• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Carrying long guns to/from vehicle & transport after Jan 01 2013 ?

DTOMSD

I looked through the other AB1527 threads and didn't see much discussion about this at all...

My questions are:

Transport to/from vehicle (locking case required after Jan 01 2013?)

Transport inside of vehicle (locking case required after Jan 01 2013?)

Save Our State

I looked through the other AB1527 threads and didn't see much discussion about this at all...

My questions are:

Transport to/from vehicle (locking case required after Jan 01 2013?)

Transport inside of vehicle (locking case required after Jan 01 2013?)

Locking case isn't required, but allowed, under 1527, but it says either in a locked container or encased (not locked). But that is state law. The feds still have the gun free school zone act which requires your long gun to be locked within 1000 feet of a school.

Inside the vehicle, and they mean "inside"....the long gun can be visible and not locked. But once again, that's state law, and the federal School Zone act still requires it to be locked, as in "to your gun rack in the window" while you're within 1000 feet of a school

Last edited:

Shoobee

encased

I transport my firearms from home to the range or to the hunting site trigger locked and encased.

The long guns do not need to be locked, but I trigger lock them anyway.

The handguns need to be locked, and I double lock them, with the trigger lock, and inside a locked box/case.

When I get to the range, I carry them into the range locked, during a firing session and not during the ceasefire.

When I get to my hunting location, I unlock the long guns but keep them completely unloaded, although the law allows rounds to be in the magazine but not in the chamber of a long gun in a vehicle in a hunting location.

The only thing that has changed for long guns under the new law is that you cannot walk around town with them slung over your shoulder, something I have never done anyway and would never do. You can't ride around town in your pickup truck anymore with a long gun in a gun rack, which you used to could do before, even on your way to and from the range or the hunting area, but now you cannot.

To be transported in a vehicle, handguns have always needed to be locked, and no ammo touching them or connected to them in any way, since the 1960s, when the Black Panthers did their famous armed march on Sacramento when Reagan was governor.

It makes perfect sense to trigger lock all your firearms during transport, so that in case anyone gets hold of them, they cannot use them against you. Long guns included.

The CCCP California is not an open carry state. Nor is it a shall-issue state either.

Last edited:

Save Our State

The only thing that has changed for long guns under the new law is that you cannot walk around town with them slung over your shoulder, something I have never done anyway and would never do. You can't ride around town in your pickup truck anymore with a long gun in a gun rack, which you used to could do before, even on your way to and from the range or the hunting area, but now you cannot..

This is incorrect. As long as the long guns are inside your vehicle, you can transport them in your gun rack, The new long gun open carry ban applies when outside of a vehicle, not inside

Felid`Maximus

Activist Member
The only thing that has changed for long guns under the new law is that you cannot walk around town with them slung over your shoulder, something I have never done anyway and would never do. You can't ride around town in your pickup truck anymore with a long gun in a gun rack, which you used to could do before, even on your way to and from the range or the hunting area, but now you cannot.

You also can no no longer transport a firearm of any type on foot, even in a case, except to specifically authorized locations. That seems like a pretty dramatic change in the law to me. The law regarding transport of firearms changed from being generally legal with specific things being prohibited to being generally illegal with specific exceptions. In the past, you could carry a long gun on foot to practically any place and for practically any purpose not prohibited specifically by law, without owning a car and it would have been okay, as openly or discretely as you wanted to. And it could be pretty discrete, for instance, something like an unloaded CA legal Kel-Tec Sub 2000 in a laptop bag.

Yeah, there are currently some exceptions for specific purposes. It won't surprise me if you are perfectly happy with all the exceptions and if you ever found a reason that wasn't on the list of exceptions, you'll be happy too, because it must not have been that important anyway and the government always knows best.

With your previous posting history here it wouldn't surprise me if you'd be just as happy to say people who don't own a car shouldn't own a gun in the first place. You've made your anti-self defense and general anti-gun viewpoints pretty clear in the past on multiple occasions. Perhaps you've never seen a gun law that you didn't like, and maybe never will until they finally ban shooting guns as toys on the range. But when they finally get around to banning that too, you'll deserve it.

Last edited:

Shoobee

You also can no no longer transport a firearm of any type on foot, even in a case, except to specifically authorized locations. That seems like a pretty dramatic change in the law to me. The law regarding transport of firearms changed from being generally legal with specific things being prohibited to being generally illegal with specific exceptions. I'm mentioning this to inform people, not to debate you on the merits of guns. In the past, you could carry something like an unloaded CA legal Kel-Tec Sub 2000 in a laptop bag, perfectly discretely, to practically any place, without owning a car and it would have been okay, or any other long gun as descretely or openly as you wanted. Yeah, there are currently some exceptions for specific purposes. It won't surprise me if you are perfectly happy with all the exceptions and if you ever found a reason that wasn't on the list of exceptions, you'll be happy too, because it must not have been that important anyway and the government always knows best.

With your previous posting history here it wouldn't surprise me if you'd be just as happy to say people who don't own a car shouldn't own a gun in the first place. You've made your anti-self defense and general anti-gun viewpoints pretty clear in the past on multiple occasions. Perhaps you've never seen a gun law that you didn't like, and maybe never will until they finally ban shooting guns as toys on the range. But when they finally get around to banning that too, you'll deserve it.

Laws are laws.

Anyplace you live you always need to look up the laws and follow them.

The worst places in the USA regarding gun possession are Chicago and NYC. That should be a clue as to what will be happening in the other major cities soon as well.

The best places are Vermont and Arizona. But 40% of the US population that owns guns cannot all fit in Vermont and California. Wish we could. I would head for Vermont.

You just have to go where the jobs are. And then you have to bite the bullet over their laws.

I have turned down several job in NYC. I would never want to live or work there.

Shoobee

This is incorrect. As long as the long guns are inside your vehicle, you can transport them in your gun rack, The new long gun open carry ban applies when outside of a vehicle, not inside

There are plenty of homies in Cali who will gladly liberate you of an unloaded long gun if they see it.

Not a good idea to plop an unloaded gun into a gun rack in your pickup.

Would be like flashing a neon sign "here it is take it."

Save Our State

There are plenty of homies in Cali who will gladly liberate you of an unloaded long gun if they see it.

Not a good idea to plop an unloaded gun into a gun rack in your pickup.

Would be like flashing a neon sign "here it is take it."

Your fears are making you see ghosts. Lots and lots of hunters use gun racks now, and will continue to use them. The law doesn't prohibit that.