• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

examiner.com - Virginians to show gun permits as voter ID, no photo required

Mike

Site Co-Founder
http://www.examiner.com/article/virginians-to-show-gun-permits-as-voter-id-no-photo-required

SNIP

Based on the chatter on gun blogs and Internet forums, it looks like a groundswell is underway in Virginia to borrow a page from Napoléon’s playbook and vote ‘to the sound of the guns.’ Thanks to a new law passed by the Virginia General Assembly and signed by Governor Bob McDonnell (R), all that it will take to vote in Virginia this year is a concealed handgun permit.

. . .

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
I notice on the picture of the permit for that article that is says it must be carried WITH proper photo ID. How does that fit in?

In my state, the permit is NOT ID itself, and must be presented with state ID, even though the permit also has a picture. I'm assuming VA is different, of course.

TFred

I notice on the picture of the permit for that article that is says it must be carried WITH proper photo ID. How does that fit in?

In my state, the permit is NOT ID itself, and must be presented with state ID, even though the permit also has a picture. I'm assuming VA is different, of course.
In order to use the CHP for its intended purpose, it must be displayed with a photo ID, because it does not have one itself.

However, there is no separate "photo" component to the ID requirement for voting. The Board of Elections mails out a Voter Registration Card to every registered voter. That alone (no photo, but name and address) is sufficient for voting, along with a whole long list of other artifacts that do not contain photographs of the registered voter.

The law did not say that the CHP was permissible only if it were presented with a photo ID, so I'm sure that just the CHP itself will be fine... at least I believe that was the intent of the General Assembly. Who knows what the local election officials will do on election day.

TFred

wylde007

A CHP Must Be Accompanied By a Valid Photo ID

When carrying a concealed handgun. At all other times it is just a piece of paper with your name on it.