• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Question for new Michigan Mods OT

Status
Not open for further replies.

scot623

Was there an edict from OCDO given to you to close threads? It seems more threads are closed now than ever before. Some are closed for seemingly no good reason.

stainless1911

Banned
One of my favorite things about OCDO was that we could go OT now and then without threads being locked all the time, but things were getting out of hand. They decided to crack down on things here. I suspect that it will all level off after a bit.

smellslikemichigan

Campaign Veteran
Was there an edict from OCDO given to you to close threads? It seems more threads are closed now than ever before. Some are closed for seemingly no good reason.
watch out:exclaim: you might get the ban hammer from one of the new power-tripping mods:exclaim:
on a positive note, there seems to be less of the nitpicking about text colors and other nonsense from some of the national mods now that we have the ability to police the threads at the state level.

TheQ

Question for new Michigan Mods

They get a commission for each thread closed?

Shadow Bear

Michigan Moderator
There ya go. No need to keep this thread open any longer, lets lock this thing down.

Asked & answered; but I'm open to opposing points of view.

Which thread didn't deserve to be closed, and why?

Seriously, lets have a dialog; I'm listening.

WilDChilD

I dont see why most of the locked threads are locked. Conversations evolve. Just because we are not talking about the original topic doesnt mean people were not still talking. It has become a joke. Why cant a thread just die because people quit posting?

BTW, I dont think you (shadow bear) are the one locking all the threads, but maybe you are?

scot623

Best recent example is the Neighborhood Watch thread. It was humming along, Dr Todd made a comment about the cost of war..and bam! It's locked. There wasn't any personal attacks or nastiness I saw and yet it was closed. I PM'd him to ask why it was locked, he replied he didn't know why and reopened it. A few posts later it was locked "by special request".

The New to Michigan thread died a pretty quick death too...the OP barely had a chance to follow up with questions.

SpringerXDacp

I dont see why most of the locked threads are locked. Conversations evolve. Just because we are not talking about the original topic doesnt mean people were not still talking. It has become a joke. Why cant a thread just die because people quit posting?

BTW, I dont think you (shadow bear) are the one locking all the threads, but maybe you are?

It's the way it used to be and it worked out just fine. Granted, there were/are the anti's/trolls and such to deal with, but eventually, they were banned or just dried up and blew away. Times are a changin' I suppose.

Bronson

The New to Michigan thread died a pretty quick death too...the OP barely had a chance to follow up with questions.

Seriously? It started when TheQ and you started your childlish little pot-shots at Stainless. Just ignore him.

TheQ said:
He's upset he's banned there so therefore it isn't a good place:question:

Just guessing.

Stainless1911 said:
What? Nobody knew I was banned! Better tell them.

scott623 said:
Interestingly enough, I'm no longer on MOC's board, yet you are still banned. Looks like it wasn't me picking on you after all.

It started with TheQ's childishness and spiralled down from there. Had he not posted what he did perhaps the thread would still be open but he just can't stop himself.

Bronson

scot623

Seriously? It started when TheQ and you started your childlish little pot-shots at Stainless. Just ignore him.

It started with TheQ's childishness and spiralled down from there. Had he not posted what he did perhaps the thread would still be open but he just can't stop himself.

Bronson

So it's my fault..thanks for clearing that up. Oh, wait a minute..you and stainless aren't Mods so I guess you answering a question I specifically posed to the Mods is really a waste of bandwidth. How about we wait for them to tell us the reason for all the locks( maybe it is me!).

Big Gay Al

Michigan Moderator
Well, I don't know about the other mods, but when I close a thread it's for one of 2 reasons.
a.) The OP asked me to.
b.) I'm trying to keep things from going too far. Although usually, I'm too late, and things have gone too far already.

Also, I hope no one else asks me to ban someone. I've not found those controls yet, if they exist for mods. I'm not sure they do. :)

Actually, there are 3 reasons. :)
c.) When I get complaints about a post being OT, or a bunch of posts being OT, sometimes the only way to stop it is to close the thread.
(Give me time, I'm sure I'll come up with a 4th reason. :) )

Last edited:

Big Gay Al

Michigan Moderator
One of my favorite things about OCDO was that we could go OT now and then without threads being locked all the time, but things were getting out of hand. They decided to crack down on things here. I suspect that it will all level off after a bit.
My personal opinion, I have no problem with OT subjects, but they should be labeled as such, that way, everyone will know the thread is OT, and can ignore it if they wish. That's the way it's been done on other forums I've been on. And I myself have no problem with it being done that way.

The only remaining question would be if the admin agrees with it also. After all, he has the final word.

SpringerXDacp

Even those who lock threads, to include the out-of-staters, are guilty of same.

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
Best recent example is the Neighborhood Watch thread. It was humming along, Dr Todd made a comment about the cost of war..and bam! It's locked. There wasn't any personal attacks or nastiness I saw and yet it was closed. I PM'd him to ask why it was locked, he replied he didn't know why and reopened it. A few posts later it was locked "by special request".

I believe that I may have inadvertently locked the thread when I posted my comment... don't know how other than my post was last so I can accept the assumption.
That being said, I haven't purposely locked any thread... yet. I hesitate doing so only because typically a thread "derails" rather than starting out off-topic. However, I have no hesitation in removing individual posts which blatantly violate the website's rules. That being said, I am willing to consider that I misinterpreted what was being stated and an aggrieved individual is welcome to pm me about my moderating.

Last edited:

Tucker6900

Starting to look like a government operation here. First, instead of being more forceful in the beginning of the issue(warnings, banning, etc), it is left to slide a little out of control. Second, make useless attempts at fixing the problem(locking threads, deleting posts), sliding more out of control. Third, empower from within activist ranks to break up the pack.(state mods), . Finally, once you have succeeded in penetrating the ranks of the opposition, destroy it from within.

The more I look at some of the locked threads, the more I see they were locked for nothing but a heated debate.

My point is, this isnt going to be good for anybody.

Im ready for my microchip Mr. Moderator.

Last edited:

Evil Creamsicle

So it's my fault..thanks for clearing that up. Oh, wait a minute..you and stainless aren't Mods so I guess you answering a question I specifically posed to the Mods is really a waste of bandwidth. How about we wait for them to tell us the reason for all the locks( maybe it is me!).

This post ironically enough illustrates his point. Are you incapable of having a civil conversation void of jabs and sarcasm? At the very least, you could have simply ignored it and waited for the moderators. And if you didn't want the 'community' to respond, perhaps you should have pm'ed the mods?

For what its worth, my opinion is that the answer to your original question lies in the way you and a few others post responses exactly like the one I quoted above, instead of having a little tact and professionalism. There is a difference between meaningful conversation with a goal of debating a point, and sarcasm and trolling for the purpose of hoping to bully someone into leaving.

It makes actually trying to help someone answer a legitimate question incredibly difficult when you guys do this crap, and to have it come from people in positions that, whether intended or not, publicly represent open carriers in Michigan to media and others, it is embarrassing.

When a new poster asks a question, and the answer they get is "well, don't ask stainless that's for sure"... its like... what the hell? Answer the question or don't. If bad advice is given, correct it, sure... but even that can be done in a professional and intelligent way.

Edited to respond to Tucker:
I agree that none of this is good for anybody. I think it is a social issue though... one that the posters have to fix for themselves... I don't think there is any amount of moderating that can fix what is going on.

As they say in IT, technical solutions to social issues are inherently flawed.

Last edited:

budlight

In my opinion, sometimes threads need to be closed when they go way off topic. Case and point;

1. It supports carrying a firearm while under the influence of intoxicating drugs or alcohol.
2. Supporting unlimited welfare/government handouts for those who are able bodied but too lazy to work.
3. It supports vigilantly justice.

Status
Not open for further replies.