Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How do you "Weather Proof" your sidearm?

How do you "Weather Proof" your sidearm?

Today i was walking through the walmart parking lot and the liquid sunshine started to fall. This got me a little concerned, so the question popped up. How do i weather proof my carry gun?

So what precautions do you folks take to keep your weapon high and dry?

-PJ
    -PJ

"A well-regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed." -Amendment Two, The Constitution of the United States

"The right of the individual citizen to bear arms in defense of himself, or the state, shall not be impaired..." -Amendment Two, The Constitution of the United States

Quote Originally Posted by Munkey Butt View Post
    Today i was walking through the walmart parking lot and the liquid sunshine started to fall. This got me a little concerned, so the question popped up. How do i weather proof my carry gun?

-PJ
    You will not like my answers, but here we go. 1) carry a Glock, and 2) carry concealed - either of these options, or preferrably both will work well.
    Last edited by ScottE; 10-12-2012 at 04:28 PM.
    Scott

Glock 23
    White Hat iwb MaxTuck Holster

Quote Originally Posted by ScottE View Post
    You will not like my answers, but here we go. 1) carry a Glock, and 2) carry concealed - either of these options, or preferrably both will work well.
    why glock? what makes it "Weather proof"?
    -PJ

"A well-regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed." -Amendment Two, The Constitution of the United States

"The right of the individual citizen to bear arms in defense of himself, or the state, shall not be impaired..." -Amendment Two, The Constitution of the United States

Founder's Club Member
    Mine was manufactured weather-proof: stainless steel.

I've had exactly one carbon steel carry gun. Even without rain, just humidity would flash-rust places where the finish was holster worn. The constant oiling and rubbing off flash-rust convinced me to go with stainless steel. With that said, you can probably submerge most modern handguns without harm--as long as you dry them and re-oil them. So, there's the hint. Don't try to weather-proof; just wipe it down afterwards.
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

I don't know. It's design? It's the most widely used handgun by cops and military. Ask them how well they work in the rain.
    Scott

Glock 23
    White Hat iwb MaxTuck Holster

Founder's Club Member
    Its not. It has plenty of parts that are, for example, the polymer frame and coated slide. But, there are also parts that rust if they get wet. Its just that they are more weather-proof than say blued steel.
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

Simple -- I don't. I also wear a jacket on occasion.

-PJ
    Since I hunt with steel rifles I prefer using a good synthetic motor oil my favorite is AMSOIL. Use most any weight motor or gear oil they make and apply a lite coating to all the metal surfaces and then use it.

Another option would be to find a good gun paint like Cera coat, duracoat, KG Kote, etc whatever one you like the best.

Maybe get a clear plastic bag to wrap it in. A

As for high and dry in Washington, don't bother with that unless you want to CC.
    Provision for free medical attendance and nursing, for clothing, for food, for housing, for the education of children, and a hundred other matters, might with equal propriety be proposed as tending to relieve the employee of mental strain and worry. --- These matters obviously lie outside the orbit of congressional power. (Railroad Retirement Board v Alton Railroad)

Just place your arm over the top of the gun and walk fast. Most guns manufactured today can withstand a little rain and snow. If it does get a little wet just dry it off. I keep a little hand towel in the car for just that purpose.
    Last edited by thebigsd; 10-12-2012 at 05:20 PM.
    "When seconds count between living or dying, the police are only minutes away."

Quote Originally Posted by ScottE View Post
    Extremely Biased and not what the OP was looking for..

Most Modern Polymer Guns can withstand some rain. Unless your carrying some bottom of the barrel Kel-tec or Taurus, your gonna be fine.

Founder's Club Member
    Nice to see you again, Mainsail.

Say, when did you joint the Mounties? That RCMP tunic looks really sharp.

The only blued guns I have are long guns and my Ruger Mk I. My Walther P99 has the same nitride (or whatever it's called) finish that Glocks do, so I don't worry about it. If I ever decide to carry my Ruger Blackhawk, it's stainless, so I'm not going to worry about it much either. But I do make sure I keep a comfy allocation of CLP on them just in case.
    "Anyone worth shooting once is worth shooting twice." -Zeus

"Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back!" - Malcolm Reynolds

EDC = Walther PPQ 9mm

I carry steel. Most already know, a CZ82 in kydex. After thirty-five years of Military service I have found that cleaning it when soiled always works. I have carried in almost every kind of weather you can imagine and cleaning always been successful for me. I remember carrying a Remington made 1911A1 when I was a young Navy Diver in Vietnam. I used to swim with that pistol and it always worked. My daily carry is still steel and sometimes I clean it just for fun.
    "Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the people's liberty teeth (and) keystone... the rifle and the pistol are equally indispensable... more than 99% of them by their silence indicate that they are in safe and sane hands. The very atmosphere of firearms everywhere restrains evil interference .When firearms go, all goes, we need them every hour." -- George Washington

Hey MB, just noticed you're in my neck of the woods! As for the weather, either keep a dry cloth handy, or, keep it coated in CLP. The other concern is what type of holster do you use. If you use leather, it is just as important to keep your leather dry/protected as well. Wet leather around metal parts can do harm too! Leave a blued gun in a holster in moist conditions and when you pull it out of the holster you can get a shock at how much surface rust can occur. I've seen it also occur with rifles stored in soft cases in moist climates, when not properly coated... not pretty.
    Be safe, be prepared, and carry on!

