Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: Private transfer to California resident?

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    , Arizona, USA

    Private transfer to California resident?


    I have a good friend who goes to college in AZ but only has a CA license. I've been shooting with him quite a bit and would like to give him one of my firearms because he's not able to purchase from an FFL being a CA resident. He has no intentions of going back to CA after college, would I legally be able to 'transfer' or even just 'lend' him a pistol while he's in AZ? Or would he have to get an AZ ID card or drivers license?


  2. #2
    Regular Member EMNofSeattle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    S. Kitsap, Washington state
    Title 18 USC 44. 922

    (It shall be unlawful)
    for any person (other than a licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed 8
    collector) to transfer, sell, trade, give,
    transport, or deliver any firearm to any
    person (other than a licensed importer,
    licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer,
    or licensed collector) who the transferor
    knows or has reasonable cause to believe does not reside in (or if the person
    is a corporation or other business entity, does not maintain a place of business in) the State
    in which the
    transferor resides; except that this
    paragraph shall not apply to (A) the
    transfer, transportation, or delivery of a
    firearm made to carry out a bequest of
    a firearm to, or an acquisition by intestate succession of a firearm by, a person who is permitted to acquire or
    possess a firearm under the laws of the
    State of his residence, and (B) the loan
    or rental of a firearm to any person for
    temporary use for lawful sporting purposes;

    If he has a valid address in AZ he probably resides there. so you could sell him a firearm

    Also you may lend a firearm to him according to that statute

    *I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advice, my internet expertise is no substitute for the advice of a competent attorney licensed to practice law in your state.
    Last edited by EMNofSeattle; 10-11-2012 at 12:54 PM.
    they love our milk and honey, but they preach about some other way of living, when they're running down my country man they're walkin' on the fightin side of me

    NRA Member

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts