• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

2 LEO and a CCW instructor opinions

WalkingWolf

Way to put spin on my words. Obviously avoiding a situation would be the first step. You missed the point.

I am still waiting for some of these stats though.

I asked for a cite from YOU in another thread, I am still waiting! You have been asked and yet you STILL do not relinquish the source of your ridicules assumptions. You should step up before being trollish with others.

Fallschirjmäger

I can't really speak to Tennessee laws, but case law in the State of Alabama states that OC is defensive in nature and describes CC as an "evil practice" with the implication that it (CC) is offensive in nature.

Reid vs State, 1840, Alabama Supreme Court.

From my experiences open carrying, I will attest to its deterrent value. Had some of the characters who turned and went the other way not seen that I was carrying, the likelihood is that I would have been forced into the use of deadly force.

On the business of OC making you a target for the BG; the criminal does not want to attack a target capable of defending itself.

Back then, they had a more honest, less "politically correct" way of looking at things. I think in our hearts and minds, we know the truth of it; concealment has always been looked at as stealthy, less honest, an action borne of fear. Honest men do not need to hide, nor to hide their actions.
This is America, you don't need to hide your crucifix, you don't need to hide your yarmulke, wear them openly. Kiss your girl on the lips or your guy on the cheek, I couldn't care less. Wear your favorite sports team's jersey (Unless it's that rotten Mancheater-United, that is.)

MackTheKnife

Concur

There are no tactical reasons for LAC to CC.

We also do not use deadly force just because someone is a BG.

This is an OC forum. CC only attitudes are not received well here, especially those that spread disinformation.

I agree- I can't think of anything tactical about CC. Although I can only CC here in FL, I would love to be able to OC. There has been a lot of "people OC for self defense" comments here and that's true. But OC is also a deterrent as well- for the person OC'ing and the people around him/her.

davidmcbeth

Banned
Carrying doesn't make people nervous ... after all, I cannot control someone's emotions.

Its most likely that government rhetoric has more of an effect on people's emotions than my actions.

And the gov't wants to be the only ones who can carry. So the more evil it makes people who carry seem to be the more people may produce their own feelings of fear.

In the IL Moore v. Madigan case, the state used words like "terrified" just to try to scare the judge...the judge bought none of the fear-mongering.

Why don't you hear state employees talking repeatedly on the positive and safety aspects of open/conceal carry? Because they don't want us to carry and they want people to feel afraid (like the goc't can protect you, HA!).

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
http://www.timesdispatch.com/news/t...cle_970e24e7-dd5d-57e7-8fb8-a64a0a2b26ba.html

granted it is one story after a very short search.....but i dont want to be that one. Of course open carry can often get you to your gun faster than being obstructed by clothing. I prefer concealed carry myself because i do not want the extra attention but i fully respect open carry.

That story has been discussed many times on this site. I'm not sure what point you are making with it. Among other lessons to be learned, the carrier chased after the man that took his gun. He'd be alive had he not done that.

Not wanting the attention is the reason I also conceal on occasion. That is a very valid reason for it. But depending on where you are going; many people have been surprised how little attention, or how much positive attention, it actually produces.

Whenever possible, I'd rather have the tactical advantage of being left alone.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
http://www.timesdispatch.com/news/t...cle_970e24e7-dd5d-57e7-8fb8-a64a0a2b26ba.html

granted it is one story after a very short search.....but i dont want to be that one. Of course open carry can often get you to your gun faster than being obstructed by clothing. I prefer concealed carry myself because i do not want the extra attention but i fully respect open carry.

The story is erronious - contains flaws.

The BG's followed him into the store where a pushing/shoving match occurred. When the 1st time OCer went to the floor his gun fell out of his holster (no retention). The perp picked up the gun and ran away only to be chased by the victim. BG shot him in the chest.

When a true gun snatch occurs, it will need to be compared to the millions of OC events where nothing happened to get a value/ratio that we can consider. I suggest that the resultant numerical value will be something like .00001% or less - not significantly relevant. LEO and military are excluded from the search/exercise. Also limited to this country and in modern times.

Have looked for years and found nothing confirmable with a cite that passed the tests.

The other thing and it's a big one: CC makes one look like a typical unarmed potential victim. Any reaction to a direct threat will be way behind the curve. There is no deterrent effect in a hidden gun. Still I respect your personal choice.

Last edited:

Madmankrew

I have an opinion too, and it is worth more than theirs to me because it is mine. What they like or dislike is irrelevant, the law is the law.

Hey I don’t like bananas but you do not see me going around telling people how and where they can eat or transport one.

+1 ;)

xdsc9

i personally could care less what carry type you choose, that why its your choice...

Now with the obvious stated I firmly agree with the bulk of the community on here, and choose to carry openly when i can just due to the deterrence factor of it. My biggest problem is getting my wife convinced that that's the correct choice. She seem to stand on the , don't scare people, side of things. I feel that scared or not its a experience they can and need to learn from. The lesson learned here is their are law abiding citizens who responsibly and openly carry guns! And that these citizens can and more than likely will protect themselves and anyone around them from harm.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
i personally could care less what carry type you choose, that why its your choice...

Now with the obvious stated I firmly agree with the bulk of the community on here, and choose to carry openly when i can just due to the deterrence factor of it. My biggest problem is getting my wife convinced that that's the correct choice. She seem to stand on the , don't scare people, side of things. I feel that scared or not its a experience they can and need to learn from. The lesson learned here is their are law abiding citizens who responsibly and openly carry guns! And that these citizens can and more than likely will protect themselves and anyone around them from harm.
It has always been about how a person acts - their personal conduct.

OC is the peak of "Truth in Advertising" - what you see is what you get :lol:

Last edited:

Kingfish

She seem to stand on the , don't scare people, side of things. I feel that scared or not its a experience they can and need to learn from.
Are people actually scared or is that just the fear? Challenge her to go into a store 2 minutes ahead of you and you each grab a shopping cart. Cut the grocery list in half and then have her keep an eyeball on you and note anyone acting "fearful".

I proposed this to a woman I was seeing and while she declined this extreme, she actually started to look for reactions...She saw very few and changed her position (that she was fine with it, she did not want all the "attention").

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
The OP first posted almost 1 yr ago and has not posted since ... I think the thread should be locked or something ...

I think it is a perfectly valid thread. Is the conversation somehow invalid?
Just searched the rules - can't find any reference to maximum time that an OP can be AWOL before a thread is locked.

However, I can offer something.

xdsc9

Are people actually scared or is that just the fear? Challenge her to go into a store 2 minutes ahead of you and you each grab a shopping cart. Cut the grocery list in half and then have her keep an eyeball on you and note anyone acting "fearful".

I proposed this to a woman I was seeing and while she declined this extreme, she actually started to look for reactions...She saw very few and changed her position (that she was fine with it, she did not want all the "attention").

Thanks for the advice and i will most definitely try this and like you stated even if she says no she will at least take note of others and may come around to the idea
personally i have i have only had one person in the years i have carried that has even given me a second look, (side note she did seem to be genuinely scared of the situation and wouldn't quit staring at me and my wife as we where trying to eat supper at a local restaurant)

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
Well, so far in my discussions with 2 Nashville Metro LEO's and a firearms instructor the consensus among them is " We don't like open carry". All the usual reasons but especially the "it makes people nervous". That hasn't been my experience at all so it's strange to hear the statements. I would think there would be more support but it doesn't bother me or change my mind. I'll carry how I want. Oh well.....

See the comments below about the police.

As for the "instructors", keep in mind that they are part of an entrenched industry (the concealed carry training industry), one which has a massive covert subsidy in the form of a mandate – which mandate generally does not apply to OC. They have every financial reason under the sun to convince themselves that OC is bad.

On top of that, in my experience a great many (most?) of them aren't intelligent enough to even be aware of their own bias.

It should be against the law for an on-duty LEO to give an opinion.

lol, I agree. :)

Cops tend to live in a somewhat insular world, they have cop friends, their 'cops only' forums or sub-forums on some message boards, and cop bars. They tend to work with (well, arrest is a more descriptive word) people who are usually dangerous and often armed. When the pack gets together and talks about 'how work was' it will tend to reinforce the actions of the pack members, that's just how life works; you support your own.

Yup. The opinions of police who oppose lawful carry in any form are worthless.

I CC for tactical reasons. I don't want the bad guy to know ahead of time to plan on me the victim having a gun - I imagine they'll come at me a lot harder if they know I'm carrying. I know that's what I would do. I also wouldn't want to be viewed by the bad guy as the one thing in his way while he's trying to commit a crime. I don't want a bad guy to know I'm carrying until he feels bullets in his chest.

The general public doesn't know what I have in my pockets, so why do they need to see my carry weapon. And cops don't need to know either - it's none of their damn business, and I have no interest in making it their business via "guy with a gun" calls on me. I don't have time for dumb **** like that.

lol. Gecko45?

Gone is the real world, where criminals are opportunists looking for an easy buck. Instead, we have a fantasy world, where every thief is a dedicated master criminal, who will shoot you in the back with a .338 Lapua from cover, because he knows you're armed.

:lol:

Last edited:

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
But regardless of stats, I really don't want to gamble with my life and hope the stats are on my side. This isn't a game. You lose, you die.

Then why do you engage in the highly un-tactical practice of CC?

There was a video just the other day of a store clerk, OC, who was forced to defend himself with his off-hand occupied, necessitating a fast, one-handed draw. He was fortunate that his assailant wasn't one of those dedicated master criminals, but if his assailant had been prepared to shoot, and he'd been CC, he'd be dead.

Last edited:

marrandy

So I'm wading through the top listed threads...and here we go.

ScottE: we get it. You don't believe in Open Carry.

So why are you wasting your time on the 'Open Carry Forum'.

I'm sure there are concealed carry and other suitable forums around.

Dirk platinum

when i go shopping in walmart some people stare at my gun .IT makes no sense the same people dont stare at cops . THe ammount of brainwashing so as to elive that cops are magick and regular citizens ere evil is abbhorrent .

Last edited: