• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Private transfer to California resident?

exp15

Hello,

I have a good friend who goes to college in AZ but only has a CA license. I've been shooting with him quite a bit and would like to give him one of my firearms because he's not able to purchase from an FFL being a CA resident. He has no intentions of going back to CA after college, would I legally be able to 'transfer' or even just 'lend' him a pistol while he's in AZ? Or would he have to get an AZ ID card or drivers license?

Thanks

EMNofSeattle

Title 18 USC 44. 922

(It shall be unlawful)
for any person (other than a licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed 8
collector) to transfer, sell, trade, give,
transport, or deliver any firearm to any
person (other than a licensed importer,
licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer,
or licensed collector) who the transferor
knows or has reasonable cause to believe does not reside in (or if the person
is a corporation or other business entity, does not maintain a place of business in) the State
in which the
transferor resides; except that this
paragraph shall not apply to (A) the
transfer, transportation, or delivery of a
firearm made to carry out a bequest of
a firearm to, or an acquisition by intestate succession of a firearm by, a person who is permitted to acquire or
possess a firearm under the laws of the
State of his residence, and (B) the loan
or rental of a firearm to any person for
temporary use for lawful sporting purposes;

If he has a valid address in AZ he probably resides there. so you could sell him a firearm

Also you may lend a firearm to him according to that statute

*I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advice, my internet expertise is no substitute for the advice of a competent attorney licensed to practice law in your state.

Last edited: