• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

dane county sheriff what a great guy

oliverclotheshoff

read the story in the OP and you will see he is telling his employees not to check for felon status when for absentee voting and letting them vote

basically letting felons commit more felonies under his supervision

"In Wisconsin an individual serving jail time for a felony or under parole or supervision for a felony may not cast a ballot."

Last edited:

Sykes

Banned
read the story in the OP and you will see he is telling his employees not to check for felon status when for absentee voting and letting them vote

basically letting felons commit more felonies under his supervision

"In Wisconsin an individual serving jail time for a felony or under parole or supervision for a felony may not cast a ballot."

Media Trackers is just another internet blog site. Just hearsay.

Motofixxer

And what crime was occurring that a deputy would have knowledge of that they could touch, taste, see, smell, hear etc, based on more than a hunch??? The deputies would be digging into peoples private affairs and backgrounds with no legal or lawful reason to do so. Could that individual be a felon and ineligible? Sure could be, could they have had their voting eligibility been returned? Yep most definitely. Could their info they have access to be incorrect, so they refuse to hand over a ballot therefore denying an eligible person? Yes very possible. Could they be a perfectly eligible voter? Very likely.

All just as possible as you could be a felon walking down the street with a gun on your hip, but you don't want officer's investigating you without real information right??? How about we support everyone's rights equally and hold the officer's to the same standards across the board.

oliverclotheshoff

And what crime was occurring that a deputy would have knowledge of that they could touch, taste, see, smell, hear etc, based on more than a hunch??? The deputies would be digging into peoples private affairs and backgrounds with no legal or lawful reason to do so. Could that individual be a felon and ineligible? Sure could be, could they have had their voting eligibility been returned? Yep most definitely. Could their info they have access to be incorrect, so they refuse to hand over a ballot therefore denying an eligible person? Yes very possible. Could they be a perfectly eligible voter? Very likely.

All just as possible as you could be a felon walking down the street with a gun on your hip, but you don't want officer's investigating you without real information right??? How about we support everyone's rights equally and hold the officer's to the same standards across the board.

the only response i would have for you on this is if they are in jail already and asking for a ballot that would be IMO suspicion enough to do a quick little check to see if they are eligible to vote i would bet other jails do

Last edited:

sharkey

The fact that they're incarcerated could lead to that hunch. I don't know how many pre-conviction or misdemeanor inmates are housed in their location(s).

Checking on whether or not an inmate is a felon would require a quick and simple check of the county law enforcement’s computer system. It is going to be up to their polling location to research whether they are allowed to vote based on their criminal record, not the DCSO [Dane County Sheriff's Office],”Twombly wrote in a memo distributed to staff.

The decision by the sheriff’s office to ignore felon status for inmate voters means that law enforcement officials will not be working to prevent further legal violations on the part of those in their custody.

AaronS

I would never want the cops to be able to knock on my door and do a quick search of my home for contraban. I would never want the cops to tell me when I have to eat. I would never want the cops to tell me when I have to sleep. And yes, I do not want cops to stop me on the street, and do a quick back-ground check on me without RAS.
I am not in jail.

If I were in jail, all of this is done every day in every state in America. I think it is just part of the jail experience, and I have no problem with it at all. Due to the fact that I am in jail is the RAS...

M

McX

All just as possible as you could be a felon walking down the street with a gun on your hip

Moto honey, wasnt that used on us at a Culvarian encounter of the close kind some years back?

protias

All just as possible as you could be a felon walking down the street with a gun on your hip

Moto honey, wasnt that used on us at a Culvarian encounter of the close kind some years back?

That's every single cop's excuse.

Motofixxer

Try being illegally and unlawfully kidnapped, assaulted and arrested or charged and locked up for contempt of cop or??? Then come back to the table and share your opinion. See if it changes. Just because you are being held against your will for something you may or may not have done doesn't mean ANYBODY owns you. People locked up are still people with rights. It's really sad to see all the hypocrisy.

There are many innocent people in jail. There are many people in jail who have only been charged with something. County jails are generally temporary holding facilities. There are many felons in lockup. There are many non felons with voting rights. If an officer has no factual knowledge of a felon, then he/she has no business or RAS to do any kind of investigation into voting eligibility. RAS has to be based on more than a hunch. Don't we have enough problems with officer's determining who has rights or not.