Thread: duty belt for OC????????

Regular Member oliverclotheshoff's Avatar

duty belt for OC????????

i have been thinking about going the duty belt direction but was interested in issues others have had to overcome in using duty belt versus a good heavy belt used to hold up your pants like holster shifting or excess bulk caused by the belt
    Last edited by oliverclotheshoff; 10-08-2012 at 10:11 AM.
    SCOTT

"When guns are outlawed only outlaws will have guns"

"When seconds count police are minutes away"

"Dialing 911 only takes seconds but waiting for help may take the rest of your life"

http://g2-elite.com/phpbb/index.php Shed Hunting

The only issue I could see is the cost, duty belts are expensive. Though they can be found second hand reasonable. I do not care much for the Sam Brown belt as adjusting is a pain for winter, because of the need to wear outside the coat and then shorten the belt for indoors wear. Some holsters will not fit the wider width of a Sam Brown belt also. I use a two inch wide work belt that I lined with chap leather, most holsters fit it, and It is easy to wear without having to move the buckle. A ranger belt IMO would be better than a Sam Brown belt, they are both considered duty belts, the ranger is usually only 2 inches wide though, and has a standard buckle.
    It is well that war is so terrible otherwise we would grow too fond of it.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

If you're interested in trying something not too expensive, check out the wilderness instructor belts. Click Here. Or Click Here. I have the 5.11 version that's my favorite for OC or CC, OWB or IWB.
    Last edited by Trip20; 10-08-2012 at 02:12 PM.

I Believe my duty belt is an uncle mikes paid 24.00 It will carry anything you put on it. no problem.

Quote Originally Posted by oliverclotheshoff View Post
    i have been thinking about going the duty belt direction but was interested in issues others have had to overcome in using duty belt versus a good heavy belt used to hold up your pants like holster shifting or excess bulk caused by the belt
    Have you considered going with nylon? I've seen nylon duty belts on Ebay and Cheaper than Dirt that come with everything (holster, baton holder, oc spray holder, mag holder, etc.) for under $40. Though the holsters suppled leave something to be desired the other items are pretty good and the price is a steal!

Quote Originally Posted by pkbites View Post
    Have you considered going with nylon? I've seen nylon duty belts on Ebay and Cheaper than Dirt that come with everything (holster, baton holder, oc spray holder, mag holder, etc.) for under $40. Though the holsters suppled leave something to be desired the other items are pretty good and the price is a steal!
    I'm allergic to nylon and plastic, gives me sudden urges to get a haircut, shave, and wear dockers.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

Quote Originally Posted by WalkingWolf View Post
    I'm allergic to nylon and plastic, gives me sudden urges to get a haircut, shave, and wear dockers.
    And with the money you save buying inexpensive nylon you will be able to afford all 3!

Quote Originally Posted by pkbites View Post
    havent quite considered which one what color or style of anything yet just weighing the pros and cons
    SCOTT

"Dialing 911 only takes seconds but waiting for help may take the rest of your life"

Used duty belts can be found cheap at most gun shows.

I have 4 or five hanging around. I haven't worn one from the time I retired. I don't find the need as I only carry a gun, leatherman and extra mag.

When carring all the extra equipment when working they worked well. Keeping all your gear in one place easy to grab and put on going out the door

I use a good leather 1.5 inch belt remember you well still need a good belt to attach the duty belt to, plus belt keepers to keep the duty belt in place other wise they slide all around, up and down.

Nylon or leather dosen't matter I used both and they work about the same. Nylon is a bit easier to adjust then the sam browne style not much.

They well make you and your gun stand out more IMHO.
    Personal Defensive Solutions professional personal firearms, edge weapons and hands on defensive training and tactics pdsolutions@hotmail.com

Any and all spelling errors are just to give the spelling Nazis something to do

Quote Originally Posted by Firearms Iinstuctor View Post

I have 4 or five hanging around. I haven't worn one from the time I retired. I don't find the need as I only carry a gun, leatherman and extra mag.

When carring all the extra equipment when working they worked well. Keeping all your gear in one place easy to grab and put on going out the door

I use a good leather 1.5 inch belt remember you well still need a good belt to attach the duty belt to, plus belt keepers to keep the duty belt in place other wise they slide all around, up and down.

Nylon or leather dosen't matter I used both and they work about the same. Nylon is a bit easier to adjust then the sam browne style not much.

im curious to how a light duty duty belt (1.5")does at pulling double duty holding up pants and holding the ghost glock
    SCOTT

Quote Originally Posted by Firearms Iinstuctor View Post

Belt keepers and inner belt are not necessary for using a duty belt~I knew many officers who did not use keepers. We used Velcro belts, I didn't care for them much, when I was young had had a small waist 28" so the weight pulled my uniform pants down to my waist. I found it uncomfortable, and stopped using the Velcro inner belt and let my duty belt ride my waist. Velcro does have an advantage as far as adjustment though.
    Robert E. Lee
    President Donald Trump

When I OCd in Montana I used a nylon gun belt with a plastic buckle and no keepers. I wouldn't do belt keepers, they allow your gear to weigh down your pants, defeating the purpose, and the point of the gun belt is to (at least to me) to avoid having to thread a belt through all the loops and mount the holster everytime you begin carrying. Belt keepers begin to project the image of an LEO wannabe, while I technically do want to be a police officer, I don't want to project that everywhere I go
    they love our milk and honey, but they preach about some other way of living, when they're running down my country man they're walkin' on the fightin side of me

NRA Member

Founder's Club Member
    I think there is something here I do not understand. Why is a duty belt needed instead of say just a good thick gun belt? I know some of the name-brand guys like Galco make gun belts in the $60-80 range, but I've also seen nice thick gun belts in undecorated black leather for $20--and that was in a notoriously expensive gun shop.

Is it a question of the amount of gear? Weight of a hunting handgun?
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen View Post
    I think there is something here I do not understand. Why is a duty belt needed instead of say just a good thick gun belt? I know some of the name-brand guys like Galco make gun belts in the $60-80 range, but I've also seen nice thick gun belts in undecorated black leather for $20--and that was in a notoriously expensive gun shop.

Is it a question of the amount of gear? Weight of a hunting handgun?
    A duty belt is usually a good thick belt. Sam Browne and Ranger belts are usually associated with duty belts, but I have seen Sheriffs who wear whatever belt suits them, even though the deputies use issued belts. Texas Rangers are free to use whatever belts they wish for duty, as long as they maintain a western attire appearance. My belt could be construed as a duty belt to some people, which it was originally intended for a work belt.

It is not the weight or amount of gear, it is the convenience of not having to go through a ritual when putting on or taking off a gun. It is not having a gun pulling down my pants, or having it wearing a hole in the upholstery of a vehicle. It also increased access to the gun when hanging from the seat next to me.
    Robert E. Lee
    President Donald Trump

Founder's Club Member
    Quote Originally Posted by WalkingWolf View Post
    SNIP It is not the weight or amount of gear, it is the convenience of not having to go through a ritual when putting on or taking off a gun. It is not having a gun pulling down my pants, or having it wearing a hole in the upholstery of a vehicle. It also increased access to the gun when hanging from the seat next to me.
    Oh, I see. Thanks.

PS: I always go through a ritual when putting on taking off a gun. Incense. Chants. The whole business. Its a little embarrassing in shopping center parking lots, but its what folks who worship their gun gotta do.
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.