Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: College student sues LAPD for brutal Taser beat down

College student sues LAPD for brutal Taser beat down

http://rt.com/usa/news/student-lapd-oghogho-burton-683/

Once the police report was finished and the district attorney was made aware of the surveillance footage, Mr. Burton says the charges were dropped. Probably, the attorney adds, because the DA realized “this is a joke.”
    Really.

In the official police report, Officer Jenkins attempts to legitimize each individual blow he unleashed on Oghogho, although Mr. Burton says that the documentation was not completed until after the officer was provided with a copy of the video.
    DOH!

So, is this a case of fitting the report to the evidence or a honest misunderstanding.
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

"Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

I spent 5 minutes just trying to pronounce his name.

It's always suspicious when an unarmed person gets a severe beatdown, and doubly so when there's a video that doesn't support the force used. LAPD is getting quite the reputation, but what to expect from an organization that openly supports illegals? Corruption seldom limits to a stated goal or role.
    Good thing this guy wasn't armed too, or this might have went much worse. Unfortunate to have to fear that too

“And I’m…and it’s the whole time they’re doin’ it, the whole time they’re doin’ it, I hear one officer keep punching me in my face, he’s telling me, ‘stop resisting arrest, stop resisting arrest’ and all I could say to myself was, ‘I’m not resisting.’”
    This bothers me. Greatly.
    I have this nagging suspicion that the phrase is being used to falsely "document" an officer's actions. He's "playing for the audience" and thinking 'anyone who hears this will hear me telling the subject that he's resisting, they'll believe that any actions I take must therefore be justified.'

Quote Originally Posted by Fallschirmjäger
    Quote Originally Posted by latest victim
    “And I’m…and it’s the whole time they’re doin’ it, the whole time they’re doin’ it, I hear one officer keep punching me in my face, he’s telling me, ‘stop resisting arrest, stop resisting arrest’ and all I could say to myself was, ‘I’m not resisting.’”
    This bothers me. Greatly.
    I have this nagging suspicion that the phrase is being used to falsely "document" an officer's actions. He's "playing for the audience" and thinking 'anyone who hears this will hear me telling the subject that he's resisting, they'll believe that any actions I take must therefore be justified.'
    I'm not trying to be snide here, but... you're just now figuring that out?
    I think it's something they're taught in cop school, for just that reason.
    Luckily, there are videos which show that the force was excessive & the victim was not resisting (the beating, the illegal arrest, whatever), and there are good civil rights lawyers who get the attention of the officers & departments by winning large damage suits for their clients.

Well, it's not really 'confirmed' by any substantiated documentation, so I don't want to denigrate an entire class of people based upon an unnumbered but quite visible population sample.

I am not seeing the connection with the original post and the topic of open carry.

While there has been a significant slow down of activity in California, this is no reason to dump irrelevant content on the forum.
    New to OPEN CARRY in California? Click and read this first...

NA MALE SUBJ ON FOOT, LS NB 3 AGO HAD A HOLSTERED HANDGUN ON HIS RIGHT HIP. WAS NOT BRANDISHING THE WEAPON, BUT RP FOUND SUSPICIOUS.
    CL SUBJ IN COMPLIANCE WITH LAW

Support the 2A in California - Shop Amazon for any item and up to 15% of all purchases go back to the Calguns Foundation. Enter through either of the following links
    www.calgunsfoundation.org/amazon
    www.shop42a.com

Quote Originally Posted by ConditionThree View Post
    I am not seeing the connection with the original post and the topic of open carry.

While there has been a significant slow down of activity in California, this is no reason to dump irrelevant content on the forum.
    Idle hands are the graffitiists workshop

The LAPD thinks otherwise, though, and stands by the officers’ actions...

Well, there's a surprise. One of the greatest collection of vermin in the country stands by the actions of its cockroaches...
    "For any man who sheds his blood with me this day shall be my brother...And gentlemen now abed shall think themselves accursed, they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap whilst any speaks who fought with us on Crispin's day." Henry V

Founder's Club Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ca Patriot View Post
    LAPD is maybe the biggest criminal enterprise in America today.

