• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Reporting Stolen Gun

JohnDoe316

Ok my gun was stolen out of my moms car last night it wasnt loaded just had the clip in no bullets and it was in the glove box. I know i have to report it stolen but im worried that i may get in trouble too for have a gun in the car the gun is register in my name tho i brought it from the pawn shop, but can the police do anything to me for having the gun in the car or what?

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
§ 16-11-126. Possession and Carrying a Concealed Weapon; Penalty for Violating Licensing
Requirement

(a) Any person who is not prohibited by law from possessing a handgun or long gun may have or carry on
his or her person a weapon or long gun on his or her property or inside his or her home, motor vehicle, or
place of business without a valid weapons carry license....

Quoted from www.handgunlaw.us, which also adds this note:

Note: The GA Court of Appeals ruled in (Hubbard v. State, 210 Ga. App. 141, 143-44 1993) that if you do
not have a permit/license honored in GA you can only carry a firearm in “Your Own Vehicle.” This means
you can carry in “Your Own Vehicle” without a permit/license but if you are riding in a vehicle that is not
yours you must have permission of the person who has legal control of the vehicle

BRuley

Don't Worry..........

You won't get in trouble over it unless you are a convicted felon. You or your mother can report it. Obviously at the time of theft the firearm was not in your control (it was in a vehicle that you were not physically occupying). We take reports identical (or very similar) to this every single day.

JohnDoe316

u
You won't get in trouble over it unless you are a convicted felon. You or your mother can report it. Obviously at the time of theft the firearm was not in your control (it was in
a vehicle that you were not physically occupying).
We take reports identical (or very similar) to this
every single day.

Thank you but how does the process go? Do they send a policeman over to my house and ask
questions or can I just take care of it all on the phone?

BRuley

They will............

They will come over, fill out the report (it would be helpful if you have a serial number but not a big deal if you don't) and tell you to come pick up a copy of the police report for your insurance company. It probably won't take but a few minutes