Thread: OC in GWNF not hunting?

OC in GWNF not hunting?

going(leading a group actually) on a breast cancer charity jeep ride this weekend in GWNF, wondering if i can OC in the woods? we will be leaving the trail close to dark and would rather not run across a bear or any other dangerous situation un-armed.

and i know it's been asked before and i have since forgotten.

Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cptstoney View Post
    going(leading a group actually) on a breast cancer charity jeep ride this weekend in GWNF, wondering if i can OC in the woods? we will be leaving the trail close to dark and would rather not run across a bear or any other dangerous situation un-armed.

and i know it's been asked before and i have since forgotten.
    Not yet. It's bow season and I don't think there's anything else open that would qualify. As far as I know, you don't have to be hunting, it just has to be hunting season.

I won't ask if you have a CHP (Touchy subject right now)

A couple of questions you can ask yourself I won't comment on:

1. Are you really concerned about your safety?
    2. When was the last time you saw a Ranger while hunting?
    3. When was the last time a Ranger searched your daypack while hiking?
    Last edited by peter nap; 10-09-2012 at 02:39 PM.

1. it's not really my safety i'm worried about its the others i'm leading along with their kids and dogs
    2. i see a rangers almost everytime i go up there, they usally stop and talk to us, our club has a very good rep. with the rangers in that dist.. we have done trail clean ups and even trail repair for them.
    3. i have been searched once while out there but it was my whole jeep and a training exc. for the new guy being supervised by the ranger i see all the time.

the bears have come close to the jeeps in the past, we have also chased them out of camp too.

i do not have a CHP, keep forgetting to save $50 and dont feel like re-taking the hunter safety class i took in '99

1. it's not really my safety i'm worried about its the others i'm leading along with their kids and dogs
    2. i see a rangers almost everytime i go up there, they usally stop and talk to us, our club has a very good rep. with the rangers in that dist.. we have done trail clean ups and even trail repair for them.
    3. i have been searched once while out there but it was my whole jeep and a training exc. for the new guy being supervised by the ranger i see all the time.

the bears have come close to the jeeps in the past, we have also chased them out of camp too.

i do not have a CHP, keep forgetting to save $50 and dont feel like re-taking the hunter safety class i took in '99
    That's odd!
    I grew up in the GWNF and can't say I ever saw a Ranger more than a hundred yards off of a road and I certainly never had one search anything and wouldn't let them even if they waned to.

Maybe that's another National Forest
    Anyway, you have the options, know the rules and the rest is up to you.

Quote Originally Posted by peter nap View Post
    Not yet. It's bow season and I don't think there's anything else open that would qualify. As far as I know, you don't have to be hunting, it just has to be hunting season.

I won't ask if you have a CHP (Touchy subject right now)

A couple of questions you can ask yourself I won't comment on:

1. Are you really concerned about your safety?
    2. When was the last time you saw a Ranger while hunting?
    3. When was the last time a Ranger searched your daypack while hiking?
    Coyote
    Season:
    Continuous open season on private lands. Coyote hunting on National Forest lands and Department lands is permitted from September 1 through March 9 and during the spring turkey season and spring squirrel season on certain areas (see area listings for spring squirrel season). Coyotes may not be hunted on Sundays.

Peter remember hunting season is not just big game.

Quote Originally Posted by 67GT390FB View Post
    Coyote
    Season:
    Continuous open season on private lands. Coyote hunting on National Forest lands and Department lands is permitted from September 1 through March 9 and during the spring turkey season and spring squirrel season on certain areas (see area listings for spring squirrel season). Coyotes may not be hunted on Sundays.

Peter remember hunting season is not just big game.
    You're right!

There you go cptstoney , you're legal

Training doesn't expire.... OCC or NovaJeepers?

Roscoe
    "The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good." - George Washington

Quote Originally Posted by roscoe13 View Post

Roscoe
    Or Middle Peninsula Jeep Association Inc. ot KMA
    Or Dark Side Offroad?

I'm in MPJAI...

Is it the Bounce the Boobies Ride?
    Last edited by DJEEPER; 10-10-2012 at 01:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by DJEEPER View Post
    Or Middle Peninsula Jeep Association Inc. ot KMA
    Or Dark Side Offroad?

I'm in MPJAI...

Is it the Bounce the Boobies Ride?
    yeah its the boobies ride, i'm an officer(member at large) over on NVJA(go ny stoney04tj over ther) and i'm part of the trail ride committee also. the ride isn't an NVJA event but the organizers asked me to help out since they had 100 people signed up and no trail guide yet.......... it's gonna be like herding cats up there on saturday.........

Quote Originally Posted by roscoe13 View Post

Roscoe
    oh i know i just didn't want to give the state a reason to denie me.

haven't joined OCC cause i can't make their meetings after work.(read to lazy to try )