Thread: Reporting Stolen Gun

Reporting Stolen Gun

Ok my gun was stolen out of my moms car last night it wasnt loaded just had the clip in no bullets and it was in the glove box. I know i have to report it stolen but im worried that i may get in trouble too for have a gun in the car the gun is register in my name tho i brought it from the pawn shop, but can the police do anything to me for having the gun in the car or what?

§ 16-11-126. Possession and Carrying a Concealed Weapon; Penalty for Violating Licensing
    Requirement

(a) Any person who is not prohibited by law from possessing a handgun or long gun may have or carry on
    his or her person a weapon or long gun on his or her property or inside his or her home, motor vehicle, or
    place of business without a valid weapons carry license....
    Quoted from www.handgunlaw.us, which also adds this note:

Note: The GA Court of Appeals ruled in (Hubbard v. State, 210 Ga. App. 141, 143-44 1993) that if you do
    not have a permit/license honored in GA you can only carry a firearm in “Your Own Vehicle.” This means
    you can carry in “Your Own Vehicle” without a permit/license but if you are riding in a vehicle that is not
    yours you must have permission of the person who has legal control of the vehicle
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

Director, Oklahoma Open Carry Association
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnDoe316 View Post
    the gun is register in my name tho i brought it from the pawn shop
    When did Georgia start gun registration?

Banned
    If you need to report a stolen gun (required to) then report it stolen. You do not have to give details.

Don't Worry..........

You won't get in trouble over it unless you are a convicted felon. You or your mother can report it. Obviously at the time of theft the firearm was not in your control (it was in a vehicle that you were not physically occupying). We take reports identical (or very similar) to this every single day.

u
    Quote Originally Posted by BRuley View Post
    You won't get in trouble over it unless you are a convicted felon. You or your mother can report it. Obviously at the time of theft the firearm was not in your control (it was in
    a vehicle that you were not physically occupying).
    We take reports identical (or very similar) to this
    every single day.
    Thank you but how does the process go? Do they send a policeman over to my house and ask
    questions or can I just take care of it all on the phone?

They will............

They will come over, fill out the report (it would be helpful if you have a serial number but not a big deal if you don't) and tell you to come pick up a copy of the police report for your insurance company. It probably won't take but a few minutes