Thread: Ideas for this forum

Ideas for this forum

Last thread I created got deleted. This one probably will as well, since it goes beyond the scope of this forum. But thought I'd point out some ideas of some new sections that could be added. This seems to be the one stop shop forum on a national level for those that OC, which is cool. But what is talked about on here? Nothing but OC!. With this many people on here, why not expand on some topics a little bit. I see so many people on here talking about wanting to educate people via their method of carry. But how about educating each other on this forum?

How about a section on training first of all. I see no one this forum talking about training. It would be great to get opinions on various schools people have attended and such.

How about a section on women's personal defense

How about a section on less lethal forms of personal defense - it may keep you out of jail.

How about a seciton on disaster prep.

How about a seciton where people can sell or trade gear. Hell, I have brand new Serpa I'm sure some OC'er would love for dirt cheap.

Just some ideas, I really think this place is lacking huge in training - that in my opinion is the most important.

Anyways, just a thought.
    Scott

Glock 23
    White Hat iwb MaxTuck Holster

Ideas for this forum

This is a forum for open carry. You can talk about any of the above topics so long as you can relate them to open carry. As far as training I have seen numerous threads regarding training. I think these are best brought up in the individual state forums due to where the training is located unless it benefits everyone as a whole. In that case, you could start it in the General Discussion area. For sale or trade ads are specifically banned by forum rules due to the agreement that OCDO has with Google Ads. Ads are what keep the forum up and running and free for us to use as a valuable resource. As far as basically everything else, there is the Social Lounge. I say if you want to see a particular thread, then create it and see where it goes.
    Last edited by thebigsd; 10-11-2012 at 02:29 AM.
    "When seconds count between living or dying, the police are only minutes away."

Quote Originally Posted by ScottE View Post
    .... This seems to be the one stop shop forum on a national level for those that OC, which is cool. But what is talked about on here? Nothing but OC!. With this many people on here, why not expand on some topics a little bit ....
    As you note, OCDO has developed the reputation as being THE place to go for all things OC.

There are already other forums devoted to the subjects you mention, and within those subject-matter forums there is one that is seen as THE place to go for all things related to that subject.

Diluting OCDO would remove its reputation and clutter up the landscape. Your suggestion is very much like asking a Ford forum to start sections about Chevys.

My personal experience over a long and quite eventful life is that while you can get something that will meet your needs by going to a one-stop shop, you get better quality products by going to the specialty shops. If "generally OK" is good enough, then I'm at Wal-Mart with the rest of the herd. If "it's gotta be precisely this and nothing else" then I'm at the specialty shop. While fairly wide ranging within the topic of OC, OCDO is "precisely this and nothing else" so that it can be a specialty shop.

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

Quote Originally Posted by ScottE View Post
    But what is talked about on here? Nothing but OC!.
    Ohmygoodness, alert the press! You do realize the website is called "opencarry", right?

Quote Originally Posted by PistolPackingMomma View Post
    Ohmygoodness, alert the press! You do realize the website is called "opencarry", right?
    .org
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

"Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

Perhaps I was a bit presumptuous to presume he could figure that part out by himself.

Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    I OC for many reasons. You can tell by his quote of me taken out of context........
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    This thread is correctly located in General Discussion as it is not OC or state specific, but is RKBA related.

All of the things recommended by the OP had been considered by the site owners initially. Some were incorporated; others limited or not included. The decision of the judges is final.

Only the Social Lounge has been added to original list of sub-forums.

Form and function of OCDO are very much on target and extremely effective.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Banned
    A section that would be specific to gun maintenance, scope zeroing, and other handgun related topics would be nice.

Founder's Club Member
    I think we have enough sub-fora. Of course, I thought the original 2006 software was great, too. So, what do I know. (No comments from the peanut gallery!)
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen View Post
    (No comments from the peanut gallery!)

Dam* disclaimers....