• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Shooting at Regency Square - elderly woman hurt

Repeater

Don't visitors obey Mall policies?

Police seek suspect in Regency Square food court shooting
Henrico police are looking for a man suspected of firing a shot in the restroom area of the food court at Regency Square this afternoon then fleeing along with customers running from the scene. Two injuries were reported by police.

Henrico Lt. Linda Toney described the suspect as a black male, 6-feet-2-inches, with his hair in dreadlocks and wearing a red hoodie.

A 74-year-old woman was injured when she tripped and fell during the commotion, and a 20-year-old man received what it appears to be a richochet injury from the bullet that was fired, police said. The gunshot struck a tiled floor in the hallway just outside the family restroom.

Great place to visit, huh? Just like Snag-a-job.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Putting the bit in your headline about the elderly lady who sprained her ankle wile running out to the parking lot is a very cheap shot.

If anything you could have mentioned there the man who might have been struck by ricochet fragments (or concrete wall spalling fragments) in the hallway where the alleged shooting allegedly occurred.

What I want to know is how this could have happened in the first place? Doesn't Regency Square prohibit firearms? Somebody's got some 'splainin' to do!

From an unnamed eye witness there was a fairly massive (12 to 15 units) response and they were reported to be hauling around eeeeeeevillllllllll black rifles. The news readers are all saying they were respoding to an active shooter situation, but I have not heard or read anything about how many of them went in immediately upon arrival, which is supposed to be astate-of-the-art response to active shooter incidents. (Just ask the folks up in Prince George's County where they scheduled the unannounced drill a few months ago.) Or is Henricio still working off the Columbine/Virginia Tech memo?

Given the fact that there was a single shot and it took place in a fairly isolated part of the mall, my plan of action most likely would have been to get low, assess the situation for any identifiable BGs moving anywhere near me, and looking for the nearest potted palm to take cover behind. If I were breaking the rules (something you all know I would never do and absolutely do not condone in others) I would not be reaching for anything until/unless I saw a clearly identifiable BG heading straight for me. I prefer to be the best witness I can while keeping all parts of me behind cover.

stay saafe.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
From this ambiguous report, for all we know the guy just had a ND while adjusting his pants in the stall...

And agree... lady hurt: nothing to do with it.

TFred

Pretty much TFred. An acquaintance who was there with his wife, said he walked by the fellow and he told him to stop looking at him (shooter said that). He and a group of flies walked back to the can and the shot went off.

Translation....a wanna be gangbanger (Ghetto dressup person) had mommies gun and it went off while he was acting tough. Said Lord and Flies ran away very quickly.

No one was hurt so the news people and responding Leo's had to make up a couple of victims.

Nothing to see here.

TFred

Pretty much TFred. An acquaintance who was there with his wife, said he walked by the fellow and he told him to stop looking at him (shooter said that). He and a group of flies walked back to the can and the shot went off.

Translation....a wanna be gangbanger (Ghetto dressup person) had mommies gun and it went off while he was acting tough. Said Lord and Flies ran away very quickly.

No one was hurt so the news people and responding Leo's had to make up a couple of victims.

Nothing to see here.
So it sounds like he'll be dead or incarcerated within 5 years anyway...

TFred

OC for ME

Better question, how many folks shrugged it off as some "odd noise", thought nothing of it, yelled at their obnoxious kids runnig around the food court, and went back to their Qdoba burrito?

45acpForMe

<snip>

Given the fact that there was a single shot and it took place in a fairly isolated part of the mall, my plan of action most likely would have been to get low, assess the situation for any identifiable BGs moving anywhere near me, and looking for the nearest potted palm to take cover behind. If I were breaking the rules (something you all know I would never do and absolutely do not condone in others) I would not be reaching for anything until/unless I saw a clearly identifiable BG heading straight for me. I prefer to be the best witness I can while keeping all parts of me behind cover.

stay saafe.

I don't know why but the purple comments made the following images pop into my head: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQyUKnCf0YY

45acpForMe

I'd appreciate any enlightenment you might care to provide regarding a better or more appropriate or safer course of action.

I really would.

stay safe.

I wasn't criticizing your method nor madness. :) I just had visions of you bobbing slowly up and down between the leaves like the laugh-in gag. :) If I could have found a Santa Claus picture doing the same (rather than the german soldier spoof) I would have used it.

Then again, you could bring your arms up and walk around clucking like a chicken and walk around looking for bird seed. Seeing that I have never heard of someone being shot while doing that the statistics show you should be 99.999999999999999999% safe. :) Or as Douglas Adams may suggest, throw yourself at the floor, miss, and fly out of there.