Thread: Carrying long guns to/from vehicle & transport after Jan 01 2013 ?

Question Carrying long guns to/from vehicle & transport after Jan 01 2013 ?

I looked through the other AB1527 threads and didn't see much discussion about this at all...

My questions are:

Transport to/from vehicle (locking case required after Jan 01 2013?)

Transport inside of vehicle (locking case required after Jan 01 2013?)

Quote Originally Posted by DTOMSD View Post
    I looked through the other AB1527 threads and didn't see much discussion about this at all...

My questions are:

Transport to/from vehicle (locking case required after Jan 01 2013?)

Transport inside of vehicle (locking case required after Jan 01 2013?)
    Locking case isn't required, but allowed, under 1527, but it says either in a locked container or encased (not locked). But that is state law. The feds still have the gun free school zone act which requires your long gun to be locked within 1000 feet of a school.

Inside the vehicle, and they mean "inside"....the long gun can be visible and not locked. But once again, that's state law, and the federal School Zone act still requires it to be locked, as in "to your gun rack in the window" while you're within 1000 feet of a school
    Last edited by Save Our State; 10-09-2012 at 11:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Shoobee View Post
    The only thing that has changed for long guns under the new law is that you cannot walk around town with them slung over your shoulder, something I have never done anyway and would never do. You can't ride around town in your pickup truck anymore with a long gun in a gun rack, which you used to could do before, even on your way to and from the range or the hunting area, but now you cannot..
    This is incorrect. As long as the long guns are inside your vehicle, you can transport them in your gun rack, The new long gun open carry ban applies when outside of a vehicle, not inside

Activist Member
    The only thing that has changed for long guns under the new law is that you cannot walk around town with them slung over your shoulder, something I have never done anyway and would never do. You can't ride around town in your pickup truck anymore with a long gun in a gun rack, which you used to could do before, even on your way to and from the range or the hunting area, but now you cannot.
    You also can no no longer transport a firearm of any type on foot, even in a case, except to specifically authorized locations. That seems like a pretty dramatic change in the law to me. The law regarding transport of firearms changed from being generally legal with specific things being prohibited to being generally illegal with specific exceptions. In the past, you could carry a long gun on foot to practically any place and for practically any purpose not prohibited specifically by law, without owning a car and it would have been okay, as openly or discretely as you wanted to. And it could be pretty discrete, for instance, something like an unloaded CA legal Kel-Tec Sub 2000 in a laptop bag.

Yeah, there are currently some exceptions for specific purposes. It won't surprise me if you are perfectly happy with all the exceptions and if you ever found a reason that wasn't on the list of exceptions, you'll be happy too, because it must not have been that important anyway and the government always knows best.

With your previous posting history here it wouldn't surprise me if you'd be just as happy to say people who don't own a car shouldn't own a gun in the first place. You've made your anti-self defense and general anti-gun viewpoints pretty clear in the past on multiple occasions. Perhaps you've never seen a gun law that you didn't like, and maybe never will until they finally ban shooting guns as toys on the range. But when they finally get around to banning that too, you'll deserve it.
    Last edited by Felid`Maximus; 10-25-2012 at 02:00 PM.

Activist Member
    If you do indeed prefer less restrictive laws, then forgive me. Perhaps I misunderstood your perspective.

There are plenty of homies in Cali who will gladly liberate you of an unloaded long gun if they see it.

Not a good idea to plop an unloaded gun into a gun rack in your pickup.

Would be like flashing a neon sign "here it is take it."
    Your fears are making you see ghosts. Lots and lots of hunters use gun racks now, and will continue to use them. The law doesn't prohibit that.