Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: Local idiot carries in a bar while drinking.

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Janesville, Wisconsin, United States
    Posts
    115

    Local idiot carries in a bar while drinking.

    "Janesville police dealt with their first carry/conceal violation in a bar Monday afternoon.

    David M. Swenson, 53, of 211 ˝ W. Milwaukee St., was arrested at 2:16 p.m. Monday on charges of disorderly conduct while armed, carrying a concealed weapon and endangering safety by use of a dangerous weapon, said Sgt. Aaron Ellis."

    http://gazettextra.com/weblogs/lates...ade-local-bar/

  2. #2
    Campaign Veteran MAC702's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Nevada
    Posts
    6,520
    Title is misleading. There was apparently a lot more to it than mere drinking, even if drinking while armed is illegal in your state.

    Indeed, he was DRUNK (3x legal limit), and was HANDLING the weapon. He was an idiot, and deserves his punishment.
    Last edited by MAC702; 10-09-2012 at 02:11 PM.
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

  3. #3
    Regular Member oliverclotheshoff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    mauston wi
    Posts
    849
    "Although it is not illegal to carry a concealed weapon with a permit into an alcohol establishment, “you can’t be intoxicated and be in possession of a loaded weapon,” he said. "

    so at what BAC level is it ok to carry concealed

    i dont know what laws this cop is reading but last time i read from the nice well legalized versed folks here you cant drink period while carrying concealed
    SCOTT

    "When guns are outlawed only outlaws will have guns"

    "When seconds count police are minutes away"

    "Dialing 911 only takes seconds but waiting for help may take the rest of your life"

    http://g2-elite.com/phpbb/index.php Shed Hunting

  4. #4
    Regular Member MKEgal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    in front of my computer, WI
    Posts
    4,426
    Since he's charged with ccw, apparently he didn't have a license & the officer thought it wasn't visible... even though the article says he was showing it to someone.
    he was displaying it to another customer
    Where have we heard this before? It's visible, so it's concealed?
    Or maybe someone was worried that it was being handled (whether or not they'd seen him drinking), called police, & he'd holstered/pocketed it by the time they showed up?
    I wouldn't be surprised if they throw in possession while under the influence.

  5. #5
    Founder's Club Member protias's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    SE, WI
    Posts
    7,318
    You can OC in a bar and consume if you have permission from the owner or liquor license holder. 941.237

    Quote Originally Posted by MKEgal View Post
    Since he's charged with ccw, apparently he didn't have a license & the officer thought it wasn't visible... even though the article says he was showing it to someone.
    Well, if you don't see it the first time because you didn't look, it had to be concealed...
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. Thomas Jefferson (1776)

    If you go into a store, with a gun, and rob it, you have forfeited your right to not get shot - Joe Deters, Hamilton County (Cincinnati) Prosecutor

    I ask sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few politicians. - George Mason (father of the Bill of Rights and The Virginia Declaration of Rights)

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    140
    Quote Originally Posted by oliverclotheshoff View Post
    "Although it is not illegal to carry a concealed weapon with a permit into an alcohol establishment, “you can’t be intoxicated and be in possession of a loaded weapon,” he said. "

    so at what BAC level is it ok to carry concealed

    i dont know what laws this cop is reading but last time i read from the nice well legalized versed folks here you cant drink period while carrying concealed
    Not sure what WI laws are, but in MN you can't have a BAC of .04 or higher while carrying. So basically you can have one beer, one shot, or one glass of wine.

  7. #7
    Wisconsin Carry, Inc. Shotgun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Madison, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    2,668
    There's no particular BAC level in Wisconsin. It's a judgement call that the jury makes. Going armed while under the influence of an intoxicant has been defined as "materially impairing the ability to handle a firearm." Jury instructions describe it as "consuming an amount of alcohol to cause the person to be less able to exercise clear judgment and steady hand necessary to handle a firearm."

    At three times the blood level that is considered impaired for driving a vehicle it's unlikely a jury would have a difficult time making that judgement call in this case.
    A. Gold

    Failure to comply may result in discipline up to and including termination.
    The free man is a warrior. - Nietzsche "Twilight of the Idols"

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    140
    Quote Originally Posted by Shotgun View Post
    There's no particular BAC level in Wisconsin. It's a judgement call that the jury makes. Going armed while under the influence of an intoxicant has been defined as "materially impairing the ability to handle a firearm." Jury instructions describe it as "consuming an amount of alcohol to cause the person to be less able to exercise clear judgment and steady hand necessary to handle a firearm."

    At three times the blood level that is considered impaired for driving a vehicle it's unlikely a jury would have a difficult time making that judgement call in this case.
    Ah, well if that is the law, I wouldn't feel comfortable having a single beer then. The prosecuting attorney would love to tell a jury you had alcohol in your system. I suppose this would apply regardless of the laws.

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Johnson City, TN
    Posts
    252
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottE View Post
    Not sure what WI laws are, but in MN you can't have a BAC of .04 or higher while carrying. So basically you can have one beer, one shot, or one glass of wine.
    Be thankful. In Tennessee, if you get caught carrying with a BAC that's any higher than .00, you lose your permit for three years.
    "Eternal vigilance is the price of liberty."
    "All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing."
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

  10. #10
    Regular Member davegran's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Cassville Area -Twelve Miles From Anything, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    1,565

    Thumbs down Poorly written story

    Quote Originally Posted by MKEgal View Post
    Since he's charged with ccw, apparently he didn't have a license & the officer thought it wasn't visible... even though the article says he was showing it to someone. ....
    This quote from the story,
    Although it is not illegal to carry a concealed weapon with a permit into an alcohol establishment, “you can’t be intoxicated and be in possession of a loaded weapon,” he said.
    implies that he was a licensed carrier.
    Dave
    45ACP-For when you care enough to send the very best-
    Fight for "Stand Your Ground " legislation!

    WI DA Gerald R. Fox:
    "These so-called 'public safety' laws only put decent law-abiding citizens at a dangerous disadvantage when it comes to their personal safety, and I for one am glad that this decades-long era of defective thinking on gun issues is over..."

    Remember: Don't make old People mad. We don't like being old in the first place, so it doesn't take much to piss us off.

  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Ellsworth Wisconsin
    Posts
    1,213
    It is possible that the Janesville idiot did not familarize himself well enough with the laws or he was having a delusion of grandeur while taking the CCL class and thus missed the importance of knowing the laws. I do carry the DOJ Q and A short sheet with me and just got the PDF of the longer version.
    Last edited by Law abider; 10-10-2012 at 02:32 PM.

  12. #12
    McX
    Guest
    i never take my gun out drinking. it's too cheap to pay for me, does nothing but sit there, and try to pick up on other guns, and cant drive me home afterwards. all it orders at the bar is oil, and if it gets anything else, it gets all rusty and crabby. guns and alcohol dont mix.

  13. #13
    Founder's Club Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Fairfax Co., VA
    Posts
    18,766
    Quote Originally Posted by McX View Post
    i never take my gun out drinking. it's too cheap to pay for me, does nothing but sit there, and try to pick up on other guns, and cant drive me home afterwards. all it orders at the bar is oil, and if it gets anything else, it gets all rusty and crabby. guns and alcohol dont mix.
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

    If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

    There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •