Thread: Cook County mulling violence tax on guns and ammunition

Cook County mulling violence tax on guns and ammunition

http://www.suntimes.com/15644719-761...mmunition.html

“If we were to pursue a tax on something like guns and ammo, clearly that wouldn’t be popular with the [gun lobby] out there, and it may not generate $50 million, but ... it is consistent with our commitment to pursuing violence reduction in the city and in the county,” Kurt Summers, Preckwinkle’s chief of staff, said on Monday.

I hope this fails because, if it does not then it will be a new battle for us gun owners to fight.
    Provision for free medical attendance and nursing, for clothing, for food, for housing, for the education of children, and a hundred other matters, might with equal propriety be proposed as tending to relieve the employee of mental strain and worry. --- These matters obviously lie outside the orbit of congressional power. (Railroad Retirement Board v Alton Railroad)

What about cars? this may reduce hit and runs or DUI's.

What about knifes? This may reduce stabbings and robbery also.

What about representives that don't have their heads up their %&^? This might reduce stupidity; but not likely.

Quote Originally Posted by DocWalker View Post
    What about cars? this may reduce hit and runs or DUI's.

What about knifes? This may reduce stabbings and robbery also.

What about representives that don't have their heads up their %&^? This might reduce stupidity; but not likely.
    If this goes through, I would then be worried that other cities will follow suit and do the same thing.
    Provision for free medical attendance and nursing, for clothing, for food, for housing, for the education of children, and a hundred other matters, might with equal propriety be proposed as tending to relieve the employee of mental strain and worry. --- These matters obviously lie outside the orbit of congressional power. (Railroad Retirement Board v Alton Railroad)

I'm sure all the street corner gun dealers will be very particular to pay the violence tax
    they love our milk and honey, but they preach about some other way of living, when they're running down my country man they're walkin' on the fightin side of me

NRA Member

If it does go through we can than the voters of Nevada for voting these dweebs into office; but then again these are the same voters that keep sending Harry Reid to Washington.

Banned
    I buy all my ammo through the internet ... so any local tax assessed I would not pay.

But its Chicago who thinks guns are evil ... except for alderman who can carry of course.

Founder's Club Member
    If you think about it, this was only a matter of time. The circle would be complete.

Government decides to tax that which it holds as its core power--the monopoly on violence, treating violence as something objectionable and to be reduced.

Bwahahahahahahahaaa! An armed rebellion against this tax would be even better than the Whisky Rebellion. You could drink the irony.
    Last edited by Citizen; 10-10-2012 at 04:07 PM.
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen View Post
    If you think about it, this was only a matter of time. The circle would be complete.

Government decides to tax that which it holds as its core power--the monopoly on violence, treating violence as something objectionable and to be reduced.

Bwahahahahahahahaaa! An armed rebellion against this tax would be even better than the Whisky Rebellion. You could drink the irony.

I tend not to drink liquid iron, it gives me a killer case of heartburn....
    they love our milk and honey, but they preach about some other way of living, when they're running down my country man they're walkin' on the fightin side of me

NRA Member

Founder's Club Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EMNofSeattle View Post
    [/B]

I tend not to drink liquid iron, it gives me a killer case of heartburn....

You just have to build up to it. Start with adding cold iron to your breakfast cereal, say, railroad spikes. Then include a few red-hot horseshoes as a side dish to your favorite chili. Drinking a half-cup of pureed habaneros as a bedtime tonic helps, too. Before you know it, liquid iron goes down smoother than illegal whisky.

Some recommend including sodium metal in the diet, too. But, I find the alkalinity just gives me terrible burps.
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

Sounds like a good time to start removing these assbags from office. By any (legal) means necessary.
    The only terrorists I see nowadays are at the Capital.

The statements made in this post do not necessarily reflect the views of OCDO or its members.

Quote Originally Posted by DocWalker View Post
    If it does go through we can than the voters of Nevada for voting these dweebs into office; but then again these are the same voters that keep sending Harry Reid to Washington.
    This is a city of Chicago/state of Illinois thing. What does this have to do with "the voters of Nevada?"

Quote Originally Posted by LV XD9 View Post
    This is a city of Chicago/state of Illinois thing. What does this have to do with "the voters of Nevada?"
    My mistake I thought we were talking CLARK CO. Nevada.

I stand corrected.