• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

College student sues LAPD for brutal Taser beat down

OC for ME

http://rt.com/usa/news/student-lapd-oghogho-burton-683/

Once the police report was finished and the district attorney was made aware of the surveillance footage, Mr. Burton says the charges were dropped. Probably, the attorney adds, because the DA realized “this is a joke.”
Really.

In the official police report, Officer Jenkins attempts to legitimize each individual blow he unleashed on Oghogho, although Mr. Burton says that the documentation was not completed until after the officer was provided with a copy of the video.
DOH!

So, is this a case of fitting the report to the evidence or a honest misunderstanding.

Save Our State

I spent 5 minutes just trying to pronounce his name.

It's always suspicious when an unarmed person gets a severe beatdown, and doubly so when there's a video that doesn't support the force used. LAPD is getting quite the reputation, but what to expect from an organization that openly supports illegals? Corruption seldom limits to a stated goal or role.
Good thing this guy wasn't armed too, or this might have went much worse. Unfortunate to have to fear that too

Fallschirjmäger

“And I’m…and it’s the whole time they’re doin’ it, the whole time they’re doin’ it, I hear one officer keep punching me in my face, he’s telling me, ‘stop resisting arrest, stop resisting arrest’ and all I could say to myself was, ‘I’m not resisting.’”
This bothers me. Greatly.
I have this nagging suspicion that the phrase is being used to falsely "document" an officer's actions. He's "playing for the audience" and thinking 'anyone who hears this will hear me telling the subject that he's resisting, they'll believe that any actions I take must therefore be justified.'

Ca Patriot

LAPD is maybe the biggest criminal enterprise in America today.

Charlie Beck, the gang leader, decided recently to stop handing over illegal aliens arrested for crimes or even convicted of crimes.

MKEgal

Fallschirmjäger said:
latest victim said:
“And I’m…and it’s the whole time they’re doin’ it, the whole time they’re doin’ it, I hear one officer keep punching me in my face, he’s telling me, ‘stop resisting arrest, stop resisting arrest’ and all I could say to myself was, ‘I’m not resisting.’”
This bothers me. Greatly.
I have this nagging suspicion that the phrase is being used to falsely "document" an officer's actions. He's "playing for the audience" and thinking 'anyone who hears this will hear me telling the subject that he's resisting, they'll believe that any actions I take must therefore be justified.'
I'm not trying to be snide here, but... you're just now figuring that out?
I think it's something they're taught in cop school, for just that reason.
Luckily, there are videos which show that the force was excessive & the victim was not resisting (the beating, the illegal arrest, whatever), and there are good civil rights lawyers who get the attention of the officers & departments by winning large damage suits for their clients.

Fallschirjmäger

Well, it's not really 'confirmed' by any substantiated documentation, so I don't want to denigrate an entire class of people based upon an unnumbered but quite visible population sample.

ConditionThree

State Pioneer
I am not seeing the connection with the original post and the topic of open carry.

While there has been a significant slow down of activity in California, this is no reason to dump irrelevant content on the forum.

Gunslinger

The LAPD thinks otherwise, though, and stands by the officers’ actions...

Well, there's a surprise. One of the greatest collection of vermin in the country stands by the actions of its cockroaches...

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
LAPD is maybe the biggest criminal enterprise in America today.

Charlie Beck, the gang leader, decided recently to stop handing over illegal aliens arrested for crimes or even convicted of crimes.

Certainly they make Al Capone and the New Jersey Mob look like small potatoes.

But, they are all far outpaced by the fedgov.

Just for a chilling little example, yesterday's Washington Times ran an article in the A section about a Pentagon report to Congress last July. The report to Congress was a Pentagon evaluation of whether the Chinese could/would wage financial war on the US by dumping some of the US Treasury bonds held by China.

Now, lets completely ignore for just for a moment the complete absurdity of the Pentagon evaluating international finance. We'll come back to it.