Alle Ihre Basisstation jetzt zu uns gehören

Quote Originally Posted by WOD View Post
    Hey MB, just noticed you're in my neck of the woods! As for the weather, either keep a dry cloth handy, or, keep it coated in CLP. The other concern is what type of holster do you use. If you use leather, it is just as important to keep your leather dry/protected as well. Wet leather around metal parts can do harm too! Leave a blued gun in a holster in moist conditions and when you pull it out of the holster you can get a shock at how much surface rust can occur. I've seen it also occur with rifles stored in soft cases in moist climates, when not properly coated... not pretty.
    Yeah, my grandpa had some guns stored in soft cases under the bed in a room that he didn't heat anymore. The S&W 12 gauge was coated in rust and rather pitted. Thankfully the bore was still good. I was able to clean it up and re-blue it. It's not a pretty gun anymore but at least it's functional.
    Guns don't kill people, bullets do!

If you are using good quality ammo the firearm will function in the rain. You can seal the primer with nail polish or paint. It really is difficult to get water in ammo. The case and primer are pretty much air tight with a factory crimp. I have had cartridges get washed and I tested them and they still fired.

As far as the firearm, dry it and oil it as soon as you are finished with it.

It is safe to warm the handgun to around 100F to help dry out those places you may have a hard time getting to. If a oven is not around the gun after mostly dried can be put in a bag of white rice to help dry it out more. Flash rust is how guns are slow rust blued, stripping all oils and boiling gun in distilled water for 15 minutes will turn the rust into blue. Then buff with a course cloth, oil with gun oil.
    Last edited by WalkingWolf; 10-12-2012 at 09:44 PM.
    It is well that war is so terrible – otherwise we would grow too fond of it.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

Its washington, lived here all my life-when the weather is cold and/or rainy i wear a jacket. my choice to OC or CC is soley based on weather- if it is not raining and its warm enough i OC and if it isn't i have a jacket to keep my sidearm dry, and myself warm and dry as well.
    +thought for the day+
    ++victory needs no explanation, defeat allows none++

Founder's Club Member
    Just like my boots, I rub mink oil all over it.

I tried spar varnish, but it gummed things up. And, besides I don't go out on the ocean that much anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by WalkingWolf View Post
    If you are using good quality ammo the firearm will function in the rain. You can seal the primer with nail polish or paint. It really is difficult to get water in ammo. The case and primer are pretty much air tight with a factory crimp. I have had cartridges get washed and I tested them and they still fired.
    All your info was really great for this subject. I just wanted to add one thing to this part. You can paint the crimp line with nail polish too if you're paranoid.
    Provision for free medical attendance and nursing, for clothing, for food, for housing, for the education of children, and a hundred other matters, might with equal propriety be proposed as tending to relieve the employee of mental strain and worry. --- These matters obviously lie outside the orbit of congressional power. (Railroad Retirement Board v Alton Railroad)

Founder's Club Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Freedom1Man View Post
    All your info was really great for this subject. I just wanted to add one thing to this part. You can paint the crimp line with nail polish too if you're paranoid.
    Maybelline or Revlon? And why onlly the crimp line when there are so many fashionable opportunities here? And what color goes best with brass? Oh, but what if I have nickel cases? Then what color do I use? Should I harmonize it with my eye-shadow or my lip gloss. Decisions. Decisions.
    Last edited by Citizen; 10-12-2012 at 11:00 PM.

Since the first m16 was put in my hands in 1969 until now I have cleaned every gun I have ever owned in hot water. Often taking long guns into a steaming hot shower. getting guns wet does not hurt them. Just dry it.

Quote Originally Posted by Steveboos View Post
    Extremely Biased and not what the OP was looking for..

Most Modern Polymer Guns can withstand some rain. Unless your carrying some bottom of the barrel Kel-tec or Taurus, your gonna be fine.
    Really? I gladly/proudly carry both with out "rusting". My EDC OC is a Taurus 24/7 PRO DS 9mm.
    "The beauty of the Second Amenment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." Thomas Jefferson
    "Evil often triumphs, but never conquers." Joseph Roux
    http://nwfood.shelfreliance.com

Quote Originally Posted by Freedom1Man View Post
    To be honest I don't think water can get in, some of the military ammo is sealed on the primer. I guess it is more possible for water to get in around the primer. With factory ammo or factory crimp, the ammo is so tight I highly doubt water could get in. I bought 500 presized and primed cases from Winchester some years back and they came with sealed primers.
    It is well that war is so terrible – otherwise we would grow too fond of it.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen View Post
    Maybelline or Revlon? And why onlly the crimp line when there are so many fashionable opportunities here? And what color goes best with brass? Oh, but what if I have nickel cases? Then what color do I use? Should I harmonize it with my eye-shadow or my lip gloss. Decisions. Decisions.
    Since it is you asking, I will say that Avon is what you'll want. Clear goes with any thing. If you want to be fashionable you might want to color coordinate your color to paint your bullets to match your brass. You might want to paint your primer too.

If it's anyone else though I will suggest the cheap stuff.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast