Thread: Coming to WI for the weekend

Coming to WI for the weekend

X-Posted from WI Carry on Facebook:

Lil ole me from Michigan will be visiting your fine state next week to attend a wedding.

The wedding will be in a church and the reception will be in a rental haul. I plan to CC at both, if legal -- and from my reading it appears to be so? http://handgunlaw.us/states/wisconsin.pdf

I have a Michigan CPL (Concealed Pistol License) and I don't plan to be drinking (If I do, I'll secure it in a safe in my trunk).

Am I missing anything?

Of course, I'll be taking my retention holster with me and I'll OC while I'm out and about. Anything I should watch out for there?

I expect most of my time will be spent in Green Bay/Door County.
    Call for a cop, call for an ambulance, and call for a pizza. See who shows up first.

I am not a lawyer (merely an omnipotent member of a continuum). The contents of this post are not a substitute for sound legal advice from a licensed attorney in your jurisdiction.

Comments and views stated in my post are my own and do not necessarily represent the views of Michigan Open Carry, Inc. unless stated otherwise in the post.

Just bring a recorder per usual. Since your not going near Milwaukee you should be fine as far as over zealous LEOs. Have fun.

Regular Member paul@paul-fisher.com's Avatar

Re: Coming to WI for the weekend

Both places mentioned are legal unless posted.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2

If you consume alcohol, make sure the firearm is unloaded and encased. I can't remember the exact term, but they will try to charge you with carrying with a dangerous weapon while having alcohol in your system.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. Thomas Jefferson (1776)

If you go into a store, with a gun, and rob it, you have forfeited your right to not get shot - Joe Deters, Hamilton County (Cincinnati) Prosecutor

I ask sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few politicians. - George Mason (father of the Bill of Rights and The Virginia Declaration of Rights)

Can I OC in a bar/tavern (Class B -- whatever that means) with my CPL?
    Call for a cop, call for an ambulance, and call for a pizza. See who shows up first.

I am not a lawyer (merely an omnipotent member of a continuum). The contents of this post are not a substitute for sound legal advice from a licensed attorney in your jurisdiction.

Comments and views stated in my post are my own and do not necessarily represent the views of Michigan Open Carry, Inc. unless stated otherwise in the post.

Quote Originally Posted by TheQ View Post
    Can I OC in a bar/tavern (Class B -- whatever that means) with my CPL?
    As long as it is not posted and you aren't drinking, yes.

Michigan has a "duty to inform" if you are stopped by an officer (stupid requirement). Any such requirement in WI?

Regular Member oliverclotheshoff's Avatar
    no there is not
    SCOTT

"When guns are outlawed only outlaws will have guns"

"When seconds count police are minutes away"

"Dialing 911 only takes seconds but waiting for help may take the rest of your life"

http://g2-elite.com/phpbb/index.php Shed Hunting

Quote Originally Posted by TheQ View Post
    Michigan has a "duty to inform" if you are stopped by an officer (stupid requirement). Any such requirement in WI?
    No. However, if you are concealing and they ask for your CCL, you must give it to them.

Quote Originally Posted by paul@paul-fisher.com View Post
    No. However, if you are concealing and they ask for your CCL, you must give it to them.
    Even with no RAS?
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. Thomas Jefferson (1776)

If you go into a store, with a gun, and rob it, you have forfeited your right to not get shot - Joe Deters, Hamilton County (Cincinnati) Prosecutor

I ask sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few politicians. - George Mason (father of the Bill of Rights and The Virginia Declaration of Rights)

How would they know your concealed
    and ask for the ccl If your actually concealed.? Especially if you stay quiet. Absent RAS and or permission to search or a big mouth how would they be the wiser?

Fishing

Quote Originally Posted by Sorcice View Post
    How would they know your concealed
    and ask for the ccl If your actually concealed.? Especially if you stay quiet. Absent RAS and or permission to search or a big mouth how would they be the wiser?
    It has become quite common for LEO's to ask. If you have an NRA or other pro 2a sticker on your car or other indication of being someone who is likely to be armed and they want to spend a little more time or attention to you, they might cast that line.

Quote Originally Posted by Yetiman View Post
    It has become quite common for LEO's to ask. If you have an NRA or other pro 2a sticker on your car or other indication of being someone who is likely to be armed and they want to spend a little more time or attention to you, they might cast that line.
    That's why I OC. No fishing needed.

I have not been asked if I was carrying by a LEO since Act 35 become effective.

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
    There is no legal obligation to answer that question IMO, and I would refuse to answer it.

Pro-rights stickers do not make for probable cause to ask, search, etc.

I need to read through the law again, but I believe you are only required to show your permission slip in certain specific cases, and the cop not seeing a weapon, but only suspicious is not one of those cases.

175.60(2g)(c)Unless the licensee or out-of-state licensee is carrying a concealed weapon in a manner described under s. 941.23 (2) (e), a licensee who is carrying a concealed weapon shall display his or her license document and photographic identification card and an out-of-state licensee who is carrying a concealed weapon shall display his or her out-of-state license and photographic identification card to a law enforcement officer upon the request of the law enforcement officer while the law enforcement officer is acting in an official capacity and with lawful authority.

I believe the keys are "with lawful authority", in other words, RAS.