent him the research, and a copy to T.C. (code for his name), who took point on this project. He's writing the Tuscarawas Agricultural Society, informing they why we think their GB signs are illegal.

Every time we hold a meet and greet we talk to people and they talk to us, I've been to over two dozen, organized more than a few. One in Eastlake even had a camera from the tv station, rDigital, (code for his name) organized this. I've got pictures of me talking to a family in Lima about OC. ect, ect.

I'm sorry if you got the impression all we do is talk. Nobody is sitting on their hands. I have a short list in another thread in this forum, but its incomplete and I don't plan on updating it here. I haven't had time to update it over there (OCA) either.

We do vent sometimes, where we keep waiting for 'Phase 2', and we don't have several thousand members donating money, being told, 'my way or the highway', or 'if you don't like it get out'.

We are presently planning a OC walk in Parma, or some Cleveland 'burb. No date set yet.

(edit) Don't get me wrong, I'm not angry or even annoyed by your post, I just feel you may not have all the facts. I was wrong about you once, I get things wrong lots of times, I apologise and move on. We do our best on OCA, with what we got.

Last edited:

JediSkipdogg

Jeff, so which of those organizations I listed are you doing all of your activities as? Or are you doing them by yourself? I always got the impression you were doing everything as Jeff Slack, and not as a representative of any of the above listed organizations.

JSlack7851

Jeff, so which of those organizations I listed are you doing all of your activities as? Or are you doing them by yourself? I always got the impression you were doing everything as Jeff Slack, and not as a representative of any of the above listed organizations.

I sign my name as Administrator, Open Carry Advocates. We are presently at 70 members. Some of which are from Michigan. They are not active, as such, just there to compare notes.

Chuck!

Why would Slack need Josh's permission to list info that's all over the internet? Is it not in the public domain?

It's just a question....

Just an answer,
THIS:

Does anyone know who is behind/owns/runs ohioopencarry.org? Whois shows the domain is "private registered."

He took pains to have the domain listed as private, so he obviously didn't want to be found,
and, while it may be possible,,,,

I hope that you never post mine

Last edited:

Hareuhal

What I would like to happen is to see OhioOC gain some significant momentum and activity, which we can then use to turn into maybe some walks, lunches, etc, any form of event.

Out of those events, we could form an actual organization. I think it would be slightly unrealistic to just decide to up and form the organization right off the bat. That's just my opinion, but I'd like to get more people in the group first.

JediSkipdogg

I sign my name as Administrator, Open Carry Advocates. We are presently at 70 members. Some of which are from Michigan. They are not active, as such, just there to compare notes.

Ok, 10-4. So you are doing it kinda as part of the facebook group but without an official organization that say I could refer someone to for more info if they don't do Facebook. I have followed you well on Facebook and applaud you for what I have seen you do. I personally wish I could see you do more with a major organization behind it. I would love to see you take the Facebook group and add a .com to it somehow and I would nominate you as President if there was one. While there would be minor expenses involved, you could also collect some money for the expenses you spend in doing so.

Just remember next year when the Village of Batavia issue comes up I'm game to assist. I just need a far enough heads up in advance to attend the council meetings and speak as a resident.

Lthrnck

Dang... I tried this twice..

I tried twice to organize anOhio OC group.

We had a mission statement , and started organizing a Director, Associate Director, Treasuer, Sectary.. etc etc...

But could never get enough people to go forward.

good luck with this.

JSlack7851

Ok, 10-4. So you are doing it kinda as part of the facebook group but without an official organization that say I could refer someone to for more info if they don't do Facebook.

That facebook page was started by Chuck and myself b/c of the restrictions (TOS) of a major organization. We were able to organize and do pretty much anything we wanted, unencumbered by over zealous moderators. Refer anyone you want, my e mail address is JSlack7851@yahoo.com. All I ask is a little screening first so I'm not wasting my time looking at advertisements or people that ask for trouble.

I have followed you well on Facebook and applaud you for what I have seen you do. I personally wish I could see you do more with a major organization behind it.

Thank you for your kind words. I'd like to point out that I'm only a small part of the situation. If it weren't for the victims of police harassment, or members bringing, illegal signage, to my attention, I wouldn't have anything to write about. Plus I am not alone, I have friends and family who proof read my letters for accuracy, punctuation, and ya, misspelled words.

I would nominate you as President if there was one. While there would be minor expenses involved, you could also collect some money for the expenses you spend in doing so.
I'd second that.

Could we go back to the post where all we do is talk? This time I'll keep my mouth shut.

Just remember next year when the Village of Batavia issue comes up I'm game to assist. I just need a far enough heads up in advance to attend the council meetings and speak as a resident.

It was brought up by member Tigger (secret code name) that we rent a booth at next years festival and pass out information, openly carrying, of course. This is a great idea, whether or not they will rent us a booth is another story.

On another note, I got a letter back from the County Commissioners office, Tuscarawas County. They are going to forward my research, to the County Prosecutor's office and notify the Fair Board accordingly. I don't know if the signs at the fair will be coming down, but its a step in the right direction. If it wasn't for T.C. (secret code name) for his wanting to do something about this, and others help, in the research, it may not of happened.

I now have form letter that I will use with other county fairs, soon as I figure out who's posted and who's not. Only about eighty to go, but doable by next fall.

JmE

I tried twice to organize anOhio OC group.

We had a mission statement , and started organizing a Director, Associate Director, Treasuer, Sectary.. etc etc...

But could never get enough people to go forward.

good luck with this.
I remember when you were working so hard herding the cats and I had attended an early lunch or dinner with you guys at Golden Corral in Eastgate. Your efforts won't be forgotten as it takes individuals to keep hammering away at it. When the momentum, people, phases of the moon, etc all align; things hopefully take off but it still takes people like you to give it a go. Thank you for your noble efforts.

Lthrnck

Lots of talk and no action again...

Looks like there's lots of talk and no action again...

I tried this two different times... each time I was at every meeting and each time after 6 months of trying to get people to stand up and do something... THEY DIDN'T...

It seemed, that softball, football, summertime activities etc. etc. etc. had more importance then our Right to bear arms.

Just think if you lose our right to have our firearms, what rights will we lose next.

Just think if the government starts regulating softball, football, summertime activities etc. etc. etc.

Wait.. that's what we are doing... thinking... but there's no action going on.

It doesn't work that way. But I guess we will learn that when they knock on our doors looking for our firearms.

Hareuhal

Well, our new website (OhioOC.org) is under construction but the forums are somewhat complete. We are working on more action.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2