• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Coming to WI for the weekend

TheQ

X-Posted from WI Carry on Facebook:

Lil ole me from Michigan will be visiting your fine state next week to attend a wedding.

The wedding will be in a church and the reception will be in a rental haul. I plan to CC at both, if legal -- and from my reading it appears to be so? http://handgunlaw.us/states/wisconsin.pdf

I have a Michigan CPL (Concealed Pistol License) and I don't plan to be drinking (If I do, I'll secure it in a safe in my trunk).

Am I missing anything?

Of course, I'll be taking my retention holster with me and I'll OC while I'm out and about. Anything I should watch out for there?

I expect most of my time will be spent in Green Bay/Door County.

Sorcice

Just bring a recorder per usual. Since your not going near Milwaukee you should be fine as far as over zealous LEOs. Have fun.

protias

If you consume alcohol, make sure the firearm is unloaded and encased. I can't remember the exact term, but they will try to charge you with carrying with a dangerous weapon while having alcohol in your system.

TheQ

Michigan has a "duty to inform" if you are stopped by an officer (stupid requirement). Any such requirement in WI?

Sorcice

How would they know your concealed
and ask for the ccl If your actually concealed.? Especially if you stay quiet. Absent RAS and or permission to search or a big mouth how would they be the wiser?

Yetiman

Fishing

How would they know your concealed
and ask for the ccl If your actually concealed.? Especially if you stay quiet. Absent RAS and or permission to search or a big mouth how would they be the wiser?

It has become quite common for LEO's to ask. If you have an NRA or other pro 2a sticker on your car or other indication of being someone who is likely to be armed and they want to spend a little more time or attention to you, they might cast that line.

paul@paul-fisher.com

It has become quite common for LEO's to ask. If you have an NRA or other pro 2a sticker on your car or other indication of being someone who is likely to be armed and they want to spend a little more time or attention to you, they might cast that line.

That's why I OC. No fishing needed.

I have not been asked if I was carrying by a LEO since Act 35 become effective.

Nutczak

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
There is no legal obligation to answer that question IMO, and I would refuse to answer it.

Pro-rights stickers do not make for probable cause to ask, search, etc.

I need to read through the law again, but I believe you are only required to show your permission slip in certain specific cases, and the cop not seeing a weapon, but only suspicious is not one of those cases.

paul@paul-fisher.com

175.60(2g)(c)Unless the licensee or out-of-state licensee is carrying a concealed weapon in a manner described under s. 941.23 (2) (e), a licensee who is carrying a concealed weapon shall display his or her license document and photographic identification card and an out-of-state licensee who is carrying a concealed weapon shall display his or her out-of-state license and photographic identification card to a law enforcement officer upon the request of the law enforcement officer while the law enforcement officer is acting in an official capacity and with lawful authority.

I believe the keys are "with lawful authority", in other words, RAS.