Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Question for new Michigan Mods OT

Question for new Michigan Mods OT

Was there an edict from OCDO given to you to close threads? It seems more threads are closed now than ever before. Some are closed for seemingly no good reason.

Banned
    One of my favorite things about OCDO was that we could go OT now and then without threads being locked all the time, but things were getting out of hand. They decided to crack down on things here. I suspect that it will all level off after a bit.

Campaign Veteran smellslikemichigan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by scot623 View Post
    Was there an edict from OCDO given to you to close threads? It seems more threads are closed now than ever before. Some are closed for seemingly no good reason.
    watch out you might get the ban hammer from one of the new power-tripping mods
    on a positive note, there seems to be less of the nitpicking about text colors and other nonsense from some of the national mods now that we have the ability to police the threads at the state level.
    "If it ain't loaded and cocked it don't shoot." - Rooster Cogburn
    http://www.graystatemovie.com/

Question for new Michigan Mods

They get a commission for each thread closed?
    Call for a cop, call for an ambulance, and call for a pizza. See who shows up first.

I am not a lawyer (merely an omnipotent member of a continuum). The contents of this post are not a substitute for sound legal advice from a licensed attorney in your jurisdiction.

Comments and views stated in my post are my own and do not necessarily represent the views of Michigan Open Carry, Inc. unless stated otherwise in the post.

Quote Originally Posted by TheQ View Post
    They get a commission for each thread closed?
    No edict, no bonus; or, they didn't tell me about it!

There is a secret bounty on the Q, though. Oh, rats, I wasn't supposed to say.....
    'If the people are not ready for the exercise of the non-violence of the brave, they must be ready for the use of force in self defense. There should be no camouflage.....it must never be secret.' MK Gandhi II-146 (Gandhi on Non-Violence)-- Gandhi supports open carry!

'There is nothing more demoralizing than the fake non-violence of the weak and impotent.' MK Gandhi II-153 (Gandhi on Non-Violence)

I bet your glad stainless answered your question huh? Now its all clear. I feel better, dont you?

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow Bear View Post
    No edict, no bonus; or, they didn't tell me about it!

There is a secret bounty on the Q, though. Oh, rats, I wasn't supposed to say.....
    There ya go. No need to keep this thread open any longer, lets lock this thing down.

Quote Originally Posted by WilDChilD View Post
    There ya go. No need to keep this thread open any longer, lets lock this thing down.
    Asked & answered; but I'm open to opposing points of view.

Which thread didn't deserve to be closed, and why?

Seriously, lets have a dialog; I'm listening.
    'If the people are not ready for the exercise of the non-violence of the brave, they must be ready for the use of force in self defense. There should be no camouflage.....it must never be secret.' MK Gandhi II-146 (Gandhi on Non-Violence)-- Gandhi supports open carry!

'There is nothing more demoralizing than the fake non-violence of the weak and impotent.' MK Gandhi II-153 (Gandhi on Non-Violence)

I dont see why most of the locked threads are locked. Conversations evolve. Just because we are not talking about the original topic doesnt mean people were not still talking. It has become a joke. Why cant a thread just die because people quit posting?

BTW, I dont think you (shadow bear) are the one locking all the threads, but maybe you are?

Best recent example is the Neighborhood Watch thread. It was humming along, Dr Todd made a comment about the cost of war..and bam! It's locked. There wasn't any personal attacks or nastiness I saw and yet it was closed. I PM'd him to ask why it was locked, he replied he didn't know why and reopened it. A few posts later it was locked "by special request".

The New to Michigan thread died a pretty quick death too...the OP barely had a chance to follow up with questions.

Quote Originally Posted by WilDChilD View Post
    I dont see why most of the locked threads are locked. Conversations evolve. Just because we are not talking about the original topic doesnt mean people were not still talking. It has become a joke. Why cant a thread just die because people quit posting?

BTW, I dont think you (shadow bear) are the one locking all the threads, but maybe you are?
    It's the way it used to be and it worked out just fine. Granted, there were/are the anti's/trolls and such to deal with, but eventually, they were banned or just dried up and blew away. Times are a changin' I suppose.

The New to Michigan thread died a pretty quick death too...the OP barely had a chance to follow up with questions.
    Seriously? It started when TheQ and you started your childlish little pot-shots at Stainless. Just ignore him.

Quote Originally Posted by TheQ
    He's upset he's banned there so therefore it isn't a good place

Just guessing.

Quote Originally Posted by Stainless1911
    What? Nobody knew I was banned! Better tell them.

Quote Originally Posted by scott623
    Interestingly enough, I'm no longer on MOC's board, yet you are still banned. Looks like it wasn't me picking on you after all.
    It started with TheQ's childishness and spiralled down from there. Had he not posted what he did perhaps the thread would still be open but he just can't stop himself.

Bronson
    Those who expect to reap the benefits of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it. Thomas Paine

Quote Originally Posted by Bronson View Post
    Seriously? It started when TheQ and you started your childlish little pot-shots at Stainless. Just ignore him.

It started with TheQ's childishness and spiralled down from there. Had he not posted what he did perhaps the thread would still be open but he just can't stop himself.

Bronson
    So it's my fault..thanks for clearing that up. Oh, wait a minute..you and stainless aren't Mods so I guess you answering a question I specifically posed to the Mods is really a waste of bandwidth. How about we wait for them to tell us the reason for all the locks( maybe it is me!).

Well, I don't know about the other mods, but when I close a thread it's for one of 2 reasons.
    a.) The OP asked me to.
    b.) I'm trying to keep things from going too far. Although usually, I'm too late, and things have gone too far already.

Also, I hope no one else asks me to ban someone. I've not found those controls yet, if they exist for mods. I'm not sure they do.

Actually, there are 3 reasons.
    c.) When I get complaints about a post being OT, or a bunch of posts being OT, sometimes the only way to stop it is to close the thread.
    (Give me time, I'm sure I'll come up with a 4th reason. )
    Last edited by Big Gay Al; 10-10-2012 at 03:59 PM. Reason: an additional thought
    Big Gay Al
    Coordinator, Michigan Pink Pistols
    Big Gay Al's Big Gay (Gun) Blog
    Fabrique Nationale d'Herstal FNX-45 .45ACP 16 rounds of hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by stainless1911 View Post
    One of my favorite things about OCDO was that we could go OT now and then without threads being locked all the time, but things were getting out of hand. They decided to crack down on things here. I suspect that it will all level off after a bit.
    My personal opinion, I have no problem with OT subjects, but they should be labeled as such, that way, everyone will know the thread is OT, and can ignore it if they wish. That's the way it's been done on other forums I've been on. And I myself have no problem with it being done that way.

The only remaining question would be if the admin agrees with it also. After all, he has the final word.
    Big Gay Al

Quote Originally Posted by stainless1911 View Post
    Even those who lock threads, to include the out-of-staters, are guilty of same.

Re: Question for new Michigan Mods OT

Best recent example is the Neighborhood Watch thread. It was humming along, Dr Todd made a comment about the cost of war..and bam! It's locked. There wasn't any personal attacks or nastiness I saw and yet it was closed. I PM'd him to ask why it was locked, he replied he didn't know why and reopened it. A few posts later it was locked "by special request".

I believe that I may have inadvertently locked the thread when I posted my comment... don't know how other than my post was last so I can accept the assumption.
    That being said, I haven't purposely locked any thread... yet. I hesitate doing so only because typically a thread "derails" rather than starting out off-topic. However, I have no hesitation in removing individual posts which blatantly violate the website's rules. That being said, I am willing to consider that I misinterpreted what was being stated and an aggrieved individual is welcome to pm me about my moderating.
    Last edited by DrTodd; 10-10-2012 at 04:58 PM.
    Giving up our liberties for safety is the one sure way to let the violent among us win.

"Though defensive violence will always be a 'sad necessity' in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men." -Saint Augustine

Disclaimer I am not a lawyer! Please do not consider anything you read from me to be legal advice.

Starting to look like a government operation here. First, instead of being more forceful in the beginning of the issue(warnings, banning, etc), it is left to slide a little out of control. Second, make useless attempts at fixing the problem(locking threads, deleting posts), sliding more out of control. Third, empower from within activist ranks to break up the pack.(state mods), . Finally, once you have succeeded in penetrating the ranks of the opposition, destroy it from within.

The more I look at some of the locked threads, the more I see they were locked for nothing but a heated debate.

My point is, this isnt going to be good for anybody.

Im ready for my microchip Mr. Moderator.
    Last edited by Tucker6900; 10-10-2012 at 05:41 PM.
    The only terrorists I see nowadays are at the Capital.

The statements made in this post do not necessarily reflect the views of OCDO or its members.

So it's my fault..thanks for clearing that up. Oh, wait a minute..you and stainless aren't Mods so I guess you answering a question I specifically posed to the Mods is really a waste of bandwidth. How about we wait for them to tell us the reason for all the locks( maybe it is me!).
    This post ironically enough illustrates his point. Are you incapable of having a civil conversation void of jabs and sarcasm? At the very least, you could have simply ignored it and waited for the moderators. And if you didn't want the 'community' to respond, perhaps you should have pm'ed the mods?

For what its worth, my opinion is that the answer to your original question lies in the way you and a few others post responses exactly like the one I quoted above, instead of having a little tact and professionalism. There is a difference between meaningful conversation with a goal of debating a point, and sarcasm and trolling for the purpose of hoping to bully someone into leaving.

It makes actually trying to help someone answer a legitimate question incredibly difficult when you guys do this crap, and to have it come from people in positions that, whether intended or not, publicly represent open carriers in Michigan to media and others, it is embarrassing.

When a new poster asks a question, and the answer they get is "well, don't ask stainless that's for sure"... its like... what the hell? Answer the question or don't. If bad advice is given, correct it, sure... but even that can be done in a professional and intelligent way.

Edited to respond to Tucker:
    I agree that none of this is good for anybody. I think it is a social issue though... one that the posters have to fix for themselves... I don't think there is any amount of moderating that can fix what is going on.

As they say in IT, technical solutions to social issues are inherently flawed.
    Last edited by Evil Creamsicle; 10-10-2012 at 06:16 PM.

In my opinion, sometimes threads need to be closed when they go way off topic. Case and point;

1. It supports carrying a firearm while under the influence of intoxicating drugs or alcohol.
    2. Supporting unlimited welfare/government handouts for those who are able bodied but too lazy to work.
    3. It supports vigilantly justice.

Quote Originally Posted by Evil Creamsicle View Post
    This post ironically enough illustrates his point. Are you incapable of having a civil conversation void of jabs and sarcasm? At the very least, you could have simply ignored it and waited for the moderators. And if you didn't want the 'community' to respond, perhaps you should have pm'ed the mods?

For what its worth, my opinion is that the answer to your original question lies in the way you and a few others post responses exactly like the one I quoted above, instead of having a little tact and professionalism.
    Hmmm, wasn't the post I responded to a jab at me?

First, the question was asked openly because I'm sure others are interested in the answer. Second, (jab alert)...you are aware this is an Internet forum? The end all be all place for sarcasm and jabs. Besides, posts of this nature have been on OCDO long before I got here, and threads weren't shut down like this. And lastly, to those who expect certain posters to have "tact and professionalism", you are likely to be continually disappointed. If you feel so strongly about certain people who hold certain positions posting in a certain manner...maybe you should hold those positions so you can control how professional they are perceived.

I'm only looking for mean spirited, personal jabs, potentially illegal or patently false advice and blatant forum rule violations.

Keep it civil & constructive, and we're good. I'll delete a comment before I kill a good debate.

Quote Originally Posted by DrTodd View Post
    I believe that I may have inadvertently locked the thread when I posted my comment... don't know how other than my post was last so I can accept the assumption.
    That being said, I haven't purposely locked any thread... yet. I hesitate doing so only because typically a thread "derails" rather than starting out off-topic. However, I have no hesitation in removing individual posts which blatantly violate the website's rules. That being said, I am willing to consider that I misinterpreted what was being stated and an aggrieved individual is welcome to pm me about my moderating.
    Nope, I locked that one last, at the request of the OP.
    Big Gay Al

Banned

I know the OP, have for years. As soon as it went racial, he wanted it closed. He PMed the mods on my suggestion, and it was locked. you really can't blame the mods for that one.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Gay Al View Post
    My personal opinion, I have no problem with OT subjects, but they should be labeled as such, that way, everyone will know the thread is OT, and can ignore it if they wish. That's the way it's been done on other forums I've been on. And I myself have no problem with it being done that way.

The only remaining question would be if the admin agrees with it also. After all, he has the final word.
    People can see without a label if a thread is OT, and can participate, or unsubscribe if they wish.

Often, threads will go OT, and will find their way back on topic, sometimes with a friendly nudge. It's the nature of conversation, especially online. A lot can be learned from threads going OT. An OT conversation can bring new views and opinions that would have otherwise been unheard. I have participated in many discussions where the new subject matter, or deviation was much more informative and productive than was the original intended topic.

That said, when threads go into the gutter, it's certainly not productive, but it can be great fun. It's also a good way to really find out what the people we think we know here are really like in personality. Sometimes things are said to make a point, or to do a little trolling now and then, many are guilty of that. Sometimes it's for good reason, sometimes, not so much. Bottom line, don't believe everything you read on the internet.
    Last edited by stainless1911; 10-10-2012 at 09:21 PM.

Unless a thread gets down right nasty or violates the established rules, I see no benefit to locking it. I don't care who requests it, it's not as if the OP owns the thread. Plus all this thread locking kills any chance of the awesome necro-posts that happen from time to time.
    Last edited by scot623; 10-10-2012 at 09:26 PM.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast