• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Cook County mulling violence tax on guns and ammunition

Freedom1Man

http://www.suntimes.com/15644719-761/cook-county-mulling-violence-tax-on-guns-and-ammunition.html

“If we were to pursue a tax on something like guns and ammo, clearly that wouldn’t be popular with the [gun lobby] out there, and it may not generate $50 million, but ... it is consistent with our commitment to pursuing violence reduction in the city and in the county,” Kurt Summers, Preckwinkle’s chief of staff, said on Monday.

I hope this fails because, if it does not then it will be a new battle for us gun owners to fight.

DocWalker

What about cars? this may reduce hit and runs or DUI's.

What about knifes? This may reduce stabbings and robbery also.

What about representives that don't have their heads up their %&^? This might reduce stupidity; but not likely.

Ca Patriot

I have previsouly proposed the city of Chicago mandate the purchase and wearing of bullet proof vests for all black males aged 14-30 within city limits.

This would reduce fatalities and also the medical costs asociated with treating injuries.

On that show on National Geographic that takes places in the trauma unit of the major Cook County hospital they said the average gun shot victim costs about $500,000 to treat.

A vest costs about $400-600

Freedom1Man

What about cars? this may reduce hit and runs or DUI's.

What about knifes? This may reduce stabbings and robbery also.

What about representives that don't have their heads up their %&^? This might reduce stupidity; but not likely.

If this goes through, I would then be worried that other cities will follow suit and do the same thing.

DocWalker

If it does go through we can than the voters of Nevada for voting these dweebs into office; but then again these are the same voters that keep sending Harry Reid to Washington.

davidmcbeth

Banned
I buy all my ammo through the internet ... so any local tax assessed I would not pay.

But its Chicago who thinks guns are evil ... except for alderman who can carry of course.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
If you think about it, this was only a matter of time. The circle would be complete.

Government decides to tax that which it holds as its core power--the monopoly on violence, treating violence as something objectionable and to be reduced.

Bwahahahahahahahaaa! An armed rebellion against this tax would be even better than the Whisky Rebellion. You could drink the irony.

Last edited:

EMNofSeattle

If you think about it, this was only a matter of time. The circle would be complete.

Government decides to tax that which it holds as its core power--the monopoly on violence, treating violence as something objectionable and to be reduced.

Bwahahahahahahahaaa! An armed rebellion against this tax would be even better than the Whisky Rebellion. You could drink the irony.

I tend not to drink liquid iron, it gives me a killer case of heartburn....

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
[/B]

I tend not to drink liquid iron, it gives me a killer case of heartburn....

You just have to build up to it. Start with adding cold iron to your breakfast cereal, say, railroad spikes. Then include a few red-hot horseshoes as a side dish to your favorite chili. Drinking a half-cup of pureed habaneros as a bedtime tonic helps, too. Before you know it, liquid iron goes down smoother than illegal whisky. :D

Some recommend including sodium metal in the diet, too. But, I find the alkalinity just gives me terrible burps.

Tucker6900

Sounds like a good time to start removing these assbags from office. By any (legal) means necessary.

LV XD9

If it does go through we can than the voters of Nevada for voting these dweebs into office; but then again these are the same voters that keep sending Harry Reid to Washington.

This is a city of Chicago/state of Illinois thing. What does this have to do with "the voters of Nevada?"