Charlie Beck, the gang leader, decided recently to stop handing over illegal aliens arrested for crimes or even convicted of crimes.
    Certainly they make Al Capone and the New Jersey Mob look like small potatoes.

But, they are all far outpaced by the fedgov.

Just for a chilling little example, yesterday's Washington Times ran an article in the A section about a Pentagon report to Congress last July. The report to Congress was a Pentagon evaluation of whether the Chinese could/would wage financial war on the US by dumping some of the US Treasury bonds held by China.

Now, lets completely ignore for just for a moment the complete absurdity of the Pentagon evaluating international finance. We'll come back to it.

The reason China dumping Treasury bonds could be a huge problem for the US has to do with supply and demand. If a large number of Treasury bonds were to suddenly flood the world's bond markets, it would be harder for the US to sell new bonds at the same time, thus it would be harder for the US government to continue operating at the huge deficits it has been. Also, the fedgov would have to offer a more attractive interest rate in order to sell the bonds. There is a little catch here. The interest rate on a bond is set by how far below face value it is sold. For example, if a bond has a face value of $100 and is sold for $93, the interest rate would be 7%. In a flooded market, lets say buyers can be found only for 10-12%. Meaning, the bond issuer now only receives $90 - $88 for each bond it sells. Now, in order to raise $100M, the fedgov has to sell even more bonds in order to raise the same amount of money--in a market that is already flooded. Without too much trouble, you can reach a tipping point where interest rates keep rising and the amount of money being raised keeps falling to where the fedgov cannot keep up with it by selling more bonds. Suddenly, the deficit spending comes to a crashing halt unless massive amounts of money are printed in order to redeem/buy back bonds from the market. And, the bond holders are no dumbies, they know the massive amounts of newly printed money is worth a lot less, so they buy fewer bonds. Deficit spending stops. Things start grinding to a halt. And massive price inflation results from massive money printing.

Thus the worries about financial war.

There is no possible interpretation of the general welfare clause and the necessary and proper clause that will justify the massive debt (bonds) and deficit spending that has been perpetrated for decades by the fedgov. It is clearly criminal beyond belief. And, now these criminals' actions have reached a point where their warrior wing is discussing the possibility of receiving financial war from the criminal class that rules China. According the Times article, the Pentagon report to congress included information that certain Chinese generals were recommending financial war to teach the US not to meddle with China's policies toward Taiwan. Remember the Secretary of Defense's comments some months ago about the debt being the top national security concern?

The criminals running China can wreck our economy without firing a shot. But, only because our criminals have gotten away with putting us in this position.
    Last edited by Citizen; 10-12-2012 at 02:17 PM.
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

Founder's Club Member
    I recently saw a BBC documentary on HMS Victory, Nelson's flagship at the Battle of Trafalgar in (1803?) Part of the documentary was on shipboard discipline. Flogging. Pain compliance.

From too many videos, tasers are used not just to get a person under control, but for pain compliance. Meaning, I've seen too many videos where the cops already had physical control of the squirming guy, and they tasered him repeatedly to make him stop squirming, rather than just wrestle him into cuffs.

We need to start calling tasers what they really are: electronic whips. Just because the manufacturer dreamed up a nicer sounding name, and just because police use a nicer sounding name, does not mean the rest of us have to use it.
    Last edited by Citizen; 10-12-2012 at 02:20 PM.
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

It seems that the OCDO California forum has degenerated into something less valuable that Calguns.net's offtopic message board. (At least there, they have funny pictures that make you laugh or has somewhat entertaining content.)

Can someone at least try to think of something relevant to the OP that might have a tangent with open carry?

Otherwise,

/end thread.

NA MALE SUBJ ON FOOT, LS NB 3 AGO HAD A HOLSTERED HANDGUN ON HIS RIGHT HIP. WAS NOT BRANDISHING THE WEAPON, BUT RP FOUND SUSPICIOUS.

Support the 2A in California - Shop Amazon for any item and up to 15% of all purchases go back to the Calguns Foundation. Enter through either of the following links
    www.shop42a.com

Founder's Club Member
    It seems that the OCDO California forum has degenerated into something less valuable that Calguns.net's offtopic message board. (At least there, they have funny pictures that make you laugh or has somewhat entertaining content.)

Can someone at least try to think of something relevant to the OP that might have a tangent with open carry?

Otherwise,

/end thread.
    Would an OCer be justified in stepping in to defend the victim of the police assault? The defense-of-others prong of self-defense.

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen View Post
    Would an OCer be justified in stepping in to defend the victim of the police assault? The defense-of-others prong of self-defense.
    God no!

If you had the stones to try and intervene on the police using excessive force, your only hope of surviving it would be pleading with them to stop. Otherwise, it would be one open-carrier against a bunch of trained killers. You'd get 'em to stop their other beat down, but only because you'd become a more justifiable target

Otherwise,

/end thread.

Oh c'mon now....it hasn't gotten that bad here yet.

Founder's Club Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Save Our State View Post
    God no!

If you had the stones to try and intervene on the police using excessive force, your only hope of surviving it would be pleading with them to stop. Otherwise, it would be one open-carrier against a bunch of trained killers. You'd get 'em to stop their other beat down, but only because you'd become a more justifiable target

So, what are you telling me? That in addition to gun, magazines, holster, tactical knife, flashlight, and voice-recorder, now I gotta carry a spare box of donuts to lure them away?

Founder's Club Member
    well, since open carry is now essentially completly illegal in california its hard to talk about open carry.

maybe we could all sit around and wax nostalgic about days past ?
    I've waxed my back and chest before. Where is my nostalgic? Or, do I maybe not want to know?

well, since open carry is now essentially completly illegal in california its hard to talk about open carry.

Please cite the applicable code that supports your assertion that open carry is 'essentially, completely illegal in California'.

If you are unable or unwilling to honestly support your assertion, I would kindly ask you to slither back to the forum that would be appropriate for your current home state.
    Last edited by ConditionThree; 10-13-2012 at 01:06 AM.

www.shop42a.com

Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by OC for ME View Post
    http://rt.com/usa/news/student-lapd-oghogho-burton-683/

Really.

DOH!

So, is this a case of fitting the report to the evidence or a honest misunderstanding.
    We have discovered this is common practice in my town in Washington too. Especially against OC'ers.

In many instances the report isn't filed until you ask for one, and then you can see where officers sat around a table to be on the same page, and inserted after the fact assertions to counter what they believe will be the charge against them.
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

oh geez, not this again.
    Since you haven't cited the code or ordinance 'banning' open carry in California, I think it is evident that your assertion is not supported by fact. Furthermore, I think this proves that your intent here isnt to be helpful or informative, but to troll the California forum so you can mock or frustrate participants who have chosen to stay here, from the safety of your easy liberty in a 'free state'.

www.shop42a.com

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen View Post
    So, what are you telling me? That in addition to gun, magazines, holster, tactical knife, flashlight, and voice-recorder, now I gotta carry a spare box of donuts to lure them away?
    If you're bold enough to intervene in that type of situation, lose the gun, mags and holster, and put all your eggs in the donut basket. If nothing else, it has never been tried before

Since you haven't cited the code or ordinance 'banning' open carry in California, I think it is evident that your assertion is not supported by fact. Furthermore, I think this proves that your intent here isnt to be helpful or informative, but to troll the California forum so you can mock or frustrate participants who have chosen to stay here, from the safety of your easy liberty in a 'free state'.
    +1

A bit premature. The law on long guns hasn't taken effect, and law on handguns still allows carry under a few exemptions. This is one of the things that so annoys me about people on the verge of becoming sheeple. They do the prohibitionists desires work for them. The law says this, but it means that. In this case, you're furthering the mistaken premise that the law on long guns has already taken effect, and that it means more than it says.

why would open carry participants in california be frustrated ? open carry is in its heyday and everyone is doing it. these are the glory days my friend, these are the glory days !!!

btw - i love your videos of you open carrying, they are great
    You have only managed to prove that what I said is true.

www.shop42a.com

keep thinking that brother, keep thinking that
    Perhaps you should consider taking an opinion poll on the topic.

www.shop42a.com

do you have a CCW ?
    If you read the forum, you would already know whether or not I am licensed to carry. It is however, irrelevant to the subject as to whether or not readers of this forum believe you are a troll, gloating about freedom outside the Golden State.

www.shop42a.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast