• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Campaign Carry??

ryan7068

I am trying to determine if there are any laws with regard to carrying around campaigning nominees or even the president for that matter(***to the F.B.I./Secret Service : please don't disappear me like Brandon Raub, this is just an innocent question regarding the exercising of my rights!!!***).....If carry is not illegal in public in a specific state, is it possible by some federal law to regulate your carrying. Or is most campaign stops on private property where the owner is allowed to regulate such carry? I've been searching around and can't find any info....Thanks!

Last edited:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
No Laws that I'm aware of. The last time I did it I got snotty looks from the Secret Service and they took my picture of me taking their picture. That was about it.

cobb22.jpg

ryan7068

Leave it to you peter! Not that I know you, but given your previous posts that i've seen, I should have known you'd have a picture documenting a similar situation :p

I was just kinda curious with all pres election campaigning going on. I guess Romney's up in newport news and was curious if any local OCers were attending.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
No Laws that I'm aware of. The last time I did it I got snotty looks from the Secret Service and they took my picture of me taking their picture. That was about it.

please don't disappear me like Brandon Raub, this is just an innocent question regarding the exercising of my rights

Who the He!! is Brandon Raub, did someone "disappear him and if so....where did we put him?
cobb22.jpg

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Just be very conscious about what you do. The slightest excuse will get you a seat in an interview room until the VIP is gone.

ryan7068

Hes a VA resident that was detained by federal officers using a state law regarding citizen psych evaluation (attempted 30 days, was released after 5) without any form of due process if deemed an emergency. He made some government critical statements without any direct provocation or threats.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/john-w-whitehead/america-commitment-laws-silencing_b_1874803.html

***With regard to watching what I say, I am certainly aware of how overboard some of these gestapo agents can be and will be cautious in how I word things.

Last edited:

DJEEPER

This seems like it could be fun. :evil:

I love exercising my rights....especially when others are too afraid to

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
There are no laws about carrying near a candidate. The security detail establishes a zone around the candidate inside of which they do not permit anyone without prior approval and without some sort of search - couldf be anything from a TSA grope to a quick look to see if your eyes are glazed worse than a Krispy Kreme donut. At the sight of a gun carried by a non-leo, let alone hearing the word "gun", they are going to go into some sort of protective response dance. The higher up the political food chain the candidate is the more vigorous the dance will be.

There are a bunch of federal laws about threatening a candidate, and I have no idea how the Secret Service applies them to otherwise-lawful OC/CC around their principle. There may be state laws as well but I just have never bothered to check.

Outside the "safe" zone you can expect to be rousted, but may not have to actually kiss the pavement while imitating a soaring eagle. Again, whateve lawsr the protective detail bases their behavior on will apply, to some extent, outside the "safe" zone.

I'm not sure that our dashing young videographer would be willing to film someone who volunteered to walk up to someone on the protective detail and ask them a few questioms to help clarify the issue for the rest of us -- and he's got some excellent telephoto lenses he would probably think of using if he did agree to video the event.

stay safe.