Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A pro-gun political meeting in a GUN FREE ZONE?!?! Monroe Co. residents please read

A pro-gun political meeting in a GUN FREE ZONE?!?! Monroe Co. residents please read

The Monroe evening news contains an ad titled "Firearms & Politics", where they are asking for people to come out and meet the pro-gun politicians running for elections this november.

Sounds great, right? Well guess where this is being held...the Monroe Community College, a "gun free zone"! In fact, the bottom of the ad is in bold print and underlined with the text-

Vote for PRO-GUN Politicians (No firearms on school property please)

It says this is being sponsored by S-W Firearms training, but I am not having any luck finding out who that is and how to contact them. If anyone knows who S-W training is please let me know so I can contact them and find out why this criminal empowerment zone was chosen as the location.

If I am not able to talk to someone about the venue selection I plan to attend and ask the "pro-gun" politicians why they agreed to meet in a CEZ. The meeting is October 15th, from 6:30pm-9:00pm, if anyone would like to meet up and attend please let me know.
    If guns cause crime, all mine are defective- Ted Nugent

Banned
    No gun, no go. Should be gun owners SOP.

Quote Originally Posted by stainless1911 View Post
    No gun, no go. Should be gun owners SOP.
    I generally agree with this, but if it's not moved the opportunity to personally ask the candidates why they agreed to do this in a CEZ is too tempting. I want to hear their answers when they have no where to hide.

Banned
    Understandable.

While you're at it, ask them to push registration repeal right up the governors, desk.

Understandable.

While you're at it, ask them to push registration repeal right up the governors, desk.
    oh, believe me, HB5225 (and it's companion bills) and SB59 will be the focus of my questions. if they say they support SB59 they are going to have a tough time explaining why they are holding this in a CEZ

Banned
    lol, get audio if you can.

Quote Originally Posted by detroit_fan View Post
    oh, believe me, HB5225 (and it's companion bills) and SB59 will be the focus of my questions. if they say they support SB59 they are going to have a tough time explaining why they are holding this in a CEZ
    Haha I would love to hear them choke on their excuses for this one.
    The worst weapon is the human mind, its created and done things far worse than a gun can, has, or ever will. Its the human mind that tells the gun what to do and animates the inanimate object.

With all these gun control laws in place I have yet to find a single one that has saved someones life, but I can find hundreds of stories where a gun has.

I may be able to attend. What building is it being held in?
    Want to keep informed of Open Carry events in your area? Go to www.miopencarry.org/update

I carry a gun because a Police Officer is too heavy.

For Drama free gun rights discussion, see http://forums.michiganopencarry.org/

So no OC w/CPL?
    When you put the gun in the holster, put the ego in the gun safe.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by HKcarrier View Post
    So no OC w/CPL?
    Right. Sounds like they would either trespass you, or bust you on their own abuse of power.

Quote Originally Posted by Ezerharden View Post
    I may be able to attend. What building is it being held in?
    Administration Building 173 c-d

if i had more time i would have liked to organize an empty holster protest. but i doubt we can get many people on such short notice, and on a weekday.

i'm interested to hear how this goes as well... unfortunately I can't make it because of work.

This is nothing new. Doesn't the NRA conveniently hold their conventions each year at facilities where carry is prohibited (state law and/or policy) inside the building?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by detroit_fan View Post
    Administration Building 173 c-d

if i had more time I would have liked to organize an empty holster protest. but i doubt we can get many people on such short notice, and on a weekday.
    Nothing at all stopping you from wearing yours.
    Last edited by stainless1911; 10-10-2012 at 09:03 PM.

Nothing at all stopping you from wearing yours.
    i will be, you can count on that

Banned

Thumbs up

Excellent.

this is something that drives me crazy. i have not been to a TEA party in my area for a long time because of this.

but one thing i have found effective is to stand outside the property and hold up huge signs calling them bigots, or something similar
    Last edited by papa bear; 10-10-2012 at 10:28 PM.
    Luke 22:36 ; 36Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.

"guns are like a Parachute, if you don't have one when you need it, you will not need one again"
    - unknown

i you call a CHP a CCW then you are really stupid. period.

Banned
    I was asked not to carry at a tea party. I left.

Congrats on 1,000 posts.

Quote Originally Posted by papa bear View Post
    this is something that drives me crazy. i have not been to a TEA party in my area for a long time because of this.

but one thing i have found effective is to stand outside the property and hold up huge signs calling them bigots, or something similar
    if i had more time to organize that may have been an option, but i have a feeling i would look pretty silly standing there by myself monday night holding a sign on rasinville road.

Which TP was that? Our TP is one of the safest places in the city... that is until that unfortunate boating accident...

Carry on

I was asked not to carry at a tea party. I left.

Congrats on 1,000 posts.

Banned
    It was a small thing on the corner of Walton and Telegraph. I met the Sheriff there.

I will be going, empty holster as well.
    Want to keep informed of Open Carry events in your area? Go to www.miopencarry.org/update

I carry a gun because a Police Officer is too heavy.

For Drama free gun rights discussion, see http://forums.michiganopencarry.org/

If anyone else would like to meet up with Ezerharden and myself tonight we will be at the Monroe County Community College Administration Building @ approximately 6:15pm-6:20pm tonight.

Just look for the 2 guys with empty holsters on

Moderator / Administrator
    Please provide cite to authority as to why Monroe County Community College is a gun free zone. K-12 schools in Michigan are not gun free zones, so why should community colleges be gun free zones?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    Please provide cite to authority as to why Monroe County Community College is a gun free zone. K-12 schools in Michigan are not gun free zones, so why should community colleges be gun free zones?
    Public colleges/universities, which are chartered in the state constitution, have the power to set regulations that have the force of law:

•Article VIII, Section 4 of the Constitution requires the Legislature to
    appropriate moneys to maintain certain named institutions (the University of
    Michigan, Michigan State University, Wayne State University, Eastern
    Michigan University, Michigan Technological University, and Grand Valley
    State University) and other institutions of higher education established by law.

Article VIII, Section 5 of the Constitution prescribes governing boards for the
    University of Michigan (Regents), Michigan State University (Board of
    Trustees), and Wayne State University (Board of Governors), and grants to
    each board general supervision of its institution.

Article VIII, Section 6 of the Constitution specifies that other institutions of
    higher education established by law having authority to grant baccalaureate
    degrees are to be governed by a board of control with general supervision of
    the institution. The Governor appoints board members.

Article VIII, Section 7 of the Constitution provides for the establishment and
    financial support of public community and junior colleges that are supervised
    and controlled by locally-elected boards.

These universities/colleges are NOT considered "Local units of government" and they are NOT covered by Michigan's firearms pre-emption law, however, there have not been any cases dealing specifically with the issue of prohibiting firearms on campus. Now, if someone wishes to be the test case...

Also, here is an article regarding MSU's decision to allow handguns on campus and a (former) bill , which briefly touches on the issue...

http://www.ammoland.com/2009/11/16/e...#axzz29QFzqpML
    Last edited by DrTodd; 10-15-2012 at 09:58 PM.
    Giving up our liberties for safety is the one sure way to let the violent among us win.

"Though defensive violence will always be a 'sad necessity' in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men." -Saint Augustine

Disclaimer I am not a lawyer! Please do not consider anything you read from me to be legal advice.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast