• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Ideas for this forum

ScottE

Last thread I created got deleted. This one probably will as well, since it goes beyond the scope of this forum. But thought I'd point out some ideas of some new sections that could be added. This seems to be the one stop shop forum on a national level for those that OC, which is cool. But what is talked about on here? Nothing but OC!. With this many people on here, why not expand on some topics a little bit. I see so many people on here talking about wanting to educate people via their method of carry. But how about educating each other on this forum?

How about a section on training first of all. I see no one this forum talking about training. It would be great to get opinions on various schools people have attended and such.

How about a section on women's personal defense

How about a section on less lethal forms of personal defense - it may keep you out of jail.

How about a seciton on disaster prep.

How about a seciton where people can sell or trade gear. Hell, I have brand new Serpa I'm sure some OC'er would love for dirt cheap.

Just some ideas, I really think this place is lacking huge in training - that in my opinion is the most important.

Anyways, just a thought.

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
This is a forum for open carry. You can talk about any of the above topics so long as you can relate them to open carry. As far as training I have seen numerous threads regarding training. I think these are best brought up in the individual state forums due to where the training is located unless it benefits everyone as a whole. In that case, you could start it in the General Discussion area. For sale or trade ads are specifically banned by forum rules due to the agreement that OCDO has with Google Ads. Ads are what keep the forum up and running and free for us to use as a valuable resource. As far as basically everything else, there is the Social Lounge. I say if you want to see a particular thread, then create it and see where it goes.

Last edited:

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
.... This seems to be the one stop shop forum on a national level for those that OC, which is cool. But what is talked about on here? Nothing but OC!. With this many people on here, why not expand on some topics a little bit ....

As you note, OCDO has developed the reputation as being THE place to go for all things OC.

There are already other forums devoted to the subjects you mention, and within those subject-matter forums there is one that is seen as THE place to go for all things related to that subject.

Diluting OCDO would remove its reputation and clutter up the landscape. Your suggestion is very much like asking a Ford forum to start sections about Chevys.

My personal experience over a long and quite eventful life is that while you can get something that will meet your needs by going to a one-stop shop, you get better quality products by going to the specialty shops. If "generally OK" is good enough, then I'm at Wal-Mart with the rest of the herd. If "it's gotta be precisely this and nothing else" then I'm at the specialty shop. While fairly wide ranging within the topic of OC, OCDO is "precisely this and nothing else" so that it can be a specialty shop.

stay safe.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
This thread is correctly located in General Discussion as it is not OC or state specific, but is RKBA related.

All of the things recommended by the OP had been considered by the site owners initially. Some were incorporated; others limited or not included. The decision of the judges is final.

Only the Social Lounge has been added to original list of sub-forums.

Form and function of OCDO are very much on target and extremely effective.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
I think we have enough sub-fora. Of course, I thought the original 2006 software was great, too. So, what do I know. (No comments from the peanut gallery!)