• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

traveling from Kentucky to Michigan with no CCW

eagleye

Wondering if anyone knows the law on crossing state lines while having my firearm(COLT 1911) in my possesion. Any info i can get on this would be greatly appreciated. I must make the trip and dont want to leave my family /myself unprotected.

THANKS for any feedback

09jisaac

You can (usually) legally transport a firearm across state lines if:

-You can legally possess said firearm in both states
and
-It is unloaded and secured in a locked container

The law gets a little fuzzy when you stop somewhere though. If at all possible don't get a hotel/motel room in an anti state.

Check on Michigan's firearm laws and the other state(s) you will be passing thru. I think (don't trust my thoughts) that Michigan, Ohio and Indiana are fairly firearm friendly. And I know that Illinois's laws reflect Chicago (not firearm friendly).

KYGlockster

Activist Member
You can (usually) legally transport a firearm across state lines if:

-You can legally possess said firearm in both states
and
-It is unloaded and secured in a locked container

The law gets a little fuzzy when you stop somewhere though. If at all possible don't get a hotel/motel room in an anti state.

Check on Michigan's firearm laws and the other state(s) you will be passing thru. I think (don't trust my thoughts) that Michigan, Ohio and Indiana are fairly firearm friendly. And I know that Illinois's laws reflect Chicago (not firearm friendly).

While in Kentucky you can carry it on your side loaded while in your vehicle or out and about. You cannot carry in your vehicle unless it is unloaded and encased and out of the passenger compartment while in Ohio, Illinois, Michigan, and Indiana I know, and it is the same in Wisconsin I believe. You can open carry in Ohio once you exit your vehicle, but I would learn Ohio law; I do know "no firearm" signs have the force of law in Ohio, and in Indiana you can't carry without a license, and in Illinois you can't carry at all. I believe open carry is allowed in Michigan under certain circumstances but I am not certain what they are or what Michigan law says on the subject. I would ask in the Michigan sub-forum questions concerning Michigan open carry law.

Edit: I don't know why I quoted your post Isaac. I meant to quote the OP. Sorry 'bout that!

Last edited:

Big Gay Al

Michigan Moderator
Unless you have a carry permit/license from your home state, don't even THINK of bringing a pistol here, to Michigan. We have a pistol registration law (which totally sucks), and the only way an out of state person can avoid violating it is if they have a license to carry or possess firearms. Illinois' FOID fulfills that requirement, for people from Illinois. Being from Kentucky, you'd need a carry license.

28.422 subsection 8(8) An individual who is not a resident of this state is not required to obtain a license under this section if all of the following conditions apply:

(a) The individual is licensed in his or her state of residence to purchase, carry, or transport a pistol.

(b) The individual is in possession of the license described in subdivision (a).

(c) The individual is the owner of the pistol he or she possesses, carries, or transports.

(d) The individual possesses the pistol for a lawful purpose as that term is defined in section 231a of the Michigan penal code, 1931 PA 328, MCL 750.231a.

(e) The individual is in this state for a period of 180 days or less and does not intend to establish residency in this state.

Last edited:

DrakeZ07

Unless you have a carry permit/license from your home state, don't even THINK of bringing a pistol here, to Michigan. We have a pistol registration law (which totally sucks), and the only way an out of state person can avoid violating it is if they have a license to carry or possess firearms. Illinois' FOID fulfills that requirement, for people from Illinois. Being from Kentucky, you'd need a carry license.

28.422 subsection 8(8) An individual who is not a resident of this state is not required to obtain a license under this section if all of the following conditions apply:

(a) The individual is licensed in his or her state of residence to purchase, carry, or transport a pistol.

(b) The individual is in possession of the license described in subdivision (a).

(c) The individual is the owner of the pistol he or she possesses, carries, or transports.

(d) The individual possesses the pistol for a lawful purpose as that term is defined in section 231a of the Michigan penal code, 1931 PA 328, MCL 750.231a.

(e) The individual is in this state for a period of 180 days or less and does not intend to establish residency in this state.

What if the person is from Kentucky, where a person does not need, nor is required, to hold, or have any type of permit/license to carry [openly, or concealed on their property], purchase, or transport, a pistol? and Isn't self-defense a lawful purpose as is? Seems kinda pointless to have that written, when I'm sure Kentucky isn't the only state that doesnt need a license to do the things in subsection A, and D.

O.P.; Just stay in KY, We've got everything Michigan has, and more.. well, except Cold, heavy snow, and people who are obsessed with cheese... or is that Wisconsin?

Big Gay Al

Michigan Moderator
What if the person is from Kentucky, where a person does not need, nor is required, to hold, or have any type of permit/license to carry [openly, or concealed on their property], purchase, or transport, a pistol? and Isn't self-defense a lawful purpose as is? Seems kinda pointless to have that written, when I'm sure Kentucky isn't the only state that doesnt need a license to do the things in subsection A, and D.

O.P.; Just stay in KY, We've got everything Michigan has, and more.. well, except Cold, heavy snow, and people who are obsessed with cheese... or is that Wisconsin?
Unfortunately, you have to have a permit/license from your home state in order to bring your pistol into Michigan for SD and/or OC purposes. I know it's stupid, but that's the way it is....currently. We're trying to get rid of the registration law, and if we do, then you'd be able to bring your pistol here without any problems. As long as you follow Michigan law that is.

And yes, it's Wisconsin that's obsessed with cheese. :)