• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Cops tase man for having seizure

rscottie

I bet they were hollering "Stop Resisting" as the man flailed helplessly from his seizure.

Morons. (Edited to add, this is not an attack on the police, it is in reference to the particular ones that tased a seizure victim)

Last edited:

sharkey

Ausint, MN, not Texas

WTF????

How does that go down? Were they trying to taze the devil out of him or something. And the paramedics gave him the wrong medicine too?

rscottie

If you have ever seen a true seizure, it is violent. I have seen patients flail hard enough to break their own bones. They can bite their own tongue severely. They make noises that sound very much like growls and rage.

If you were trying to put handcuffs on someone having such a seizure, you would probably get hit.

If you are hollering "Stop Resisting", you would probably be angered that they did not respond to your commands.

So, in the officers minds, they were fully justified in applying a bit of electric shock compliance and will write their reports up as such.

Police Officers need to be better trained that people are innocent until proven guilty. That person they are arresting is not guilty of anything at the moment of arrest.

Police Officers need to be better trained on handling "non compliance", regardless of the reason.

And lastly, they need to be able to recognize medical conditions including seizures, diabetic shock behaviors, etc. etc.

Uber_Olafsun

I have had 2 seizures and let me tell you they are not fun. I was out during them and when I woke one time I had shoved the coffee table out of the way which was pretty heavy. Also but the hell out of my tongue and lips. My wife was panicked. I have an aunt that has them and they are violent events that all you can do is move items out of the way so they don't get broken.

OC for ME

If you have ever seen a true seizure, it is violent. I have seen patients flail hard enough to break their own bones. They can bite their own tongue severely. They make noises that sound very much like growls and rage.

If you were trying to put handcuffs on someone having such a seizure, you would probably get hit.

If you are hollering "Stop Resisting", you would probably be angered that they did not respond to your commands.

So, in the officers minds, they were fully justified in applying a bit of electric shock compliance and will write their reports up as such.

Police Officers need to be better trained that people are innocent until proven guilty. That person they are arresting is not guilty of anything at the moment of arrest.

Police Officers need to be better trained on handling "non compliance", regardless of the reason.

And lastly, they need to be able to recognize medical conditions including seizures, diabetic shock behaviors, etc. etc.
Even after the perp....uh, alleged perp, is cuffed? Somehow I think that that will be a hard row to hoe. But, at least they did not bust a cap or six into the non-compliant alleged perp while they feared for their life.

rscottie

Even after the perp....uh, alleged perp, is cuffed? Somehow I think that that will be a hard row to hoe. But, at least they did not bust a cap or six into the non-compliant alleged perp while they feared for their life.

I was just saying that their report will be that he was resisting, required beating and tasing to get compliance.

This will get swept under the rug and no one will seek to educate the officers on special medical conditions.

Heck, in Texas you can be a crazy, legless man in a wheelchair and if you wave an ink pen at the officers, they will shoot you!