Thread: Sound Credit Union..

Sound Credit Union..

So on a whim I sent their customer service a question on their firearms policy, just to see what they would say. Only because of some recent discussion about other banks I wanted to know my bank's reaction.

The response was unreasonable..

Basic drone response of..

For the safety of our staff and customers we ask you leave all weapons in your vehicle..

My response was

So do y employ full time armed security to protect me and my family..

Their response was...

We do not employ full time armed security..

Guess I'll have to keep CC or find another bank.

"Sent via a teleportation device"

WHY CANNOT PEOPLE just adopt "Don't ask, Don't tell" and avoid all this associated BS?

Re: Sound Credit Union..

Quote Originally Posted by Trigger Dr View Post
    WHY CANNOT PEOPLE just adopt "Don't ask, Don't tell" and avoid all this associated BS?
    For the same reason I would rather know ahead of time than to deal with angry manager or have the cops called on me.

Sound Credit Union..

Don't make an issue where none exists. Just exercise your rights and if an issue arises, confront the issue at that time.

Any time you ask the question the answer will almost always be the knee jerk reaction that you got. I know I've read in other threads that people on here OC in sound CU with no problems what so ever.

You very well may have just caused problems for them in the future.
    Guns don't kill people, bullets do!

+1

It is legal. Leave it alone and go about your business.
    Live Free or Die!

Here we go again... It's been a while since we've had one of "these" types of new posters. I hope you don't feel the need to ask permission before wearing your favorite jacket, or carrying your car keys with you in the bank...

You don't ask permission to do any other legal activity so just carry your gun as you normally would and don't ask what their policy is. You'll be surprised to find out that it won't be an issue 99% of the time.

Listen to what some people here are saying about it. You don't have the OC experience that a LOT of us have, so you can learn much about what to do and not do.
    Certified Glock Armorer

"A government and its agents are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any particular individual citizen..." -- Warren v. District of Columbia, 444 A.2d 1 (D.C. App.181)

A 1911 that works properly is as rare as a Glock that doesn't.

Re: Sound Credit Union..

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderTattoo View Post
    Here we go again... It's been a while since we've had one of "these" types of new posters. I hope you don't feel the need to ask permission before wearing your favorite jacket, or carrying your car keys with you in the bank...

You don't ask permission to do any other legal activity so just carry your gun as you normally would and don't ask what their policy is. You'll be surprised to find out that it won't be an issue 99% of the time.

Listen to what some people here are saying about it. You don't have the OC experience that a LOT of us have, so you can learn much about what to do and not do.
    Who's a new poster?

I've been a member since early 2010 and frequent the forums for more reading than interactions..

Quote Originally Posted by spikedzombies View Post
    Who's a new poster?

I've been a member since early 2010 and frequent the forums for more reading than interactions..

C'mon man, then you should know that certain posts around here will get you soundly scolded. Like asking about long guns or starting a WAC fight.
    It is very wise to not take a watermelon lightly.

Who's a new poster?

Clearly you haven't read that much on here. There have been many threads just like this over the last couple years. Either you're new, or you should know this already.
    Certified Glock Armorer

"A government and its agents are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any particular individual citizen..." -- Warren v. District of Columbia, 444 A.2d 1 (D.C. App.181)

A 1911 that works properly is as rare as a Glock that doesn't.

Clearly you haven't read that much on here. There have been many threads just like this over the last couple years. Either you're new, or you should know this already.

Easy now, no need to get testy about it. It's just the internet!

I'm a member at sound cu in auburn I go in at least 2times a week o/c and the branch manager said I was more than welcome to have my firearm. Even the teller noticed once and made a comment to the effect she would have not known I was carrying unless the branch manager didn't say anything.

Who's a new poster?

+1

Read, search, reread!
    Live Free or Die!

ouch !! ouch !! ouch !! Nope Still Did Not Learn ouch !!
    Last edited by BigDave; 10-11-2012 at 12:08 AM.
    • Being prepared is to prepare, this is our responsibility.
    • I am not your Mommy or Daddy and do not sugar coat it but I will tell you simply as how I see it, it is up to you on how you will or will not use it.
    • IANAL, all information I present is for your review, do your own homework.

+1

Also, I've oc'd at the Key Center location many times, and nary a word.

Winston Salem, North Carolina, United States
    Who's a new poster?

He was referring to your low post count.

All of the people who responded to this post are right, though. Don't ask beforehand, just like you wouldn't ask about grocery shopping.
    "All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke

"I like people who stand on the Constitution... unless they're using it to wipe their feet." - Jon E Hutcherson

Because it doesn't make for as "sensational" a post when someone just says "I went to my bank and just covered up so I could get my business handled in a minimum amount of time".

Remember, for some it's all about the "confrontation". Of course they'll defend the action as an "education opportunity", etc, Blah, Blah, but in the end we'll probably just see the Banks and Credit unions lobby for a "No Firearms" law from the Legislature. Believe me, their lobby is far more organized than the "Open Carry" lobby.

Flame on if you wish, it's just what I see in my "magic Eight-Ball".
    "If I shoot all the ammo I am carrying I either won't need anymore or more won't help"

"If you refuse to stand up for others now, who will stand up for you when your time comes?"

Quote Originally Posted by amlevin View Post
    Because it doesn't make for as "sensational" a post when someone just says "I went to my bank and just covered up so I could get my business handled in a minimum amount of time".

Remember, for some it's all about the "confrontation". Of course they'll defend the action as an "education opportunity", etc, Blah, Blah, but in the end we'll probably just see the Banks and Credit unions lobby for a "No Firearms" law from the Legislature. Believe me, their lobby is far more organized than the "Open Carry" lobby.

You speak the truth.

If you're so worried about a bank's policies that you have to ask for permission to exercise a right then why not quit dealing with banks/credit unions at all?

If they send you a notice that you need to have business with them, take the notice, be polite, and exercise your rights. If they ask you to leave then leave while pointing out that you were there only because they demanded/requested you be there. Oh yeah watch out for the banks foreclosing on your home even if you paid cash for it.
    Provision for free medical attendance and nursing, for clothing, for food, for housing, for the education of children, and a hundred other matters, might with equal propriety be proposed as tending to relieve the employee of mental strain and worry. --- These matters obviously lie outside the orbit of congressional power. (Railroad Retirement Board v Alton Railroad)

Quote Originally Posted by Freedom1Man View Post
    If you're so worried about a bank's policies that you have to ask for permission to exercise a right then why not quit dealing with banks/credit unions at all?

If they send you a notice that you need to have business with them, take the notice, be polite, and exercise your rights. If they ask you to leave then leave while pointing out that you were there only because they demanded/requested you be there. Oh yeah watch out for the banks foreclosing on your home even if you paid cash for it.
    Having a bank is better then trying to bury all your cash in jars in the back yard, hate it when I don't remember where I buried that $500

I don't know what you were drinking, smoking when you wrote this but I would wait next time before proceeding.
    Last edited by BigDave; 10-12-2012 at 03:27 PM.
    • Being prepared is to prepare, this is our responsibility.
    • I am not your Mommy or Daddy and do not sugar coat it but I will tell you simply as how I see it, it is up to you on how you will or will not use it.
    • IANAL, all information I present is for your review, do your own homework.

Quote Originally Posted by amlevin View Post

Yes, for some it may, indeed, be about the confrontation. For others, perhaps, more about education...especially if they elect to not carry that particular time. Then, no confrontation; no demand to vacate; no trespass; just, perhaps, an opportunity to educate and spread some goodwill. Not that confrontation is always a bad thing...!

Quote Originally Posted by BigDave View Post
    Having a bank is better then trying to bury all your cash in jars in the back yard, hate it when I don't remember where I buried that $500

I don't know what you were drinking, smoking when you wrote this but I would wait next time before proceeding.
    I hate our modern banking system. If we stopped doing business with them they might finally either clean up their act or disappear.

I don't smoke. I also don't drink often or much.

If burying jars is your storage method then I will not even try to stop you.
    Provision for free medical attendance and nursing, for clothing, for food, for housing, for the education of children, and a hundred other matters, might with equal propriety be proposed as tending to relieve the employee of mental strain and worry. --- These matters obviously lie outside the orbit of congressional power. (Railroad Retirement Board v Alton Railroad)

Sound Credit Union..

Quote Originally Posted by Freedom1Man View Post
    I hate our modern banking system. If we stopped doing business with them they might finally either clean up their act or disappear.

I don't smoke. I also don't drink often or much.

If burying jars is your storage method then I will not even try to stop you.
    And what viable alternative to "our modern banking system" exists?

You might as well advocate abandoning shopping malls in hopes "they might disappear"

There are times for obstinance, and times to acknowledge one can't win every battle. More reasonable to simply avoid going into bank branches the same way one avoids going into malls, since there's hardly any need anymore what with ATMs & online banking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Metalhead47 View Post
    And what viable alternative to "our modern banking system" exists?

You might as well advocate abandoning shopping malls in hopes "they might disappear"

There are times for obstinance, and times to acknowledge one can't win every battle. More reasonable to simply avoid going into bank branches the same way one avoids going into malls, since there's hardly any need anymore what with ATMs & online banking.

Deposit reserve banking.

No interest charged for loans, no fractional reserve lending, and friendly home town service.

How this works is that let's say that you're wanting to start a business. You want a loan of 100,000 dollars. I as the owner/manager of the bank would examine your business plan (normal) and hire an expert to help you be successful. The pay back would be 10-25% of "net" earnings until the loan was paid off plus X amount and then a 1-10% ownership in the business.

For houses there would not be a 30 year loan any longer. There would be 10 year or less loans (yes that will affect housing prices). Then there will not be an interest rate there will be a monthly billing fee of X fixed rate per month. That fee might vary based on the loan and the lending risk. The money would be from what the bank has in reserves at that time or from anyone who has created a lending account who wishes to build their funds by way of a monthly lending payment. There would be contracts and certain restrictions on such accounts.

This system works fine for a non inflationary system and works with paper, silver, gold, and/or whatever your medium of exchange is.

This is a rough outline of a friendly banking plan so it will need some fine tuning as thing progress.
    Last edited by Freedom1Man; 10-12-2012 at 04:56 PM.

Sound Credit Union..

I meant a viable alternative that exists in the here & now, not a nice sounding idea that would be really great only if...

Enough of those floating around here already.