• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC in GWNF not hunting?

cptstoney

going(leading a group actually) on a breast cancer charity jeep ride this weekend in GWNF, wondering if i can OC in the woods? we will be leaving the trail close to dark and would rather not run across a bear or any other dangerous situation un-armed.

and i know it's been asked before and i have since forgotten.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
going(leading a group actually) on a breast cancer charity jeep ride this weekend in GWNF, wondering if i can OC in the woods? we will be leaving the trail close to dark and would rather not run across a bear or any other dangerous situation un-armed.

and i know it's been asked before and i have since forgotten.

Not yet. It's bow season and I don't think there's anything else open that would qualify. As far as I know, you don't have to be hunting, it just has to be hunting season.

I won't ask if you have a CHP (Touchy subject right now)

A couple of questions you can ask yourself I won't comment on:

1. Are you really concerned about your safety?
2. When was the last time you saw a Ranger while hunting?
3. When was the last time a Ranger searched your daypack while hiking?

Last edited:

cptstoney

1. it's not really my safety i'm worried about its the others i'm leading along with their kids and dogs
2. i see a rangers almost everytime i go up there, they usally stop and talk to us, our club has a very good rep. with the rangers in that dist.. we have done trail clean ups and even trail repair for them.
3. i have been searched once while out there but it was my whole jeep and a training exc. for the new guy being supervised by the ranger i see all the time.

the bears have come close to the jeeps in the past, we have also chased them out of camp too.

i do not have a CHP, keep forgetting to save $50 and dont feel like re-taking the hunter safety class i took in '99 :)

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
1. it's not really my safety i'm worried about its the others i'm leading along with their kids and dogs
2. i see a rangers almost everytime i go up there, they usally stop and talk to us, our club has a very good rep. with the rangers in that dist.. we have done trail clean ups and even trail repair for them.
3. i have been searched once while out there but it was my whole jeep and a training exc. for the new guy being supervised by the ranger i see all the time.

the bears have come close to the jeeps in the past, we have also chased them out of camp too.

i do not have a CHP, keep forgetting to save $50 and dont feel like re-taking the hunter safety class i took in '99 :)

That's odd!
I grew up in the GWNF and can't say I ever saw a Ranger more than a hundred yards off of a road and I certainly never had one search anything and wouldn't let them even if they waned to.

Maybe that's another National Forest:lol:
Anyway, you have the options, know the rules and the rest is up to you.

67GT390FB

Not yet. It's bow season and I don't think there's anything else open that would qualify. As far as I know, you don't have to be hunting, it just has to be hunting season.

I won't ask if you have a CHP (Touchy subject right now)

A couple of questions you can ask yourself I won't comment on:

1. Are you really concerned about your safety?
2. When was the last time you saw a Ranger while hunting?
3. When was the last time a Ranger searched your daypack while hiking?

Coyote
Season:
Continuous open season on private lands. Coyote hunting on National Forest lands and Department lands is permitted from September 1 through March 9 and during the spring turkey season and spring squirrel season on certain areas (see area listings for spring squirrel season). Coyotes may not be hunted on Sundays.

Peter remember hunting season is not just big game.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Coyote
Season:
Continuous open season on private lands. Coyote hunting on National Forest lands and Department lands is permitted from September 1 through March 9 and during the spring turkey season and spring squirrel season on certain areas (see area listings for spring squirrel season). Coyotes may not be hunted on Sundays.

Peter remember hunting season is not just big game.

You're right!

There you go cptstoney , you're legal

cptstoney

Or Middle Peninsula Jeep Association Inc. ot KMA
Or Dark Side Offroad?

I'm in MPJAI...

Is it the Bounce the Boobies Ride?

yeah its the boobies ride, i'm an officer(member at large) over on NVJA(go ny stoney04tj over ther) and i'm part of the trail ride committee also. the ride isn't an NVJA event but the organizers asked me to help out since they had 100 people signed up and no trail guide yet.......... it's gonna be like herding cats up there on saturday.........