Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Kleber WMA Shooting Range

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    152

    Kleber WMA Shooting Range

    Hi Everyone,

    I'm a long-time lurker here, but a newly registered member.

    For a good little while now, I've using the free range at the Kleber WMA in Franklin/Owen counties to practice my marksmanship.

    On my most recent visit there, I noticed two bothersome changes. The first is that the target stands are now fixed at 100 yards with signs forbidding you from moving them, and the second that "no pistol shooting" is prominently posted.

    While I appreciate that this is a free range, it basically makes it useless for me as the only long guns I own are a .22 rifle and a shotgun(already prohibited at these ranges with anything other than a slug).

    Although the ranges are not actively monitored, one fellow who was there on my most recent visit told me he was given a ticket by a game warden for shooting a .22 pistol. The game warden told him that the dirt berm could not handle handgun rounds(a statement which makes no sense to me, as high powered rifles are still okay).

    I'm wondering if

    1. Do the other WMA ranges around the state-such as the Grant county one-now have similar prohibitions in place?

    2. Does anyone know who or what department within fish and wildlife is responsible for the administration of these ranges?

    Thanks

  2. #2
    Regular Member nokie410's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    florence ky
    Posts
    8
    i guess they are changing them all, i went to the one in crittenden last week and it was set up the same way..

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    152
    Thanks-it sounds like it's not worth a trip to Crittenden to me.

    One thing I did wonder about, though-the posted signs say "no pistol shooting." To me, a pistol means a semi-automatic or single shot, although I realize many people use handgun and pistol interchangeably. I'm not in a position to spend the time or the money arguing, but I'd think I would have a good argument if I were ticketed for shooting a revolver(all that I carry).

    I guess that I'm going to have to find somewhere else to practice shooting my handguns and at close range.
    Last edited by bunnspecial; 10-12-2012 at 07:46 PM.

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    152
    I was at Kleber this morning with a friend who was trying to sight-in a new deer rifle he got for Christmas. A CO just happened to drive up while we were there, and I took the chance to ask him what the story was on this.

    Apparently, the real problem was with short range shots hitting the gravel and ricocheting such that the bullets were going up and over the berm then hitting hunters over on the other side of it.

    He also told me that they were working on a solution to be able to lift the restrictions...I assume that it will probably entail making the berm higher. The WMA ranges are a great a free resource so I hope that they're able to.

  5. #5
    Activist Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Ashland, KY
    Posts
    1,847
    Quote Originally Posted by bunnspecial View Post
    I was at Kleber this morning with a friend who was trying to sight-in a new deer rifle he got for Christmas. A CO just happened to drive up while we were there, and I took the chance to ask him what the story was on this.

    Apparently, the real problem was with short range shots hitting the gravel and ricocheting such that the bullets were going up and over the berm then hitting hunters over on the other side of it.

    He also told me that they were working on a solution to be able to lift the restrictions...I assume that it will probably entail making the berm higher. The WMA ranges are a great a free resource so I hope that they're able to.
    Did he have any documentation to prove that bullets were hitting people? That seems like something we would've heard about in the news.

    I know plenty of anti-gunners that would call and claim such nonsense was happening just to get a range shut down. Hopefully they are basing their restrictions on facts and not hearsay.
    Last edited by KYGlockster; 12-29-2012 at 04:59 PM.
    "I never in my life seen a Kentuckian without a gun..."-Andrew Jackson

    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect every one who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are ruined."-Patrick Henry; speaking of protecting the rights of an armed citizenry.

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    152
    I apologize for the poor phrasing above. What he said was that there was concern that they could hit hunters. Whether it did happen or not, I'm not entirely sure. As we were both wearing earplugs and I generally hate talking while wearing them, I didn't push it too much further although I should have while I had his ear.

    I agree that it definitely sounds like something an anti would fabricate to get this shut down. I also have my doubts about just how dangerous a ricochet bullet in freefall would be, but that's also beside the point.

    Bear in mind also that the WMAs are primarily hunting/fishing/hiking resources and I've heard complaints both from hunters and hikers about the shooting ranges at these. They're not even so concerned about the danger of them, just that they consider the noise a nuisance. I could see someone like this making up a story bullets hitting them or nearly hitting them.

    Incidentally, I might also add that 100 yards is just about useless for trying to sight in a new rifle when you have no idea where it's hitting. I think I may have to haul my friend up to Knob Creek next week sometime.

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Louisville, Kentucky, USA
    Posts
    107
    Quote Originally Posted by bunnspecial View Post
    I apologize for the poor phrasing above. What he said was that there was concern that they could hit hunters. Whether it did happen or not, I'm not entirely sure. As we were both wearing earplugs and I generally hate talking while wearing them, I didn't push it too much further although I should have while I had his ear.

    I agree that it definitely sounds like something an anti would fabricate to get this shut down. I also have my doubts about just how dangerous a ricochet bullet in freefall would be, but that's also beside the point.

    Bear in mind also that the WMAs are primarily hunting/fishing/hiking resources and I've heard complaints both from hunters and hikers about the shooting ranges at these. They're not even so concerned about the danger of them, just that they consider the noise a nuisance. I could see someone like this making up a story bullets hitting them or nearly hitting them.

    Incidentally, I might also add that 100 yards is just about useless for trying to sight in a new rifle when you have no idea where it's hitting. I think I may have to haul my friend up to Knob Creek next week sometime.
    sounds like they need a better back stop to me... just my .02.. that and better thought when creating a range... i wonder how good the hunting is right next to a firing range? (sarcasm of course) :-)
    I got a gun for my wife.. good trade!

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Madisonville, Mortons Gap KY(Western Ky), ,
    Posts
    89
    I bet the hunting is actually really, really good... I've had to shot over and around deer at Anderson County's club many many times. They don't care your shooting in their direction or not, and just mosy off as you change targets. Very use to people.

  9. #9
    Activist Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Ashland, KY
    Posts
    1,847
    Quote Originally Posted by klloyd View Post
    I bet the hunting is actually really, really good... I've had to shot over and around deer at Anderson County's club many many times. They don't care your shooting in their direction or not, and just mosy off as you change targets. Very use to people.
    I've had similiar encounters at my range. You wouldn't see any mature bucks around, but I have witnessed numerous does and young bucks. Deer are smart creatures, and they know they will not have to worry about getting shot at a gun-range. They are much wiser than many people believe.
    "I never in my life seen a Kentuckian without a gun..."-Andrew Jackson

    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect every one who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are ruined."-Patrick Henry; speaking of protecting the rights of an armed citizenry.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •