Thread: examiner.com - Virginians to show gun permits as voter ID, no photo required

Moderator / Administrator

examiner.com - Virginians to show gun permits as voter ID, no photo required

http://www.examiner.com/article/virg...photo-required

SNIP

Based on the chatter on gun blogs and Internet forums, it looks like a groundswell is underway in Virginia to borrow a page from Napoléon’s playbook and vote ‘to the sound of the guns.’ Thanks to a new law passed by the Virginia General Assembly and signed by Governor Bob McDonnell (R), all that it will take to vote in Virginia this year is a concealed handgun permit.

. . .

I notice on the picture of the permit for that article that is says it must be carried WITH proper photo ID. How does that fit in?

In my state, the permit is NOT ID itself, and must be presented with state ID, even though the permit also has a picture. I'm assuming VA is different, of course.
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

Quote Originally Posted by MAC702 View Post
    I notice on the picture of the permit for that article that is says it must be carried WITH proper photo ID. How does that fit in?

In my state, the permit is NOT ID itself, and must be presented with state ID, even though the permit also has a picture. I'm assuming VA is different, of course.
    In order to use the CHP for its intended purpose, it must be displayed with a photo ID, because it does not have one itself.

However, there is no separate "photo" component to the ID requirement for voting. The Board of Elections mails out a Voter Registration Card to every registered voter. That alone (no photo, but name and address) is sufficient for voting, along with a whole long list of other artifacts that do not contain photographs of the registered voter.

The law did not say that the CHP was permissible only if it were presented with a photo ID, so I'm sure that just the CHP itself will be fine... at least I believe that was the intent of the General Assembly. Who knows what the local election officials will do on election day.

TFred

A CHP Must Be Accompanied By a Valid Photo ID

When carrying a concealed handgun. At all other times it is just a piece of paper with your name on it.
    The quiet war has begun, with silent weapons
    And the newest slavery is to keep the people poor, and stupid
    Novos ordo seclorum ~ Mustaine

Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Quote Originally Posted by wylde007 View Post
    When carrying a concealed handgun. At all other times it is just a piece of paper with your name on it.
    Mine is a laminated piece of paper with my name on it
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    NRA Certified Range Safety Officer