• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Headed to Detroit from northern Kentucky with no carry permit

eagleye

wondering if anyone happens to know the legality of taking my firearm with me for the sole purpos off protecting myself and family.

TheQ

You can't do it.

Cite is surely inbound shortly, but it has something to do with MCL 28.422 et seq or the associated penal code section.

Last edited:

Evil Creamsicle

ETA: I'm leaving what I said here for continuity reasons, but I overlooked what Q said, so please read the whole thread before just taking the advice in this post.

Not sure about Ohio, but, if you're coming to MI with no carry permit, the firearm needs to be transported unloaded in the trunk, preferably in a case. In the car loaded constitutes 'concealed' in MI, as does unloaded but accessible to the driver.

You can Open Carry in some places in MI without a concealed carry license, but there are restrictions... I'll look up the list but anywhere with a liquor license [grocery stores, some gas stations, bars, restaurants], as well as banks and courthouses are amongst the places off limits to you.

Also, since you did not purchase/register the pistol in MI, nor do you have a carry license of any kind, the gun free school zones act applies, so by Federal law you must not come within 1000 feet of a school zone.

Also, avoid college campuses, they are able to make their own rules and most have banned firearms.

...I'll post some law cites in a minute.

Last edited:

Evil Creamsicle

You can't do it.

Cite is surely inbound shortly, but it has something to do with MCL 28.422 et seq or the associated penal code section.

Actually, Q looks like you're right...

Unless i'm misinterpreting this. Here's the full text of MCL 28.422

28.422 subsection 8 said:
(8) An individual who is not a resident of this state is not required to obtain a license under this section if all of the following conditions apply:

(a) The individual is licensed in his or her state of residence to purchase, carry, or transport a pistol.

(b) The individual is in possession of the license described in subdivision (a).

(c) The individual is the owner of the pistol he or she possesses, carries, or transports.

(d) The individual possesses the pistol for a lawful purpose as that term is defined in section 231a of the Michigan penal code, 1931 PA 328, MCL 750.231a.

(e) The individual is in this state for a period of 180 days or less and does not intend to establish residency in this state.

Note the bold

Last edited:

scot623

If you are lucky enough to live in a state which does not require a license to purchase a pistol, you get the bonus prize of not being able to bring it to Michigan. You can only drive through and not stop.

detroit_fan

If you are lucky enough to live in a state which does not require a license to purchase a pistol, you get the bonus prize of not being able to bring it to Michigan. You can only drive through and not stop.

Wouldn't the 1986 Firearm Owners' Protection Act allow you to make short stops for gas/food? I thought it was only if you stopped for lodging or longer stops.

scot623

Wouldn't the 1986 Firearm Owners' Protection Act allow you to make short stops for gas/food? I thought it was only if you stopped for lodging or longer stops.

You are correct. For purposes of refueling or grabbing a quick bite(a 2 hour dinner at Capital Grille is debatable). If your destination is Michigan, or here for an afternoon then you are boned.

maustin195

How does a person from a state with no registration legally move here with their pistols?

smellslikemichigan

Campaign Veteran
Last edited:

maustin195

http://www.kalamazoopublicsafety.or...purchase-and-transfer-for-michigan-residents-
basically, they need to register right away. i think i was in michigan for a few months before i registered, but my PD didn't give me a hard time when i came in to register

So if I read the law correctly you have to break the law to move here with a pistol not registered in your old state. The law says you can't be in possesion of an unregistered pistol and the pistol can't be registered until you move here and establish residency. May only be a technicality but the law does make it legal for 1 group (military)but not all who move here.

stainless1911

Banned
So if I read the law correctly you have to break the law to move here with a pistol not registered in your old state. The law says you can't be in possesion of an unregistered pistol and the pistol can't be registered until you move here and establish residency. May only be a technicality but the law does make it legal for 1 group (military)but not all who move here.

yup.

Evil Creamsicle

Unless you register the pistol before bringing the pistol into the state, ie leave it somewhere... but really, who the heck wants to do that?

Big Gay Al

Michigan Moderator
There's an exception if you're moving here. I asked the state police back in 2001, when I first moved here from Chicago.