The reason China dumping Treasury bonds could be a huge problem for the US has to do with supply and demand. If a large number of Treasury bonds were to suddenly flood the world's bond markets, it would be harder for the US to sell new bonds at the same time, thus it would be harder for the US government to continue operating at the huge deficits it has been. Also, the fedgov would have to offer a more attractive interest rate in order to sell the bonds. There is a little catch here. The interest rate on a bond is set by how far below face value it is sold. For example, if a bond has a face value of $100 and is sold for $93, the interest rate would be 7%. In a flooded market, lets say buyers can be found only for 10-12%. Meaning, the bond issuer now only receives $90 - $88 for each bond it sells. Now, in order to raise $100M, the fedgov has to sell even more bonds in order to raise the same amount of money--in a market that is already flooded. Without too much trouble, you can reach a tipping point where interest rates keep rising and the amount of money being raised keeps falling to where the fedgov cannot keep up with it by selling more bonds. Suddenly, the deficit spending comes to a crashing halt unless massive amounts of money are printed in order to redeem/buy back bonds from the market. And, the bond holders are no dumbies, they know the massive amounts of newly printed money is worth a lot less, so they buy fewer bonds. Deficit spending stops. Things start grinding to a halt. And massive price inflation results from massive money printing.

Thus the worries about financial war.

There is no possible interpretation of the general welfare clause and the necessary and proper clause that will justify the massive debt (bonds) and deficit spending that has been perpetrated for decades by the fedgov. It is clearly criminal beyond belief. And, now these criminals' actions have reached a point where their warrior wing is discussing the possibility of receiving financial war from the criminal class that rules China. According the Times article, the Pentagon report to congress included information that certain Chinese generals were recommending financial war to teach the US not to meddle with China's policies toward Taiwan. Remember the Secretary of Defense's comments some months ago about the debt being the top national security concern?

The criminals running China can wreck our economy without firing a shot. But, only because our criminals have gotten away with putting us in this position.

Last edited:

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
I recently saw a BBC documentary on HMS Victory, Nelson's flagship at the Battle of Trafalgar in (1803?) Part of the documentary was on shipboard discipline. Flogging. Pain compliance.

From too many videos, tasers are used not just to get a person under control, but for pain compliance. Meaning, I've seen too many videos where the cops already had physical control of the squirming guy, and they tasered him repeatedly to make him stop squirming, rather than just wrestle him into cuffs.

We need to start calling tasers what they really are: electronic whips. Just because the manufacturer dreamed up a nicer sounding name, and just because police use a nicer sounding name, does not mean the rest of us have to use it.

Last edited:

ConditionThree

State Pioneer
It seems that the OCDO California forum has degenerated into something less valuable that Calguns.net's offtopic message board. (At least there, they have funny pictures that make you laugh or has somewhat entertaining content.)

Can someone at least try to think of something relevant to the OP that might have a tangent with open carry?

Otherwise,

/end thread.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
It seems that the OCDO California forum has degenerated into something less valuable that Calguns.net's offtopic message board. (At least there, they have funny pictures that make you laugh or has somewhat entertaining content.)

Can someone at least try to think of something relevant to the OP that might have a tangent with open carry?

Otherwise,

/end thread.

Would an OCer be justified in stepping in to defend the victim of the police assault? The defense-of-others prong of self-defense.

Save Our State

Would an OCer be justified in stepping in to defend the victim of the police assault? The defense-of-others prong of self-defense.

God no!

If you had the stones to try and intervene on the police using excessive force, your only hope of surviving it would be pleading with them to stop. Otherwise, it would be one open-carrier against a bunch of trained killers. You'd get 'em to stop their other beat down, but only because you'd become a more justifiable target

Save Our State

Otherwise,

/end thread.

Oh c'mon now....it hasn't gotten that bad here yet.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
God no!

If you had the stones to try and intervene on the police using excessive force, your only hope of surviving it would be pleading with them to stop. Otherwise, it would be one open-carrier against a bunch of trained killers. You'd get 'em to stop their other beat down, but only because you'd become a more justifiable target

So, what are you telling me? That in addition to gun, magazines, holster, tactical knife, flashlight, and voice-recorder, now I gotta carry a spare box of donuts to lure them away? :p

Ca Patriot

well, since open carry is now essentially completly illegal in california its hard to talk about open carry.

maybe we could all sit around and wax nostalgic about days past ?

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
well, since open carry is now essentially completly illegal in california its hard to talk about open carry.

I've waxed my back and chest before. Where is my nostalgic? Or, do I maybe not want to know? :)

ConditionThree

State Pioneer

Please cite the applicable code that supports your assertion that open carry is 'essentially, completely illegal in California'.

If you are unable or unwilling to honestly support your assertion, I would kindly ask you to slither back to the forum that would be appropriate for your current home state.

Last edited: