Thread: Cops tase man for having seizure

Cops tase man for having seizure

http://rt.com/usa/news/man-seizure-police-sheeley-049/

Do these excessive force instances run in spurts? Or, is it that the media is not reporting them like they used to? If the alleged facts are true there is gunna be a big payout for the victim. I expect the officers to have little if any consequences applied to them.
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

"Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

I bet they were hollering "Stop Resisting" as the man flailed helplessly from his seizure.

Morons. (Edited to add, this is not an attack on the police, it is in reference to the particular ones that tased a seizure victim)
    Last edited by rscottie; 10-12-2012 at 10:13 PM. Reason: clarity

Ausint, MN, not Texas

WTF????

How does that go down? Were they trying to taze the devil out of him or something. And the paramedics gave him the wrong medicine too?

Here's the cops side. They're still stupid but it sounds like he was being combative.

http://www.twincities.com/localnews/...taser-incident
    Last edited by sharkey; 10-15-2012 at 01:31 AM. Reason: spelling

Allegedly combative before being cuffed, tazed after being cuffed......just saying.
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

"Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

If you have ever seen a true seizure, it is violent. I have seen patients flail hard enough to break their own bones. They can bite their own tongue severely. They make noises that sound very much like growls and rage.

If you were trying to put handcuffs on someone having such a seizure, you would probably get hit.

If you are hollering "Stop Resisting", you would probably be angered that they did not respond to your commands.

So, in the officers minds, they were fully justified in applying a bit of electric shock compliance and will write their reports up as such.

Police Officers need to be better trained that people are innocent until proven guilty. That person they are arresting is not guilty of anything at the moment of arrest.

Police Officers need to be better trained on handling "non compliance", regardless of the reason.

And lastly, they need to be able to recognize medical conditions including seizures, diabetic shock behaviors, etc. etc.

Cops tase man for having seizure

I have had 2 seizures and let me tell you they are not fun. I was out during them and when I woke one time I had shoved the coffee table out of the way which was pretty heavy. Also but the hell out of my tongue and lips. My wife was panicked. I have an aunt that has them and they are violent events that all you can do is move items out of the way so they don't get broken.

Quote Originally Posted by rscottie View Post
    If you have ever seen a true seizure, it is violent. I have seen patients flail hard enough to break their own bones. They can bite their own tongue severely. They make noises that sound very much like growls and rage.

If you were trying to put handcuffs on someone having such a seizure, you would probably get hit.

If you are hollering "Stop Resisting", you would probably be angered that they did not respond to your commands.

So, in the officers minds, they were fully justified in applying a bit of electric shock compliance and will write their reports up as such.

Police Officers need to be better trained that people are innocent until proven guilty. That person they are arresting is not guilty of anything at the moment of arrest.

Police Officers need to be better trained on handling "non compliance", regardless of the reason.

And lastly, they need to be able to recognize medical conditions including seizures, diabetic shock behaviors, etc. etc.
    Even after the perp....uh, alleged perp, is cuffed? Somehow I think that that will be a hard row to hoe. But, at least they did not bust a cap or six into the non-compliant alleged perp while they feared for their life.

Banned
    That'll teach him ! Bzzzzzzat! Sad.

Quote Originally Posted by OC for ME View Post
    Even after the perp....uh, alleged perp, is cuffed? Somehow I think that that will be a hard row to hoe. But, at least they did not bust a cap or six into the non-compliant alleged perp while they feared for their life.
    I was just saying that their report will be that he was resisting, required beating and tasing to get compliance.

This will get swept under the rug and no one will seek to educate the officers on special medical conditions.

Heck, in Texas you can be a crazy, legless man in a wheelchair and if you wave an ink pen at the officers, they will shoot you!