• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Sound Credit Union..

spikedzombies

So on a whim I sent their customer service a question on their firearms policy, just to see what they would say. Only because of some recent discussion about other banks I wanted to know my bank's reaction.

The response was unreasonable..

Basic drone response of..

For the safety of our staff and customers we ask you leave all weapons in your vehicle..

My response was

So do y employ full time armed security to protect me and my family..

Their response was...

We do not employ full time armed security..

Guess I'll have to keep CC or find another bank.

"Sent via a teleportation device"

tombrewster421

Don't make an issue where none exists. Just exercise your rights and if an issue arises, confront the issue at that time.

Any time you ask the question the answer will almost always be the knee jerk reaction that you got. I know I've read in other threads that people on here OC in sound CU with no problems what so ever.

You very well may have just caused problems for them in the future.

SpyderTattoo

Here we go again... :uhoh: It's been a while since we've had one of "these" types of new posters. I hope you don't feel the need to ask permission before wearing your favorite jacket, or carrying your car keys with you in the bank...

You don't ask permission to do any other legal activity so just carry your gun as you normally would and don't ask what their policy is. You'll be surprised to find out that it won't be an issue 99% of the time.

Listen to what some people here are saying about it. You don't have the OC experience that a LOT of us have, so you can learn much about what to do and not do.

spikedzombies

Here we go again... :uhoh: It's been a while since we've had one of "these" types of new posters. I hope you don't feel the need to ask permission before wearing your favorite jacket, or carrying your car keys with you in the bank...

You don't ask permission to do any other legal activity so just carry your gun as you normally would and don't ask what their policy is. You'll be surprised to find out that it won't be an issue 99% of the time.

Listen to what some people here are saying about it. You don't have the OC experience that a LOT of us have, so you can learn much about what to do and not do.

Who's a new poster?

I've been a member since early 2010 and frequent the forums for more reading than interactions..

SpyderTattoo

Who's a new poster?

I've been a member since early 2010 and frequent the forums for more reading than interactions..

Clearly you haven't read that much on here. There have been many threads just like this over the last couple years. Either you're new, or you should know this already.

briehl12

I'm a member at sound cu in auburn I go in at least 2times a week o/c and the branch manager said I was more than welcome to have my firearm. Even the teller noticed once and made a comment to the effect she would have not known I was carrying unless the branch manager didn't say anything.

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
Who's a new poster?

Clearly you haven't read that much on here. There have been many threads just like this over the last couple years. Either you're new, or you should know this already.

+1

Read, search, reread!

Bookman

Campaign Veteran
Winston Salem, North Carolina, United States
Who's a new poster?

He was referring to your low post count.

All of the people who responded to this post are right, though. Don't ask beforehand, just like you wouldn't ask about grocery shopping.

amlevin

WHY CANNOT PEOPLE just adopt "Don't ask, Don't tell" and avoid all this associated BS?

Because it doesn't make for as "sensational" a post when someone just says "I went to my bank and just covered up so I could get my business handled in a minimum amount of time".

Remember, for some it's all about the "confrontation". Of course they'll defend the action as an "education opportunity", etc, Blah, Blah, but in the end we'll probably just see the Banks and Credit unions lobby for a "No Firearms" law from the Legislature. Believe me, their lobby is far more organized than the "Open Carry" lobby.

Flame on if you wish, it's just what I see in my "magic Eight-Ball".

aktion

Because it doesn't make for as "sensational" a post when someone just says "I went to my bank and just covered up so I could get my business handled in a minimum amount of time".

Remember, for some it's all about the "confrontation". Of course they'll defend the action as an "education opportunity", etc, Blah, Blah, but in the end we'll probably just see the Banks and Credit unions lobby for a "No Firearms" law from the Legislature. Believe me, their lobby is far more organized than the "Open Carry" lobby.

You speak the truth.

Freedom1Man

If you're so worried about a bank's policies that you have to ask for permission to exercise a right then why not quit dealing with banks/credit unions at all?

If they send you a notice that you need to have business with them, take the notice, be polite, and exercise your rights. If they ask you to leave then leave while pointing out that you were there only because they demanded/requested you be there. Oh yeah watch out for the banks foreclosing on your home even if you paid cash for it.

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
If you're so worried about a bank's policies that you have to ask for permission to exercise a right then why not quit dealing with banks/credit unions at all?

If they send you a notice that you need to have business with them, take the notice, be polite, and exercise your rights. If they ask you to leave then leave while pointing out that you were there only because they demanded/requested you be there. Oh yeah watch out for the banks foreclosing on your home even if you paid cash for it.

Having a bank is better then trying to bury all your cash in jars in the back yard, hate it when I don't remember where I buried that $500 :lol::lol:

I don't know what you were drinking, smoking when you wrote this but I would wait next time before proceeding. :lol::lol:

Last edited:

CrossBow33

Yes, for some it may, indeed, be about the confrontation. For others, perhaps, more about education...especially if they elect to not carry that particular time. Then, no confrontation; no demand to vacate; no trespass; just, perhaps, an opportunity to educate and spread some goodwill. Not that confrontation is always a bad thing...!